Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ecu, immo reset?  (Read 13579 times)
custum

« on: September 24, 2014, 08:05:08 AM »

I've tried differing posts to solve a non starting vehical and my efforts have lead to this try. I need to know 'something' alike to resetting the ecu or rewriting its internal program, it may also apply to the immo(not possible?).
    The reason being to scratch another faultless item of my van off of its immobile list.*
This centers around the vans inability to start FROM a faulty/flattish battery casting a spell on the electrics somehow. Somehow being the point...whatever ticks IN the ecu or immo - this was picked up by vagcom as a intermittent fault com error and needed to remeet/match the two together again. Which to the untrained eye but not my surprise happened, but then it hasn't started from around that time, probably not coincidental, which lead me to fix all distributor components.$$

So you might see this problem or you see a noob. Reset was suggested to be disconnect battery, another to tap + 10 times to activate a reset? Is there a real way to tell the ecu (if there's time the immo as both seem tied in to thinking for the van) to reset? How do I do this please?

Van is: vw 2.0 1997 7da t4 petrol man. 2nd gen immo or ecu? Every thing checked so far is in working order so it may be plain to see.

*A post put it kindly as y2k but really a reboot/read programing problem _ looped!?!

A nice point would be to know how to recognize  broken it may be, or is that a testers job.Huh

HELLO, HELLO IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THEREĀ”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 04:39:46 AM by custum » Logged

VW T4 2.0 7D
cerips

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

What error codes do you get when it won't start?
custum

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »

Nil

The immo needed connecting to the ecu but once done there is no error codes to mention of, the only ones got cleared eg airbag, sensor. Nothing since.

Nada.

Can a faulty ecu (engine management) be this quiet?.

I've checked a lot of items on a list of possibilities and everything checks a green box, other things need a professional. No spark is the latest-after changing hall sensor, rotor, cap_ checked current of coil and ignition switch, cleaned idle regulator, throttle, adjusted throttle switch, recharged batt, fuel pump+filter, thermal sensor tests, vacume tube replacements, vagcom lite registered test............this is ongoing until SOMETHING is wrong.

It only leaves immo and ecu .... How do I check them?

WELL ITS GOT ME BEAT, ALL PARTS LEADING TO IMMO,ECU WILL BE REPLACED UNTIL THEY GET REPLACED. WHY VAGCOM CANT SEE THIS IS dum!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:33:00 AM by custum » Logged

VW T4 2.0 7D
turboat

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »

Got spark/fuel/compression?

Fuel pump powering up? Immo is usually start then die.
custum

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »

All good, emptied tank to check connection with pump.
Anything I've touched so far works.

The system can't get a virus can it?

VW T4 2.0 7D
turboat

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 07:47:51 AM »

I mean when you are trying to start the engine, are the plugs firing and is fuel getting into the cylinders?

No virus
custum

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »

No.

No spark ,no firing.
New hall sender rotor cap, tested/cleaned sparky ,leads ,ignition coil, ignition lock and switch (2nd hand, getting new any day now)...rotor turns, cranks good, recharged battery. No spark though....

No virus is good news, means I can rely on the info inside both units.
The immo wouldn't JUST shut the door and stop the starting of the vehical would it?. It sounds like it won't feed anything when ignition turns to start...

VW T4 2.0 7D
turboat

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 02:53:24 AM »

Standard immo normally lets engine start and then kills it, don't know about immo 1 thou. Do you have an aftermarket alarm immo fitted?
custum

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 04:46:53 AM »

No nothings added to stock system, and further tests this week found elec. IS getting past the ignition transformer (coil), although this significance lost with no knowledge of how to use the multimeter on sophisticated electrics_ but I can learn.
The numbers were like this 15.5 ignition on, 10.0 cranking. As long as there was a current.

1. Immo _ Do you mean a 'last gasp' before never working again. That happened. Happening. I'd just stalled at startup which included a noisey raspy sound of the immo resetting. Stopped starting like it is now, then somehow I got it going again went for a spin and to this day won't start again. At this time I re-met the immo to the ecu like vgs said, but that was kind of clicky anyway.
    Is that KILLING my van?? Angry or its more kind, only allows to start and then splutters to a stop. Similar to a unknown key)

I've read a blog about removing the immo, what is the safe procedure electrically/programmably.

Conclusion, apart from the initial symptoms being the same (flattish battery, rough idle etc, stopped) options left seem to point only at immo,ecu and battery current_by that I mean is voltage changed before starting? The others a involved somehow.

If that sounds plausible.

VW T4 2.0 7D
turboat

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 05:18:49 AM »

Normally if there is an issue with the immo, the van will start and run for a second or two, then die. Defo for immo 2/3, don't know about yours which is probably immo1 (what year is it?)

Have you checked the cambelt/cam timing? I would suspect one of the relays - get the wiring diagram and your multimeter and check you have power on all the pins you should, etc.

If not, send the ecu off to the ecu doctor, get them to check it and remove the immo at the same time. It's rare but not unheard of for these ecu's to fail.

custum

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 06:20:20 AM »

OH thank GOD !!

Because its really dead.

Removing the immo....(means the entire dashboard!!)

It can stay dead.

Bye.

VW T4 2.0 7D
turboat

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 09:23:14 AM »

Immo on t4 is easy to remove, remove the binnacle around the cluster which is like 2 screws. Remove the cluster, which is like another 2 screws, immo box should be on the left...probably another 2 screws. But it's probably not the immo Smiley
custum

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »

Huh Shocked Grin Roll Eyes Cry Huh Shocked Grin Roll Eyes Cry Huh Shocked Grin Cry  BITTER SWEET.

Great news its easy, leaves an option when at the last stop.

Its got me stumped, today I replace the spark plugs and will with each component ,working back through all options until up to speed.

Also noticed ENGINE WARNING LIGHT FLASHING when ignition/cranking. Any ideas where that fault lies?.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 12:53:49 AM by custum » Logged

VW T4 2.0 7D
custum

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »

I need a touch of info about the voltage/amp output readings from the ignition transformer coil. I've read a few post and misplaced a detailed one, about testing the unit :and the readings are different comparitively. It is easy but I'm no wiz with the multimeter. Eg. Output gives 5v and mine has 15.0 I gather volts. Settings on the metre aren't described so I'm also guessing. Then turn engine to get a lower reading, less 5 and nothing looks the same output as others describe or even if its right.

............a day later..............a day later............................................a day later...........................................

Well I pulled the transformer coil and did the usual tests all say working but for the test that has the ignition switched on, nothing working there, SO I got a new one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:29:01 AM by custum » Logged

VW T4 2.0 7D
turboat

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 04:50:08 AM »

You sure its getting power from the fusebox? Relay issues are pretty common on T4s.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: