Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: feels like misfire and low power. No CEL or codes. only under boost AWW 1.8T  (Read 13594 times)
oldcarguy85

Hi,
so i finally got a tune that's working well (sort of), but i have an odd issue and i can't tell if it's hardware or my tune.

Problem:
Car runs well in all conditions less than or equal to 15psi of boost.  anything over that (unless i'm going to down hill) i get what feels like a misfire.  THe car feels generalyl like crap, stutters a bit, holds boost well, but feels like it has no power.  It's very strange.  THere is no knock retard, 0 misfire count, and maf reading seems to be ok.

Things i've tried:
-Adding more fuel with tune
-decreasing ignition timing with tune
-took apart cracked coil pack wiring and taped all wires up
-replaced 2 coils.  i also moved them around to see if i got any codes or anything (i didn't)
-disconnected map and drove car -- it ran the same

Ideas/concerns
-I really can't tell what's going on with AFR.  i think maybe ECUxplot is calculating the actual AFR wrong or something?  It shows veyr lean.  I looked at wideband O2 voltage, and i think it's spot on where it should be.  Maybe someone can verify?  is the correct calculator Voltage *2 + 1 ? or is it maybe Voltage * 2 + .96?  not sure what the sensor on this car is.
-bad maf?  i don't think it is as it ran the same when disconnected
-still bad coil wiring -- i don't really buy this.  the updated wiring is only $70 so i might just grab it.. but the swap is kinda a PITA.

Anyway -- i really appreciate any help.  The log is kinda useless, but i attached it anyway.

Tune and XDF are attached for reference.  The attached file might have slightly different LDRXN and KFLDIMX than what was logged, but the car is running exactly the same with this file.
oldcarguy85

sorry forgot the log
userpike

stock FPR still?

I ask because you said you changed fueling around. I took a look and your TVUB looks funny to me. it doesn't show the voltage values for its axis?

I think if it's not software you need to up the fuel pressure to get the injectors out of max DC. you can see in xPlot that @ 5500 rpm the injector DC is maxed out but your AFR is only 16/1 when the BTS map shows AFR should be way lower than that assuming it is being used at the time. Even LAMFA shows AFR should be lower than that so I assume because of the rising lean AFR through the rpm range you are getting high EGT's so the BTS fueling map would be used so that makes matters seem worse. If you've already changed out the restrictive stock FPR for atleast a 4bar OEM unit with this inj DC and AFR, the pump is either worn out or unable to maintain required fuel pressure.

somebody else should look at your WGDC. Is that normal? i guess its just trying to regulate "the taper down" of the boost?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:48:52 PM by userpike » Logged
oldcarguy85

Yes, it's still a stock FPR, no i haven't touched TVUB, and yes i saw the max DC issue at 5500rpm, but that's not where i'm having the issue.  It's definitely concerning.  I was under the impression stock fueling hardware could handle a tune like this (this is just a stock engine with stock K03s).  I can certainly dial back the boost a bit at high rpms. What's really odd though is that long before 5500RPM, the afr in xPlot shows it going way lean compared to requested AFR even though inj duty cycle is nowhere near max... I'm really confused as to whether or not i'm logging the right thing there.  The O2 voltage seems to disagree with the graphed AFR.  I'm wondering if maybe i have a bad wideband and that's causing some of this? 

overspeed

who made this file ?    Shocked

He will have to read the Wiki over and over again...
oldcarguy85

who made this file ?    Shocked

He will have to read the Wiki over and over again...

Thanks for the useless post. I made it. I'm definitely still learning. Is there something specific you don't like about it?
oldcarguy85

Can someone please verify if I'm logging the right thing for AFR or not?  If the car really is leaning out as bad as that graph shows, i will start looking at the fuel system.
overspeed

Thanks for the useless post. I made it. I'm definitely still learning. Is there something specific you don't like about it?

Useless ? don´t think so... it´s VERY clear: who made (you) will have to read wiki over and over again (becase many concepts were bad undestood or aplied).

Just to begin
KFMIRL too high (requesting much more than turbo can reach)
KFMIOP wrong (raised)
LDRXN to high
LAMFA too much rich in mid range

there are other things that I consider wrong or bad modified...
oldcarguy85

Useless ? don´t think so... it´s VERY clear: who made (you) will have to read wiki over and over again (becase many concepts were bad undestood or aplied).

Just to begin
KFMIRL too high (requesting much more than turbo can reach)
KFMIOP wrong (raised)
LDRXN to high
LAMFA too much rich in mid range

there are other things that I consider wrong or bad modified...

KFMIRL -- yes, the last axis is much higher than what the turbo can handle.  This will never get touched though, as LDRXN will be used.  Don't see your point here or how this could be affecting my problem.  Unless your saying somehow torque intervention or something is happening (but i don't think that's what's happening)

KFMIOP - definitely not wrong to raise the last row in this map.  The original values are around 82% which was artificially limiting request.  This was proven in a separate thread by myself and another user experiencing what seemed like artificial boost limitations.

LDRXN - might be a bit high in the high RPMs -- i'll give you that, but that's not affecting this problem (which occurs in mid-range when the turbo can actualyl product over 15psi)

LAMFA -- yes, it's too rich.  I kept it incredibly safe to try to rule out all issues with knock retard or anything like that.

NOW -- do you have any ideas related to why this problem might be happening?  Note: this isn't a rate my tune post.

Also, your first post WAS completely useless and offered absolutely 0 helpful information.  Most people on this forum offer a lot of great advice, so i hate seeing posts like that.
ddillenger

You have 1 of 2 things going on. You're misfiring causing a lean condition, or your lean condition is causing misfires. You need to figure that out. Is misfire detection enabled? Check blocks 15 and 16 (just 15 if you have a 4 cylinder) during the run, see if it says ENABLED or not next to the block.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
oldcarguy85

You have 1 of 2 things going on. You're misfiring causing a lean condition, or your lean condition is causing misfires. You need to figure that out. Is misfire detection enabled? Check blocks 15 and 16 (just 15 if you have a 4 cylinder) during the run, see if it says ENABLED or not next to the block.

thanks man.  so am i hearing that i AM in fact logging the correct thing for AFR, and it is, in fact, running very lean as soon as boost builds?  Does the O2 voltage seem to match up with the AFR in the graph?  the wideband O2 voltage seems to hover right at 1.5V for almost the entire pull (until the very end where it goes to almost 1.8 -- very lean).  Is 1.5V 13:1 or 12.6:1 -- or is my math way off?

Thanks again!
oldcarguy85

ok -- so that was very helpful!!! it turns out misfire detection switches on and off when i'm experiencing the problem.  I will research now why this is happening, but maybe you can shed some light on what can disable misfire detection?

either  way -- once i figure out if that lean reading is accurate it will really help point me in teh right direction.  I'm guessing it will probably just need a set of coils and new coil wiring harness.

Thanks again man -- i've said it before, but your info always really helps me!
ddillenger

ok -- so that was very helpful!!! it turns out misfire detection switches on and off when i'm experiencing the problem.  I will research now why this is happening, but maybe you can shed some light on what can disable misfire detection?

either  way -- once i figure out if that lean reading is accurate it will really help point me in teh right direction.  I'm guessing it will probably just need a set of coils and new coil wiring harness.

Thanks again man -- i've said it before, but your info always really helps me!

Need logs!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
oldcarguy85

There is a log in the second post. Should I do another one?  Do u want me to log wether misfire detection is enabled or disabled?

ddillenger

No. Your fuel system is so inadequate it's a miracle you haven't damaged something.

What turbo? What injectors? FPR? Fuel pump? Other supporting mods?

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: