Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Q: Stock tune: has BMW messed up the KFMIRL map on my Motronic ME7.2 DME? A: No!  (Read 18614 times)
wreeve

Have BMW made a mistake!? I can’t quite believe it. I have double checked this from a fresh flash of the whole DME using the WinKFP BMW tools and a new installation of the stock binaries.

Here is the KFMIRL map:

Here is what it looks like when I have moved those 6 entries:

I doubt you would get to those map points on a drive which is why I haven't noticed it on the road! Presumably at very light throttles; high rpm; a lot of fuel would get dumped in?

Here is KFMIOP by the way; looks like I would expect:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:12:24 AM by wreeve » Logged
Bische

Sign the Z?

If the map was infact like that, the ECU would not dump fuel. It would request alot of load.
nyet
Administrator

Agreed. Looks like a sign issue.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
wreeve

Here is the raw hex: Just looked like they have rolled three map points. This can't be intentional can it?

Bische

How accurate is the definition?

I actually think the map is 13x20 instead of 16x16, you can verify the map size by looking at the byte before the axis. If we assume 760 is the first value of the rpm axis in 8bit, then the byte before is 0D, 0D x 40 =520 Smiley
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:32:37 AM by Bische » Logged
wreeve

The definition is from the same DME but a different firmware version; so the location of the maps and the axis are in different memory locations. How I found the new location of the maps was to perform a hex search of the map data from one .bin to another .bin. The maps are unique and all found only one instance. Apart from this KFZIRL map.

Here is the rpm axis; starting at 0x5722

The map data is identical between the files apart from those last three columns. The map in the original firmware is a 16 x 16.
The KFZIOP map is also 16 x 16 and identical in both versions of the firmware.

If I upload the .bins and some addresses would you mind having a look? I can't believe that BMW would mess up.

My definition lists the rpm as 16bit (LoHi) and 0.25 * Eprom
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:39:39 AM by wreeve » Logged
IamwhoIam

Why don't you post your file here?

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
nyet
Administrator

I take back my post. definitely not a sign issue.

would need to see bin.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
wreeve

Here is the full story!  It’s a long(ish) story! Car is a BMW 4.4i V8 fitted in a 5 series. The 4.6i V8 fitted to the X5 communicates oil temperature via the CAN bus. The wiring diagram is identical. Both use the same DME (ECU). The 4.6i runs the latest version of the DME firmware.
DME running old version of firmware. Data area OLD.Bin. Car ran like this for years!
I needed the latest version of firmware to get a CAN message for oil temperature transmitted. This only happens on the 4.6 litre version of the engine! However there is a 4.4 litre tune for this firmware with the CAN message disabled. That 4.4 litre tune is also for the X5.
No problem. Flash the latest version of the firmware and the data area for the 4.6 litre version and swap over the map areas from the 4.4 litre tune.
Problem: No CAN message.
Solution: Find the map/data which controls the CAN message and copy that from the 4.6 tune to the 4.4 tune.
Done. Works fine. Car drives fine. So I have the latest firmware; the 4.4i maps but tuned for the X5 and not the 5 series. Throttle response is different to the 5 series maps; presumably to compensate for the extra weight!
Problem: Curiosity got the better of me and I looked at the maps; there isn’t much difference between the 5 series and the X5 tune. All look very similar apart from KFMIRL which has that strange hump.
If anyone has time to have a look for me I would appreciate it.
Here is what I attach:
GF11286 7533623 NEW.xdf = This is the TunerPro file with locations from the new firmware.
GF11268 E39 OLD.xdf = This is the TunerPro file with locations from the old firmware.
E39 OLD.Bin = The original tune for the E39, old firmware.
X5 NEW.Bin = The tune for the X5, new firmware.
So my question: What is happening to KFMIRL in the NEW files? Is it correct or should I “correct it” to look like the OLD files?
At the moment I have “corrected” the map in NEW.Bin to look like the map from OLD.Bin.
Car runs and drives superbly. But have I messed up?

http://www.reeve.org.uk/NetMoto/E39_OLD.Bin
http://www.reeve.org.uk/NetMoto/X5_NEW.Bin
http://www.reeve.org.uk/NetMoto/E39_OLD.xdf
http://www.reeve.org.uk/NetMoto/X5_NEW.xdf
ddillenger

Matches the Bosch number of your NEW file, so I assume it's what you want Smiley

If this one isn't suitable, Let me know what Bosch numbers would be better, I'll see if I have any of them!

I looked, KFMIRL looks normal. Nothing like what you posted.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:16:58 AM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
wreeve

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »

Thanks. Just looking though some maps. The IRL at least looks 16 x 16.

But as if things weren't confused enough :-).

0261204620 is the ECU number of my old ECU. I have flashed in the software and tune from a 0 261 207 106 Bosch number. The ECU in the car is still the 0261204620 hardware but I have forced in the firmware from a 0 261 207 106. To be honest I didn't think it would work but it is running fine! The hardware differences must be very minimal.

The reason I did this was it's only the latest firmware which contains the code to transmit oil temp via CAN.

What is very interesting is that hardware number (the 0261204620) isn't in the file I flashed so the BMW flash program (WinKFP) must add it automatically; along with the VIN number.

Maybe I should buy a 106 DME from eBay and run that but I don't believe it will help the strange map identification. If you have a 106 .ols file I would love that.**

** It would also shed some light on the Oil Temperature CAN bus message map I have found; at the moment it's just a few bytes which appear to allow the oil temperature to be transmitted via CAN. I can't find these bytes in any other firmware version.
wreeve

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »

Just out of interest, if you walk into a dealer and buy a DME you get a 0 261 207 106 so I know it runs all the engines! But they cost about £400! More than the car is worth!
ddillenger

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »

Just out of interest, if you walk into a dealer and buy a DME you get a 0 261 207 106 so I know it runs all the engines! But they cost about £400! More than the car is worth!

I don't think it's possible to read the entire flash memory without desoldering the chip. I assume the Bosch number is stored in the part not readable. I'll see if I have 106!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
IamwhoIam

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

Are you 100% sure that the X5 file is original? It contains resized maps, such as kfkhfm or kfpu resized to 2x2 but retaining all the other values the same as the E39 file? Sounds like a bad joke to me. KFMIRL in the X5 file is 13x16 by the way, not 16x16 like the E39.

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
ddillenger

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 04:17:12 PM »

Are you 100% sure that the X5 file is original? It contains resized maps, such as kfkhfm or kfpu resized to 2x2 but retaining all the other values the same as the E39 file? Sounds like a bad joke to me. KFMIRL in the X5 file is 13x16 by the way, not 16x16 like the E39.

Me, or him? I know very little about the OLS. I checked a few maps and they looked reasonable.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: