Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Encrypted file  (Read 643 times)
Lkz666

« on: January 13, 2024, 09:17:51 PM »

Noob question here. I am doing a wideband O2 sensor conversion on my Audi TT so I bought a wideband ECU on Ebay (8N0906018CJ).
I bought MPPS v18 to read out the file in the ECU and email it to my tuner.  During the file read, MPPS gave me a message  "NoRead file, Encrypted". I didn't know what that meant but emailed the file to my tuner and he said "this file is encrypted, we can't use it".
Why would the flash file be encrypted? Who would do that and how can the car work if the flash file is encrypted??
_nameless

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2024, 10:39:19 PM »

The file you read out is encrypted because mpps sees a no read tag in the tune so saves it in a encrypted format. Tell your tuner to start with a stock file, they should have done that anyway instead of having you waste time having to ask the internet.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
stuydub

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 10:59:33 PM »

Noob question here. Who would do that and how can the car work if the flash file is encrypted??

The file can be unencrypted pretty easy...
Lkz666

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2024, 12:04:19 AM »

The file you read out is encrypted because mpps sees a no read tag in the tune so saves it in a encrypted format. Tell your tuner to start with a stock file, they should have done that anyway instead of having you waste time having to ask the internet.

Tuner did give me a new base file to work with, I didn't need to tell him anything he seems to know what he's doing.  That's not the point, I was asking about why would there be an encrypted file in my ECU that I bought on Ebay.  I'm trying to learn, that's why i posted in the "Noob Questions" area.
stuydub

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 12:09:18 AM »

Its encrypted so no one can see the edits made and to stop the file getting used over and over again but as i said the encryption can be removed very easily
stuydub

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 12:13:47 AM »

I didn't need to tell him anything he seems to know what he's doing. 

Does not seem that way if they cant get past the encryption
_nameless

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 01:04:28 AM »

The file can be unencrypted pretty easy...
That's not the point. The last time I unencrypted a file for someone on this forum, they acted like they are a single person and it was personally for their car. Sent me a pm and asked if I could patch their file with 2 step and over night. Hot boi tuning was born. Their whole collection of files are stolen files they resell.... It's not worth doing for anyone if they can not figure it out for themself regardless of how easy it is. VW Wrencher is the same way, peddling shit files.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 01:10:17 AM by _nameless » Logged

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
Lkz666

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 07:15:25 PM »

One last noob question... so if I buy an ECU on Ebay (for my wideband conversion), and it turns out to have an encrypted file i.e. some other tuner has previously flashed the ECU with some unknown tune, should my tuner unencrypt that file and use as a base file for my car or should he start fresh and send me a new file to start logging on?
_nameless

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 11:38:21 PM »

One last noob question... so if I buy an ECU on Ebay (for my wideband conversion), and it turns out to have an encrypted file i.e. some other tuner has previously flashed the ECU with some unknown tune, should my tuner unencrypt that file and use as a base file for my car or should he start fresh and send me a new file to start logging on?
Always stock. Zero point using someone else's tune for a starting point. Specially if you are paying a "tooner" to calibrate your car.

adam-

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 11:02:36 AM »

As above, you have no idea what's been done to it, and by the time you do you've wasted so much time you'd be better off starting fresh.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: