Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ostrich 2.0 is ME7 compatible? any memory edit tool?  (Read 15709 times)
edduu

« on: November 01, 2013, 07:23:46 AM »

i've researched a bit about motronic debugging, something for make life easier debugging the assembly code and make things easier than just IDA Pro without breakpoints and all functionallity that they comes on windows.

i've been reversing during 5 years on windows apps, but on windows is too easy to do things since we can do breakpoints, browse memory and that stuff.

for what i see, Ostrich 2.0 emulates a bin into a own memory
TunerPro RT connects to that external memory, and all the memory address loaded in the list as maps, the ostrich looks who read those address and show it real time, the same as Ollydbg function called "find who memory access on this address"

i'm not thinking on breakpointing an offset, just wanted to do some memory search for look some offsets.

with that we could do live modifications on the injected code, for test if it works or not without having to read-write process that takes time.

if people were able to do map switching through the cruise control. with memory search we could find the turn signal lights for do some shift lights at 6000 rpm code injection, find the immobilizer code and add a code cave for compare it if its for the specified car let the ecu run or not. and a tons of things.

if its compatible with ME9 we could be able to do launch control to Golf 2.0 T maybe, i dont know what processor they use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaiCZKp0w6Y

thats a video of a s6 2.2t, i didn't searched if its using me7 but i read somewhere that ostrich is compatible with the processor that me7 uses.

just someone with knowledges and time for build an app in .net or c++ could make a memory editor / browser and searcher, like cheat engine.

happy reverse engineering  Cheesy
daniel2345

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »

ME7 always uses 16Bit Flash. Ostrich is an 8 Bit Emu, will not work.

ME9 uses 16 Bit Memory also, and in addition very fast one, Ostrich would be too slow.

Ols300 is an 16 Bit Emu with propper memory tracing, but with software and hardware you have to spend around 10.000€ i guess...
edduu

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:41:51 AM »

thats right, its 8 bits emu the ostrich, i didnt find out in the wiki of nefmoto yet where says the eeprom specs of me 7.5

the same moates websites offer something called roadrunner, that works with tunerpro RT running the app emutility.

in roadrunner specs says: (http://support.moates.net/roadrunner/)

"Other Applications / Technical Specifications

The RoadRunner has been used successfully as a general purpose 16 bit data bus emulator for applications other than GM LS1.  (Bosch Motronic ME7.1 and Nissan 16 bit are the first two that come to mind.)  "

Me7.1, i think its around the same for ME 7.5  Grin

here sells the DIY gut kit http://www.moates.net/roadrunnerdiy-guts-kit-p-118.html

this + TunerPro RT license is around 500 usd, compared to 2300 € that its ols300 looks fine for me, sadly looks too complicated to install, someone did it already?

this could be interesting for do live code injections, debuging the injected code fastly and such. awesome.

Roman

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:45:25 PM »

WWW.EVC.de

Ols 300 - 2800 Euro

WinOLS Software Lizenz 1900 Euro
inkl. 20 Checksumm Points

Wink
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:18:39 PM »

WWW.EVC.de

They have made it clear they don't want my business. No clue why they won't see me a product I am willing to pay for.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
k0mpresd

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 01:40:20 AM »

They have made it clear they don't want my business. No clue why they won't see me a product I am willing to pay for.

theyre a bit touchy. you have to say just the right thing in the right order for them to deal with you.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 01:42:12 AM »

I'm not in the habit of playing games with people to convince them to take my money. I'm not about to start.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
B234R

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:30:58 AM »

There is nothing touchy or weird dealing with EVC as long as you run a company or have a business license.

They only sell to companies. As they clearly state on their website.
They don't sell to individuals who are hobbyists.

It is their right to define their terms of business and their business strategy.
k0mpresd

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »

There is nothing touchy or weird dealing with EVC as long as you run a company or have a business license.

They only sell to companies. As they clearly state on their website.
They don't sell to individuals who are hobbyists.

It is their right to define their terms of business and their business strategy.

my point was, if you dont supply the right answer the first time then they dont deal with you.  Smiley
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 02:35:57 PM »

Yep. They have a right to be incorrigible retards. And I have a right to make fun of them for it.

ECUx Plot

littco

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »

Roadrunner, tunerprort the nefmoto version and endian swap board.. Gives live emulation .. I use it all the time
JPower

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »

And I was always told that there is no alternative for more than 8 bit memory concerning live emulation? That would be great, if live emulation would be available!

I am not pretty sure, if I understood the describtion of the "roadrunner":

Instead the flash chip the header needs to be soldered? It is more or less like soldering a socket in an old ECU type with eeproms? Then there is an "other device" which will be connected to the previosly soldered header and linked with an USB cable. But to which device, directly to the notebook? Which softwer is needed to read the emulation?

@ Littco:

Due to my understanding Roadrunner is the emulator and Tunerpro used as software to viasualize emulation via the right xdf file. But what do you mean with nefmoto version? And what is an endian swap board?

Would be great, if someone have detailed information about live emulation for 16 bit memorys.

Thanks!
littco

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »

And I was always told that there is no alternative for more than 8 bit memory concerning live emulation? That would be great, if live emulation would be available!

I am not pretty sure, if I understood the describtion of the "roadrunner":

Instead the flash chip the header needs to be soldered? It is more or less like soldering a socket in an old ECU type with eeproms? Then there is an "other device" which will be connected to the previosly soldered header and linked with an USB cable. But to which device, directly to the notebook? Which softwer is needed to read the emulation?

@ Littco:

Due to my understanding Roadrunner is the emulator and Tunerpro used as software to viasualize emulation via the right xdf file. But what do you mean with nefmoto version? And what is an endian swap board?

Would be great, if someone have detailed information about live emulation for 16 bit memorys.

Thanks!

Luckily you where told wrong! I worked with mark mansur to enable 16bit emulation on tuner pro rt..

Roadrunner is a f400/800 emulator.. You remove the original chip, solder on a header and then the roadrunner emulator attaches to the header.. This then connects to the laptop running tunerpro via USB.

The original RR is an endian swap emulator, and so either the flash has to endurance swap written to the emulator, but then causes issues with road runner, or you use an endurance swap board , which I helped Moates develop which locates between the header and emulator which does the swap for you..

Read here as it's relevant

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=3149.0title=

JPower

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

Thanks Littco for the information. Will read through the info.

Is the Ostrich 2.0 smaller and therefore better for integration within the ECU?

Does the Roadrunner support every ECU type based on 16t bit?
prj

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »

Someone found my old channel, cool...

Keep in mind, Ostrich or Roadrunner will not allow you to do what you see in that video.
I actually created some custom code which reads a point in memory + offset from RAM (in case of RPM) to show RPM real time on a map.

There is no "breakpoints" or "what accesses what" this is not a debugger, this is just an emulator.
Ostrich can not be used with ME7, it is a 8 bit emu, you would need two of them and some REALLY creating wiring to make it work. Easier to just buy RoadRunner.
Actually the easiest is buy OLS300, but considering OLS300 is basically obsolete by now (most new cars you can emulate by moving some maps to RAM and using WriteMemoryByAddress) then I don't see the point of dropping a load of cash on it.
6-7 years ago it was a great idea, nowadays not so much, but it is still nice to have.

What the RoadRunner will allow you to do is to modify maps while the engine is running.
Same for the OLS300 - in this way they do not differ much.
However, ME7 has live checksums, which sould be turned off, as well as the FLASH system won't be started with incorrect checksum (CW_NOCHKRESET, which is disabled by default). And if you don't want to risk the ECU rebooting while you change things or storing "the code of death" in EEPROM it is better to disable all this functionality.
This applies to both OLS300 and RoadRunner.

That said, for a Stage 1 tune, it will take you longer to install the emulator in the ECU than it will take you to flash, so it's pointless. It is only useful for advanced tuning where you actually need to visit the dyno or spend time dialing in custom components.
If you need to flash the ECU less than 10 times do not bother installing an emulator. I can't think of any Stage 1 where this would be the case if you even remotely know what you are doing.

If you want to know how the ECU works and what it accesses, an emulator will not help you much, the best idea is to read the FR and use IDA Pro to track the code. A LOT faster than trying to find random maps and trying to trace and screw with them. These days ME7 is basically open source.
I have never used the RoadRunner to trace, and I gave up on tracing with the Ostrich as well as soon as I wrote proper datalogging for the 2.2T ECU - no point to trace when you can setup AXDX in TunerPro on every axis, which works a LOT better.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 04:41:19 PM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: