Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Immo 3 ECU swap fail - "System Not Ok" - (AUM to AUQ ECU)  (Read 22664 times)
stranger_in_distress

« on: June 03, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »

Hello,

I bought a cheap AUQ(-engine code) ECU from a Skoda Octavia VRS, the ECU is stock acording to the seller. I wanted to try it on my A3 1.8T AUM(-engine code), but of course the new ECU must be paired with the instrument cluster. I managed to retrieve the login codes for both ECUs using Vag-Commander, and followed the steps from the Ross-Tech website for Immo3 ECU-Swapping:
[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11]
For the following procedure, use the PIN of the REPLACEMENT (USED) ECU.

4-digit PIN
        The PIN needs to be entered as 5-digit number in the New Value box. For example, if your PIN is 1234, enter 01234.

[Do it!]

[Adaptation - 10]
Enter 050 in "Channel Number".
[Read]
For the following procedure, use the PIN of the ORIGINAL (OLD) ECU.

4-digit PIN
        The PIN needs to be entered as 5-digit number. For example, if your PIN is 1234, enter 01234.

[Test]

The values may change to "32000", this is normal

[Save]

All steps work fine until the final step, when I hit "Test" button the values change to "32000" but I get the message "SYSTEM" "Not OK", in the two upper message boxes from VCDS, instead of car's VIN and immo-id.

Skoda AUQ ECU part number: 06A 906 032 HN
My car's ECU, AUM, part number:06A 906 032 HJ
From what I read, AUQ(180HP) and AUM(150HP) engines are phisically the same. Soft coding-ul is the same in both ECUs and both ECUs are ME7.5

Am I missing something or the Skoda ECU is not compatible with the Audi Instrument Cluster?
Is there a (easy) way to make the new ECU to work on my car?

Any help greatly apreciated!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:57:51 AM by stranger_in_distress » Logged
TCSTigersClaw

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »

HJ and HN are crossflashable , but not interchangable.
I don`t think any 180 <--> 150 ECU would work.What you are trying to do won`t work ,at least not that I know of .

VAG cars newbie tuner Smiley
f1torrents

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:54:57 AM »

If the ECU is compatible or not im not 100% sure on that.
Someone else can chime in on that.
However if you get the "system not OK" on a ECU that is compatible here is what you do.

Go into the CANBUS gateway.
Go into coding and even if you keep the same coding, you must clear out what is there and re-type it in.
Press do it, done ok
and then perform the adaptation with the ECU.
_nameless

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 05:03:24 AM »

However if you get the "system not OK" on a ECU that is compatible here is what you do.

Go into coding and even if you keep the same coding, you must clear out what is there and re-type it in.
Press do it, done ok

should have left cluster alone and immo off the ecu... this would have left your dash and key  paired with out any issue. then you could have swapped ecus with out any problem at will.
did you backup your eeprom from your cluster before you tried modifying it? If so just write the orig back immo off the ecu and call it a day

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
_nameless

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 05:07:16 AM »

otherwise ask adam hes running hn software on hj

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
stranger_in_distress

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 05:39:01 AM »

should have left cluster alone and immo off the ecu... this would have left your dash and key  paired with out any issue. then you could have swapped ecus with out any problem at will.
did you backup your eeprom from your cluster before you tried modifying it? If so just write the orig back immo off the ecu and call it a day

I did no EEPROMs backups. I just read the login codes for the both ECUs using Vag-Commander then I followed the Ross-Tech steps for ECU swapping. Did VCDS modified the cluster's EEPROM when I followed those steps? I swapped back the original ECU and I had no issue in starting/using the car.

Press do it, done ok

I'm not sure I have time today to try this, but I definitely want to give this a try. In case the ECU-IC pairing is successful and afterwards I want to plug back my original ECU, is it a direct swap or I have to do the adaptation again? If the ECU must be re-adapted afterwards, can this be done any number of times?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:41:20 AM by stranger_in_distress » Logged
stranger_in_distress

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 06:57:04 AM »

I kept reading around this forum(great forum BTW) and got another idea.  Lets say I manage to read the original ECU's 94050 EEPROM and write it on the new ECU, using the argdub's tool...will this bypass the immo? I know I could just disable the immo, but I would prefer to keep it on(not that a 12 years old A3 would be a desirable car for thiefs Grin).

This is not an urgent issue. My original ECU was remapped two months ago to 190HP(tested on dyno), but I have some doubts regarding the quality of the map and wanted to compare it with the "stock" 180HP and afterwards decide which one to keep.
tjwasiak

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »

If I were you I would just clone EEPROM from your ECU into AUQ ECU in the beginning...
f1torrents

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »

At this point everything should be fine.
The cluster will not have changed and Since the ECU is a used one even if it did it would not matter.
But when you get system not ok nothing will have adapted/changed.

Clone the eeprom in the ECU and try that.

Will that ECU work in your car? That is still debatable though.
tjwasiak

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:10:32 AM »

There is one small issue - Audi A3 had special instrument cluster for some 1.8T engines. I can not check it ATM but AFAIR 180HP used different cluster... And this is why you might have had issues with immobiliser adaptation.
f1torrents

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:22 PM »

Clone the ECU or Immo off it and test.
Easy peasy..
stranger_in_distress

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 02:17:19 AM »

Seems easy now to clone the EEPROM or to disable the immo, but 3 days ago I had zero knowledge about this kind of stuff.  Immo ON seems kinda pointless now  Grin
One thing is not exactly clear to me, can I enable bootmode(with ECU case open and grounding "Pin24")  for writing via OBD port with the ECU connected to the car? Or must this be done on a bench?

A bit busy these days, but I will come back with the results when I will have the time to attempt the job.
stranger_in_distress

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 10:56:07 AM »

I managed today to read/write the EEPROM from the AUQ ECU, I plugged it in my car, the immo light goes off , I can crank the engine but is not starting.. When I crank the engine, the ESP light is flashing. I scanned the engine/instrument cluster for errors but no error is found.

So I guess the AUQ ECU is not an easy swap on an AUM engine for the extra 30hp.

Edit: Nevermind what I said. It's working, I didn't found any issue so far.
First try: copied the AUM EEPROM with immo off on AUQ ECU=>not working
Second try: original AUQ EEPROM with immo off=> works perfectly(so far)

I will update if any issue appears.

Thank you to all for the guidance!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:53:39 PM by stranger_in_distress » Logged
tjwasiak

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »

IMHO you just found what I thought - AUM and AUQ ECUs despite both being IMMO3 have different immobilizer routines and that is why in A3 they need different instrument cluster (AUQ and ARY engine codes upto MY2001).
stranger_in_distress

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »

My instrument cluster appears to work correctly with the AUQ ECU. So far I didn't noticed any issues in running the car with the AUQ ECU, but tomorrow I will do some more testing.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: