Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Windows experts needed!  (Read 10866 times)
RBPE

« on: February 23, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »

AAAAARRRRGH!

I have spent three years getting stuff together, from all the info on here to my own work. I translated pretty much everything from German to English and had lots of info on all the submaps of the 7.1/7.1.1/7.5 etc in English.

The only problem is I was getting it all together to put onto a few computers and online so I always have the info and would you believe it - the computer it was all on for transfer decided to give up the ghost and stop working.

It says it can no longer find the operating system (bloody XP for you!) and as such, I can no longer get the computer to work.

Is there any chance I can get this saved data from the code writing pro's out there? Luckily I still have my winOLS and all the files but all the paperwork and translations are lost.

Is there any way I will be able to get it back? I am absolutely gutted with all the effort I put in and yes I know I should have made copies along the way (which for the most part I did), I just put it onto my main comp so I could file it all onto the others when this happened!

Thanks in advance!

Rick
jogtx16v

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »

have you tried to put the harddrive in other computer OS in second drive to try recover data ?

I use this kind of tool to try recover data or to make files transfert from 2.5in-3.5in hdd sata or ide. very usefull to have.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3012908

overspeed

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »

You can try some "easy" ways to try recover:

1- Reinstall XP in same folder
2- Reinstall XP in new folder (As Win2 for example)

If your files weren´t corrupt you´ll be able to boot and save in another computer
RBPE

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 09:58:22 AM »

Will look into that - the comp that packed up is a laptop and all data was going to be transferred to the others which are all PC's - just trying to get my options whilst I try and see what I have managed to save between the 4 computers and 11 int/ext hard-drives I have used over the three years and what data is saved where. Don't think they are directly compatible but then again nothing seems to be - my mates are all IT experts and custom built my comps, all the ones used at work are Dell so nothing seems to fit them without some headache!

We lost something like this a while back at work but a friend was able to spend a couple of days writing code and salvaged about 80% of it - it's just sods law that I put everything into one set of files and this happens!  Cry

All options greatly received and will be looked into.

jimmcgee5

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »

download an image of bartpe and burn it to cd or memory stick and boot from that , used this all the time back in the days  Grin
RBPE

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »

P.S. - No folders show up - it's a black screen that says -

"For Realtek RTL8101E - PCI Express Ethernet adapter v1.03
Media test failure, check cable
Exiting PXE ROM
Operating system not found"

Just does that

Normally just pass to mates but you'r all code warriors so may be able to help  Grin
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:54:47 AM »

ask your friends or make your own bootable flash drive
with ubuntu for example
boot with it and you can find and transfer all your data
adam-

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 12:52:44 PM »

You've got a few options, but it's all easy at this stage (providing the drive still spins up and is readable).

First and foremost, create a bootable Ubuntu disk.  Google Ubuntu, download a copy (around 700mb) and get an image burner capable of burning ISO's.  Nero, etc. 

Slap the disk in, and you'll be able to boot into a standalone version of Linux (you might have to change the BIOS to change the boot order - so that it boots the CD first).

Once you're in Ubuntu, you have to "mount" the drives manually, but they should be on the desktop, just click on it and it should load up. 

Hopefully, you can see all your files.  If Ubuntu can find a driver for your network adapter, you can go online and upload your files.

Or, get an external harddrive and mount that, copy all your data over.

That, or you can get a caddy for the drive, and mount it in another computer.  Being a laptop drive, it's gonna be IDE, or Sata (depending on age).  If it's new, it'll be Sata.  You can connect normal Sata cables to it and boot it on a working system.
userpike

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »

remove the HDD and connect to another computer with a usb adaptor. ($10 kit on ebay) It will act as a removable drive and you can read and write to it all day long. obviously xp won't run but you can get anything you need off it.
ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 01:22:34 PM »

If the drive doesn't power up it could be electronically dead, if this is the case it's time to find another identical drive and start swapping parts!

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
adam-

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »

Or that, worst case..
RBPE

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 03:23:11 PM »

Lot's of good info there guys thanks, will see how it goes!
userpike

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 05:29:23 PM »

If the drive doesn't power up it could be electronically dead, if this is the case it's time to find another identical drive and start swapping parts!

about the only way this can be done is if the PC board on the back of the drive is faulty. if the arm or disc itself has malfunctioned you will need to be a very skilled person to open up the HDD and actually fix it. Mind you they are put together in environments that make a surgeon's O.R. look like a botched case of cleanliness (totally dust free environment) and robotics etc... good luck on that. there are companies that specialize in data recovery but it is very very expensive and not worth it usually. If I had a drive where 100+ bitcoins were stuck in a wallet on the drive I might hire them to recover the wallet file...

IF the HDD wasn't spinning up there would be an error msg stating the HDD can't be read. if XP won't start, most likely a file has been corrupted.
vdubnation
Turboman
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »

send me the drive and i m sure i can recover it
RBPE

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »

Well, thanks for everyone's advice - took it back to the guy I bought it off and all sorted now.

Turns out the drive was fine but there was a problem with the connections - bit of tweaking and working again  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: