Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Big Turbo 1.8T help  (Read 41854 times)
Jonamond

« on: November 11, 2015, 10:39:23 PM »

So far have spent the last 3 weeks trying to figure out as much as I can on my own. There's a few things I'm having trouble with but first a little background info...

2004 B6 A4 - got it cheap, high km, used engine, "Budget build"
eBay 50 trim,
630cc deka's,
currently using a MBC (might use the n75 one day, maybe)

1. I have it set to 18 psi and want to go to 22 psi but if I go any higher than 18-19, its goes into soft limp and throws p0234. I tried zeroing out KFDLULS which I don't think is defined correctly, it just runs terrible after.

2. Antilag seems to work fine when around 85% throttle, if I hold it at 100% it just sounds like a soft limiter, no boost and lots of raw fuel smell.

3. Ive modified NMAXDVG/ NMAXGA/ NMAXDV/ NMAX/ NMAXNL to raise the rev limit but its not working.

I've attached my current file if anyone wants to take a peek and help me out here, Thank You
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:50:02 AM by Jonamond » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 12:17:01 AM »

currently using a MBC

Don't bother doing anything until you ditch that POS.

NMAXDVG/ NMAXGA/ NMAXDV/ NMAX/ NMAXNL to raise the rev limit but its not working.

Why would raising the rev limit fix a negative boost deviation problem?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
SB_GLI

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »

while I agree with this advice almost all the time, using a MBC on a big turbo is less of a concern.  Yes, it's still a hack, but IMO it's okay to do while learning how to tune the PID for BT.  Ideal situation is that the N75 is used, but pros have been tuning big turbos strictly with MBCs for years.  I am not saying that because the "pros" do it, it's right.  It might just be a little easier for a tuning nooby to wrap their heads around all the other stuff first, and then go back to tuning boost.
SB_GLI

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »

BTW, OP.  Logs.  Help us help you.  Get Logs.
Jonamond

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 07:49:02 AM »

Why would raising the rev limit fix a negative boost deviation problem?

I know it's a pos but it's very hard for me right now to get adaquite time to setup and use the n75 properly when the mbc is doing a fine job with my driving habits.

Also I apologize, I should have been more clear with my question as the three are seperate, editing origanal post

I will get some logs for you guys as soon as I can!
vwaudiguy

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »

I'll take a look at what maps you need to modify to get rid of the code/limp in a little bit when I get home. Also, wanted to add, that much psi might be too much for your setup. I found with an AWP 1.8T and a 3071, right at about 20 psi I would hit a point where the lack of timing negated the extra boost, so there was no point (pump gas). Also, I assume this has a return-style fuel system because of the BT? I'm sure there are other issues, but just wanted to throw that out there, that shooting for "more psi" isn't always a benefit. Depends a lot on a million factors.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 09:38:35 AM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Jonamond

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »

I'll take a look at what maps you need to modify to get rid of the code/limp in a little bit when I get home. Also, wanted to add, that much psi might be too much for your setup. I found with an AWP 1.8T and a 3071, right at about 20 psi I would hit a point where the lack of timing negated the extra boost, so there was no point (pump gas). Also, I assume this has a return-style fuel system because of the BT? I'm sure there are other issues, but just wanted to throw that out there, that shooting for "more psi" isn't always a benefit. Depends a lot on a million factors.

Ya, my origanal plan was to keep the boost around 18psi thinking that 3-4 psi wasn't going to be a big enough difference to justify putting that much more strain on it, but I tried it anyways and was very pleased with the power at 22 before limp kicked In. I didn't get a long enough run to fully justify keeping it there but if there isn't a noticeable difference from 20vs22, I'll just keep it at 20.

The car currently has the factory "Returnless" system

Thanks in advance
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 12:53:07 PM »

I know it's a pos but it's very hard for me right now to get adaquite time to setup and use the n75 properly when the mbc is doing a fine job with my driving habits.

No, it isn't doing a fine job because you are seeing negative deviation limp. The root cause cannot be solved by dorking with rpm limits.

Stop tuning until you get a proper log.

Then you'll see why you are getting negative deviation - which has everything to do with your MBC.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 12:53:49 PM »

while I agree with this advice almost all the time, using a MBC on a big turbo is less of a concern.  Yes, it's still a hack, but IMO it's okay to do while learning how to tune the PID for BT.  Ideal situation is that the N75 is used, but pros have been tuning big turbos strictly with MBCs for years.  I am not saying that because the "pros" do it, it's right.  It might just be a little easier for a tuning nooby to wrap their heads around all the other stuff first, and then go back to tuning boost.

Except that he's throwing a negative deviation code AND not learning anything about PIDs.

ECUx Plot

Jonamond

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 02:35:30 PM »

I understand why I'm getting a neg. deviation code. I'm sure I can get my PID's in order on my own, there are a few threads explaining how already. If you want to spend some time and help me out to speed the process up, that would be very nice, would certainly make my wife a little bit happier that I'm not "on the laptop all the time!!!!". That's why I wanted a patch so I can have a little fun until things cool down a bit....

I suppose it will also help others in the process to do it proper, Ill get some logs posted tonight.

ddillenger

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »

Post your file, I will look at it, fix whatever is needed, and explain why.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
Jonamond

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »

Something went wrong with my logs, ill have to try again in the morning, sorry.

Post your file, I will look at it, fix whatever is needed, and explain why.

My file is attached in the first post, thanks.
SB_GLI

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2015, 08:05:58 PM »

Fix KFLDBHN and tune LDRXNZK appropriately.
Jonamond

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »

Fix KFLDBHN and tune LDRXNZK appropriately.

Got LDRXNZK adjusted roughly 15% lower than LDRXN in the spool zone, will this work?

Shall I max out KFLBHBN for now while tuning boost, and then set it after?
Jonamond

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 12:12:09 PM »

Here are some logs...

I think I'm requesting enrichment too soon, I'll have to change that. This is also on 91 Oct fuel because I wasn't close to a 94 Oct station when I gassed up. Hopefully 94 will take care of the timing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: