Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Please help. Just don't know how to start.  (Read 40516 times)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2016, 02:57:44 PM »

In case it wasn't obvious from the git repo I have a bunch of scripts to generate config files.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2016, 02:21:47 PM »

Hi nyet,those scripts sound good.I'd like to know more about them please....
I'm still trawling through the log that I did and already I can see that cylinder 3 appears to be showing a slightly higher level of knock output which is interesting.All in all though I find the logger great.It really is a good tool.
I think that for noob's like me anyway,it's essential to get the logger on board before thinking about tuning anything.It gets me more familiar with all the acronyms.I'm already using it to get the car into a decent running state before thinking about any tuning.It's invaluable.

All the best guy's
O.T. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:31:37 PM by opticaltrigger » Logged

"It is dangerous to be right, in matters where established men are wrong." ....

Voltaire
316LV

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »

^ Yep! Its like Nye always says 'get the hardware working first, then the software'.

Glad you are making progress man! Now you will be doing runs and pouring over logs all the time. I used to do it daily when I first started. A run on the way to work then spend all the time until coffee break analyzing and making changes to my bin. Repeat process on the way home... Rinse and repeat until I got it to where I wanted it. I'm surprised I never got a speeding ticket doing at least two 3rd gear pulls to redline a day for months lol.

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
adam-

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2016, 12:13:11 AM »

I'm surprised I never got a speeding ticket doing at least two 3rd gear pulls to redline a day for months lol.

I was exactly the same.  Daily limiter bashing on the way to and from work.  Then in the evenings I'd go out too when it was dry. 
316LV

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »

I was exactly the same.  Daily limiter bashing on the way to and from work.  Then in the evenings I'd go out too when it was dry. 

Glad to hear you were just as lucky. I don't know how it is in Scotland, but where I was living we had this stupid '40 over' rule... Anything more than 40km over posted and you would get an automatic roadside license suspension and have your vehicle towed and impounded for a week minimum. I was rolling the dice every run basically... Added just a little bit of a thrill to tuning I must say!

Go ahead and give me negative karma... I don't care if you like what I post princess.
adam-

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2016, 11:57:27 PM »

Yeah, it's generally +30mph on top of what whatever the limit is and you loose your license.   Similarly over 100, instant loss.  It's hard to do a third pull (30 to 90) without being caught. 
opticaltrigger

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2016, 04:44:54 PM »

Hi 316LV / adam.
Thanks again for the help and support guy's.
Have been away for a week on a 1000 mile road trip in the car and just got back to the computer today.

Yeh, the 3rd gear pulls are a worry when it comes to speeding tickets but you just have to go with it,and anyway when I mash the throttle there's to much else going on to worry about it.
The logs really are just great to go through.I did see that VisualME7 has a play back facility but I cant make it work.What am I missing guy's?
I didn't do any logs on the road trip but I did notice a fault code that keeps coming up now and then which is P0170. I looked it up and it comes out as "Fuel Trim bank 1".Have any of you guy's any ideas on what might cause this.?

All the best
O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2016, 04:56:46 PM »

I looked it up and it comes out as "Fuel Trim bank 1".Have any of you guy's any ideas on what might cause this.?

It means your fuel trim is way out of whack? Have you bothered to monitor LTFT and STFTs yet?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
adam-

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »

Fueling first before anything.  Sounds like you missed that memo.
opticaltrigger

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2016, 02:44:09 PM »

Hi Nyet / adam,
I couldn't tell you if I've bothered or not because I don't know what you mean by LTFT or STFT's. What do those acronyms mean?

And I don't believe that I missed the fueling first memo either (Quite the opposite.I agree with you) because I haven't changed anything.It's a stock ECU in a stock car that went on a road trip.

So..... Does anyone have any thoughts on what might cause that code to throw up on a stock untouched setup.It wasn't there before the road trip and now it is.
Are there any usual culprits that would or could cause this?

O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »

this is really basic stuff, not even tuning related... which is why it is frustrating :/

intake leak (vac) if lean, boost leak if rich, bad maf, bad o2 etc.

ECUx Plot

316LV

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »

LTFT = Long term fuel trims
STFT = Short term fuel trims

Do a search on the above and read up. Basically these will tell you how close / far off your fueling is.

Nyet is right, a number of things mechanically can cause your issue. I've personally had that code due to a bad MAF and also for leaks. Do a pressure test and make sure you have no leaks/bad check valves first, then start looking at your MAF readings if that checks out...

opticaltrigger

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2016, 12:22:28 PM »

Hi again all,
I did have a bad MAF and I'm fairly certain that I have a boost leak somewhere which is going to be the next investigation.

Anyway after reading the wiki on fueling it stipulates what's copied below.

" For stage 1-2+, adjusting fueling isn't technically necessary; however, a bit of extra fuel via KFLBTS isn't such a bad idea if you are running pump gas and a bunch of extra boost. "

Can anyone lend some advise on this?
When I look up KFLBTS in TunerPro it says "Desired AFR For Component Protection"
I want to understand how the ECU works a little better before I change anything.

My question is.....If adjusting fueling isn't technically necessary but a little via KFLBTS is the done thing.And KFLBTS is for component protection purposes.
Then what triggers the ECU to use the KFLBTS map?...
Could it be when the MAP sensor sees that you have increased boost?....I don't know.
Also this approach seems to be a little different at first sight to the approach taken in the stage 1 community tune which seems to spend quite some effort focused on LAMFA adjustments.

As I said just looking for a little guidance and advise here so that I don't go down the wrong road.
Any advise on this would be great.

All the very best guy's
O.T.

Voltaire
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2016, 01:15:27 PM »

Then what triggers the ECU to use the KFLBTS map?..

Covered in the wiki. Read it again. I spent literally YEARS writing it so I don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over Tongue

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning#LAMBTS

ECUx Plot

opticaltrigger

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2016, 01:22:08 PM »

Ok

Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: