Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1998 1.4 Polo Basic settings  (Read 7129 times)
slimwadey

« on: September 06, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »

Hi
My son has a 1.4 98 polo, its standard , but runs a bit rough, i have used a diag tool on it to look for faults and found a fault in the engine management
its says something like "basic setting not correct" , this is for both ignition timing and throttle body too (2 faults total)
i have tried to reset the basic settings but the tool says it is not possible (bosch kts 650)
i have tried another diag tool (audatex vhc) and get same errors
I own a galetto cable, is there any software i could use with this to do basic settings etc ??
The car has a misfire at 2500rpm and i want to eliminate the basic settings problems, i have changed all the regular things like plugs and leads and dizzy cap etc

Any help ?
Thanks
Steve
jackson.amrol@gmail.com

"you sir are an animal"

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »

ross-tech.com knocks it out of the park for walk through's and diagnostic procedures..

Lost, No.. My minds around here somewhere..
Shh, I'm calling my mom.. "It's 3AM" SHH!
Mom, is there such a thing as kosher pork?
"I'm not bailing you out tonight"...
slimwadey

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:08:27 AM »

Yes vcds would do the trick , i dont think i can use it with the cable i have, i would need a ross tech hex cable, which at thew moment i cant afford after turning the car from this

To this

ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:29:14 AM »

There is no need for a hex+can on a 1998.

A cheap ebay cable (the one used for flashing) and VCDS lite (registered) would do the trick.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
adam-

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »

Basic Settings can't be performed if there is errors.  Chances are the timing is wrong, or your throttle body needs cleaned.  What are the errors anyway?

Once they are cleared, it should perform.  Looks good though, are you on ClubPolo?  I used to have the 6n2 (with an 1.6 AFH hybrid, bike carbs, running a crank sensor for revs).  Only one in the UK (and world) that I could find.

Anyway, if you've replaced or moved the dizzy is needs to be set first.  Pretty sure there's a guide on CP anyway, failing that, Google.  Sure it's something to do with the temp sensor being unplugged which locks the timing at idle at a set point, then get a light on it and time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: