Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How possible is it to brick the ECU during reading ?  (Read 3401 times)
MetalForLive

« on: September 04, 2017, 11:42:22 PM »

Hello from Germany and sorry for my bad english,

this is my first thread and there is directly my fist n00b question  Grin

So, I got nefmoto Software, i got a compatible cabel, i got the USB drivers, I read the "getting started guide" and the S4 Wiki, in other words, I am ready for reading my ECU software and store it to a file.

But I'm a littlebit afraid of it, because in the n00b FAQ is written the following:

Q: Can I harm my ECU in any way?

A: A: Yes, if you are not careful. On most cars you can read the ECU without any issues, however on some cars reading will cause a fault code to be set which prevents the car from starting - if the car does not run after reading, re-flash the file you just read from the ECU. This is the case for '04-06 Allroads, and can occur on some others. Go to his forum section for useful info http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?board=16.0

I have 2001 S4 6 Speed with motorcode AZB.
I also have no Galetto or MPPS Cable but for the first time, I will only read my Software and play a littlebit around to get some experience (delete VMAX, delete Post O2 Sensores).
Before I try to flash, I think I buy MPPS oder Galetto just in Case...

The Question ist: How possible is it, to brick the ECU during the readingprogress ?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:49:45 PM »

As far as I know there are no APB/AZB S4s that can be bricked by reading.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
MetalForLive

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »

Hi nyet,

thanks for your reply, that sounds good !
Then I will try it on the weekend.
316LV

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

You can use Galleto with your cable. Check the 'Galleto with proper English' thread here. Das posted how to use Mprog to read your cable serial number and write it into the Galleto executable with a hex editor. Works great.

You really should have Galleto on hand in case you brick your ECU. All it takes is writing a bin you forgot to checksum. I know from experience...

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: