Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Softcoding eeprom location  (Read 17972 times)
ddillenger

« on: March 13, 2013, 07:51:46 PM »

This may be old news, but I figured I'd post it for anyone that didn't know about it.

Softcoding is stored in the eeprom. Follows the same format as the login (skc) code. Take the locations at 7a and 7b (mirrored below, 8a and 8b), byteswap them, and convert to decimal. Example:

D319=19D3
Converted to decimal=6611 (m-box softcoding)

What thread is complete without pictures!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:04:40 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
vblond

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »

Hi everybody ,

Just one question ,
Is this location for any cluster in particular??, since this is not working for a rb4 cluster (audi a4 B6/B7).

Can give me anybody the location of the soft coding in a rb4 cluster??, and to be more precise, where can I find the byte that defines the speed, because I have it in Miles per hour and I would like to have it in km per hour.

Thanks a lot!
tjwasiak

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 11:17:38 AM »

This is ECU EEPROM dump, not instrument cluster!
vblond

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »

Ok, understood!
Thanks a lot
vblond

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »

Anybody please?

I don`t really feel very comfortable driving my car every day here, in Madrid, without knowing the speed. Help please!, I really need it! Huh

Thank you very much in advance Wink
turboat

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »

VCDS documentation might explain that, or just use VCDS to change miles into kph.
vblond

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 03:37:11 AM »

Thank you very much for your answer!, but how can I do it?
In soft coding??, last digit?(pulse k number), in case it's like
This, what is this value?

Thanks again, I appreciate it very much!
tjwasiak

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:43:43 AM »

Are you running cluster which should have bezels scaled in miles with bezels scaled in kilometers or what is your problem?

If you are trying to fully convert cluster mph<->kmh you have to flash it with proper dump. At least for those older clusters:
 - XXX 9XX 8XX is scaled in kilometers
 - XXX 9XX 9XX is scaled in miles
After replacing bezels and flashing proper software your cluster is fully converted!
vblond

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »

Thanks for your answer,
I got an American color cluster from ebay and I already changed bezels (kph), flashed the dump and everything works fine (the rev clock too, since I changed the byte in the dump from petrol to diesel, byte 0x330), but the speed is still in mph. I am trying to find the bytes responsible for that in the dump (I mean location in dump), so that´s why I am asking if somebody knows it in order to change it in the dump manually and get kph. My cluster P/N is 8H0920930D (American one scaled in miles)

Thank you very much
 Wink
ddillenger

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »

Softcode it for the euro market and it should change.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
vblond

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:38:15 AM »

Softcode it for the euro market and it should change.

Thank you very much for your quick answer!
That´s what I was trying to know, if I could do it by using VCDS (17 coding-> function 07). I did it for the odometer and DIS and worked ok (I changed it from” 2”-US to” 1”- rest of the world). Now I am going to change last digit of softcode (I think should be “4”, right now there is a “0”) to see if it is changing to kph.  Is this what you were trying to tell me??. Is this digit what I have to change??
Thanks a lot again, appreciate it!
vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 03:09:07 PM »

Question. What prevents this change from happening via VCDS? I've never been able to code a North American car with Euro coding. Can I assume if I mod the e2p the change will then stick? Also do these addresses apply to the mk4 platform as well?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
tjwasiak

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »

I would assume that different parts/programming will prevent recoding from N. American to European market.
vblond

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 09:00:01 AM »

I do believe you can code the odometer and  trip computer to show km and liters/100 km (I did it in a North American cluster). After trying to change from mph to kph by using VCDS, I can conclude that it is not possible, and the only way to do it is by changing a byte (or word) in the dump.
Anybody knows which could be the location of the byte/word in a rb4 instrument cluster dump (Audi a4 b6 2003)??

Thanks!!
 Wink
vblond

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »

Please, I need some help!,
I could not find speed location yet!,
Any idea??,
Thanks a lot!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: