Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Great Windows XP/7 netbooks?  (Read 4592 times)
stolenheartdealer

« on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »

Do any exist?  I had a falling apart hp mini 10 which worked alright but was starting to fall to pieces, plastic bits breaking all over the place.  So I found an ACER C200? 11.6 netbook that ran windows 8 and I was able to get it downgraded to windows 7.  The downgrade hasn't been flawless as the drivers are a bit off, there's a bug where trackpad/keyboard input will freeze and you have to sleep/wake the computer to get input back, there's the auto? dimming screen cycles brightness on occasion and the battery life just SUCKS!

So can anyone recommend a small laptop with a good specs and great support for xp or 7 NO 8 and 32bit would be GREAT!
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:09:37 AM »

I used an acer aspire one for a couple years. I got the 11" screen model, it fit in my glovebox, and with the extended battery it was good for around 18 hours of continuous use. I never had an issue running any of the tuning software I used.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
turboat

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »

Im a firm believer in a secondhand business grade laptop, rather than a new consumer one.

Im running a lenovo X60, dual core 1.8gig. Was about £60 from ebay and a battery for it was about $15, its got a 1024x768 screen, magnesium chassis and lid (so it'll take the knocks getting kicked around the garage floor) and its nice and fast. Buying now I'd probably buy a X61 or X200 so I wasnt stuck at 3gb of ram, but if you want to stay 32bit that caps you anyway.

for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X60-Core-Duo-T2400-1-83GHz-2GB-60GB-12-1-IBM-/141342739429?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item20e8af0be5

majorahole

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:17:58 AM »

i agree with business class lappys. usually companies get new every few years, so they sell off their old for cheap. and then they arent that out of date.
personally since my laptops i edit with have batteries that are shit, i use a lil aspire netbook for flashing and logging. works well and batt life is good. althought it would be nice to have everything on one laptop
stolenheartdealer

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:25:02 AM »

The current aspire I have is nice but without the native win 7 and the built in battery (plus it's a new computer so a new battery probably wouldn't help) it's just not ideal.  The old HP mini was pretty solid besides well, not being very solidly built.  The X61 looks nice but I definitely do not want the 'transformer' version but besides that am I right in understanding the X60 is magnesium and the x61 is plastic but faster?  I saw some other e100's that were more like netbooks without a cd-rom but they also didn't look much like 'business class' computers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: