Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Xylene as Octane boost??  (Read 21011 times)
A6_C5_Allroad

« on: April 10, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »

Is the use of Xylene as an octane booster bad for the 2.7T engine and fuel components??

I live in North Central California and I used to have access to 93 octane fuel at a local 76 gas station, now that station no longer sells 93 & 100 octane fuel. Subsequently, I cannot use my more aggressive tune.   

I have access to almost limitless Xylene, Toluene and Methanol ( stuff that doesn't quite meet standards of semi-conducter industry, but is superior to what once was for sale on hardware and paint store shelves ).   Anyway, I've heard that if Xylene is used along with say, 91 oct. fuel at an 8/1 ration ( 8 gallons of 91 oct. fuel to 1 gallon xyelene ) that I can raise my average octane level to 93 and as long as a couple tablespoons of auto-trans fluid is added to the mix, the should be no lubrication issues.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?   If so, is it advisable to use?   I just cannot find any high octane fuel anyhwere near where I live.

Thanks for reading!
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:09:26 PM »

I think toluene is probably the cheapest and easiest to work with, and i happen to know it is 100% safe Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
RS-MAD

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 04:50:22 PM »

Is the use of Xylene as an octane booster bad for the 2.7T engine and fuel components??

I live in North Central California and I used to have access to 93 octane fuel at a local 76 gas station, now that station no longer sells 93 & 100 octane fuel. Subsequently, I cannot use my more aggressive tune.   

I have access to almost limitless Xylene, Toluene and Methanol ( stuff that doesn't quite meet standards of semi-conducter industry, but is superior to what once was for sale on hardware and paint store shelves ).   Anyway, I've heard that if Xylene is used along with say, 91 oct. fuel at an 8/1 ration ( 8 gallons of 91 oct. fuel to 1 gallon xyelene ) that I can raise my average octane level to 93 and as long as a couple tablespoons of auto-trans fluid is added to the mix, the should be no lubrication issues.

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?   If so, is it advisable to use?   I just cannot find any high octane fuel anyhwere near where I live.

Thanks for reading!

Im using xylene with great success with mixture 80%fuel 20%xylene.Just put 20% and see what happen to knock Wink
jackson.amrol@gmail.com

"you sir are an animal"

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:14 PM »

I keep a gallon of Xylene handy, but It eats paint like crazy. Be careful while handling.

Lost, No.. My minds around here somewhere..
Shh, I'm calling my mom.. "It's 3AM" SHH!
Mom, is there such a thing as kosher pork?
"I'm not bailing you out tonight"...
AudiMan85

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »

I use to have a excel spreadsheet that told you how to make higher octane fuels with paint store chemicals I forget which one of the few mentioned above but the spreadsheet gives u 2 different ways to make 93 or higher fuel. I will search the forums I found it on and I'll post it. And yes it did mention the use of ATF also and it calculated the mixer amounts. I didn't have access to E85 or anything higher then that locally (within 50 miles) so my last car I decided to run meth injection and I don't know where that file went. But it was very useful.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:59:11 PM by AudiMan85 » Logged

"Ride like I got a horse stable under my hood" ~ The Game - Too Much
Snow Trooper

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 09:01:54 PM »

I suggest people DO NOT use Xylene, But I suggest people DO use Toluene.  Up to a 50 mix is normal.  Can run timing well past MBT.

On that note, please sell me lots of good toluene, I can only get the crap stuff here and I have to order a pallet at a time from Texas, via NV if I want better/real stuff.

I sent you a PM as I now see we are semi local.

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 09:47:48 PM »

....and with that, Nefmoto was added to the anti terrorist watchlist.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Snow Trooper

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »

....and with that, Nefmoto was added to the anti terrorist watchlist.

One of the b5 s4 OGs was raided by the FBI for purchasing too much toluene.  It was hilarious.

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 11:28:09 AM »

FWIW i'm told xylene isn't that chemically different from toluene.

ymmv. but i think it just comes down to pricing/availability/purity at some point.

both are carcinogens and very very nasty Smiley

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
cerips

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »

Correct, toluene is methyl benzene formula C6H5CH3 and xylene is dimethyl benzene formula C6H4(CH3)2.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »

I suggest people DO NOT use Xylene, But I suggest people DO use Toluene.  Up to a 50 mix is normal.  Can run timing well past MBT.

On that note, please sell me lots of good toluene, I can only get the crap stuff here and I have to order a pallet at a time from Texas, via NV if I want better/real stuff.

I sent you a PM as I now see we are semi local.

Snowtrooper, I get the stuff for free and I've had access to all three chemicals ( Toluene, Xylene and Methanol ) for several years now, always too afraid/ignorant to use the stuff in my tank.
Give me a week and I'll get a few 50 gal drums together.    No need to pay as I don't pay for it.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 07:03:08 PM »

ymmv. but i think it just comes down to pricing/availability/purity at some point.

both are carcinogens and very very nasty Smiley

It is some caustic aromatic, that's for sure. I got some on my hand once when I was adding to my W/M Injection tank and didn't wash my hands right away. Five mins later, I was in agony.   It is a very, very dangerous chemical, but from what I read, it really adds up in the fuel tank.  Grin
AudiMan85

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »

This is the best I can do for you guys. Found calculator/excel file for Toluene and a webpage that has more info and gas grades listed in it.

FYI:
Toluene is 114 octane
Xylene is 117 octane

Webpage
http://www.serioussolutions.com/evo/octcalc.htm

Spreadsheet below in attachments

Hope this helps everyone.

"Ride like I got a horse stable under my hood" ~ The Game - Too Much
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 12:43:31 AM »

This is the best I can do for you guys. Found calculator/excel file for Toluene and a webpage that has more info and gas grades listed in it.

FYI:
Toluene is 114 octane
Xylene is 117 octane

Webpage

Excellent and thank you Audiman85!  There's some really good info in there. A lot more than I knew before.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 01:00:02 AM »

FYI:
Toluene is 114 octane
Xylene is 117 octane

Webpage

Thanks to Audiman85 for the the website concerning Toluene to gasoline ratios.   I've converted the webpage to PDF for easy download and filing.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: