Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Modifying my GIAC K04 Tune - ME7.5 - 06A906032PL  (Read 8704 times)
kenmac

« on: July 07, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »

I am pretty new to ECU tinkering and I am soaking up knowledge like a sponge.  This forum is a gold mine!  Anyhow I am looking to make some modifications to my GIAC K04 flashed ECU.  Namely, I am deleting SAI/N249/EVAP/PCV, and looking to delete the readiness checks from my tune.  I've found some good information on this topic already.  After I produce a flash (.bin) using WinOLS, ME7Check.exe tells me there are 2 checksum errors.  WinOLS seemed to have no problem producing the .bin file and I was even prompted to update the checksums, which I allowed.  Should I be worried about this?  Should I not flash it back to the ECU?

Here's what I've done so far:
- Used NefMoto ME7 ECU Flasher 1.8 to read my GIAC tune via ODBII.
- Located the stock ECU file for my car VW 20th anniv. GTI (06A906032PL)
- Started a new project in WinOLS using the stock file.
- Imported the GIAC file into WinOLS. (Recommended procedure to use checksums on a modded file)
- I made the edits at the proper offsets for SAI/EVAP deletes.
- Saved the project and exported the new .bin
- Ran ME7Check.exe on the new bin, and it revealed 2 checksum errors.  However, when I look a the file in a Hex editor, it's clear that the checksums were updated.

I'm wondering if ME7Check.exe is wrong here.  (I should point out even the unmodified GIAC flash from my ECU already had 1 Checksum error.) Or perhaps GIAC based their flash on a different ECU which happens to work on mine?  WinOLS is using the OLS262 checksum package.  When comparing the GIAC file to the stock file, they share a lot of the same data in the same place. Any thoughts?
phila_dot

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »

GIAC likes to relocate the relevant maps they tune. If you compare the typical maps that would be tuned against a stock file they will most likely show no changes. This may be throwing off the ME7Check.

Do you have a spare ECU, and boot mode flashing capability? Just in case.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:20:13 PM by phila_dot » Logged
kenmac

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »

Hmm.  Good to know.  I do find it interesting that I started out with 1 checksum error with the original GIAC file and after making changes, ended up with 2 checksum errors according to ME7Check.exe.

If WinOLS says the file is good, then is it safe to assume I could flash it back to the ECU?  Afterall I only zeroed out a couple offsets.  I can zero out the same offsets on the stock ECU file and there no checksum errors according the ME7Check.exe
phila_dot

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:32:25 PM »

Sounds like you will be okay, but I wouldn't do it without a way to recover. Can you get by if your car is down?

I would get a stock ECU and flash the file to it. No big deal if something goes wrong.
kenmac

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:35:30 PM »

Yeah, gotta find a way to get my hands on a spare ECU.  Smiley  I wonder how important it is to get the same ECU.  ie. 06A906032PL vs. 06A906032NK

Galetto should be coming in the mail to do any boot mode stuff if necessary.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:37:14 PM by kenmac » Logged
setzi62

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:22 AM »

I think it was seen already in the past, that GIAC did not update the overall checksum
and its complement,  both are located at the end of the flash (two 32bit numbers,
the second being the complement of the first one).

I am not really sure if the ecu will check this checksum during normal operation,
so it could be your image runs fine despite the fact of having an incorrect overall checksum.
You could have a look at your images and check if the mentioned checksum changed or not
and if the complement matches.
Giannis

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:31:46 AM »

Tony's flashing software can recover an 1.8T ECU witch is locked due to bad checksum i can confirm that. So you can give a try to your file. And if it fails return to your previous file and try again. Also i think that winols needs to start a new project with an original file. So try to find an original to start with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: