Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two questions. Why does my MAF value fluctuate. And why does torque dip?  (Read 922 times)
dikidera

On my 2.4i naturally aspirated 5 cylinder, as engine RPM rises I see my raw MAF readings fluctuate rather than being constant. To the right of the log we have a more smoothed out value based on the MAP&MAF sensor(I call it MAPMAF) corrections/compensations but even it dips.
I would've expected a more linear rise of airflow with RPM. Is this normal behavior usually? I notice that when these dips occur there are slight variations of throttle angle but only by 1% or ignition retard(knock?).

My second question is related to engine torque curves as released from manufacturer.

Specifically why is there a dip between 2000 and 3000RPM of the engine? It is definitely noticeable IRL while driving, the power comes on the closer to 3000 I am. I read something about the intake and resonances being responsible(in general not for this particular engine specifically) but I really wonder about that. What i've noticed on these engines is maximum advance of the camshaft via VVT during the 2000-3000 RPM period.
In any case this "dead zone" is really noticeable and most of the time accelerating from 2000rpm where the car usually is is dog slow, after 3000rpm it feels a bit more sportier. I wonder if it's possible to improve this range there via VVT map change or intake modification or is this torque dip unavoidable.

Additionally while there is a dip/flat spot between 2000 and 3000, in actuality the curve is still very dippy overall between 2000 and 4000.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 01:04:56 AM by dikidera » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: