Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Basic ME7 Tuning How To  (Read 157356 times)
masterj

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »

There isn't any reason the wiki couldn't be used for this...

Entirely correct, except the wiki isn't a collaboration everyone can't work on it.

There isn't any reason A wiki couldn't be used for this..

Can anyone edit wiki?

TTQS
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »

I should probably clarify my position on wikis... I'm not anti wikis so long as all the potential users and collaborators are agreed on what should be in it and the mission statement is clear.

While nyet conceived the S4 wiki from the start as a body of knowledge that others could add to, change and correct, I didn't write my guide as a "how to" as such and I didn't conceive it as a document that other tuners could hack about and contribute to.

I have a track record of producing technical documents which are (intended to be) factually correct, 'absolute' and are peer-reviewed to verify the facts, reduce or ideally eliminate errors so I just stuck with a format that I was comfortable with, but for sure, it didn't really address the spirit and intent of the original post of a genuine 'how to'.

Therefore, there is still 'a gap in the market' whereby Nefmoto users would identify specific goals of interest tuners of VAG Motronic ME7.x ECUs and then write up the salient points (or, better still) produce flow diagrams with annotations to summarise such.

I'll happily contribute to such a thing if I can, just as I have felt able to do with the FR translations. I would just like to see some agreement and identification of specific matters up front then people getting on and producing quality outputs. There's too much tat, rumour and sigh out there on the internet at large but I do like to think that Nefmoto has risen above all that.

... there's a good illustration of how to say nothing much in many words! Wink

TTQS
masterj

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »

I should probably clarify my position on wikis... I'm not anti wikis so long as all the potential users and collaborators are agreed on what should be in it and the mission statement is clear.

While nyet conceived the S4 wiki from the start as a body of knowledge that others could add to, change and correct, I didn't write my guide as a "how to" as such and I didn't conceive it as a document that other tuners could hack about and contribute to.

I have a track record of producing technical documents which are (intended to be) factually correct, 'absolute' and are peer-reviewed to verify the facts, reduce or ideally eliminate errors so I just stuck with a format that I was comfortable with, but for sure, it didn't really address the spirit and intent of the original post of a genuine 'how to'.

Therefore, there is still 'a gap in the market' whereby Nefmoto users would identify specific goals of interest tuners of VAG Motronic ME7.x ECUs and then write up the salient points (or, better still) produce flow diagrams with annotations to summarise such.

I'll happily contribute to such a thing if I can, just as I have felt able to do with the FR translations. I would just like to see some agreement and identification of specific matters up front then people getting on and producing quality outputs. There's too much tat, rumour and sigh out there on the internet at large but I do like to think that Nefmoto has risen above all that.

... there's a good illustration of how to say nothing much in many words! Wink

TTQS

Agreed. And if we will use wiki then please make it so that everyone registered could edit it and add useful information. You know wikipedia? It's that big because EVERYONE contributes ant not only selected people Wink Just a suggestion

carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »

Agreed. And if we will use wiki then please make it so that everyone registered could edit it and add useful information. You know wikipedia? It's that big because EVERYONE contributes ant not only selected people Wink Just a suggestion

Anyone *can* edit the wiki. Just re-register. Or have I missed the point?
marcello7x

« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2011, 10:55:28 AM »

Great read. I read a DIY long ago at another forum for the m7.5 but can no longer find it. I always come back to wanting to selftune my awp 1.8t but since last winter when i was searching for data and all i could find was the s4 wiki, this forum takes leaps ahead of what I could learn before. Although I don't know much now I hope I can lean and help at somepoint.
lulu2003

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2012, 10:22:18 AM »

from Doug's pdf:

peak flame speed occurs around lambda = 0.9 and at this point, less overall ignition advance is required to achieve peak cylinder pressure. Adding more fuel or more air will slow down combustion.

question:

at a given lambda, does flame speed change if I change the charge (boost)?

simple question, but I think the answer is not.
B234R

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »

Of course it does, flame speed is dependant on charge density (boost)...
lulu2003

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2012, 05:36:50 PM »

any physical evidence?
TTQS
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2012, 06:08:57 AM »

Of course it does, flame speed is dependant on charge density (boost)...

I just did a quick web search for factors affecting flame propagation rate in internal combustion engines (a commonly covered topic) and Google Books threw up "Internal Combustion Engines" by V. Ganesan. I paraphrase the section on this:

For efficient combustion, the rate of propagation of the flame front is critical. The two important factors which determine the rate of movement are the chemical reaction rate and the transposition rate (i.e. the physical movement of the mixture).

Several factors affect flame speed. Turbulence (increases the reaction probability by better mixing of burned and unburned mixture). Excessive tubulence may extinguish the flame and AFR (large influence) seem to be the most significant.

As for temperature and pressure: flame speed increases with an increase in intake temperature and pressure. Molecules are closer together at higher charge density and moving about more at higher temperature which will both increase the chemical reaction rate. IMO, this should far outweigh any reduction in transposition rate due to the denser, heavier charge.

TTQS
B234R

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2012, 07:26:47 AM »

Thanks, that sums it up.

But looking at any SI engine's ECU structure should have given it away.
Axes on the main ignition maps (not talking about correction maps) are always RPM and some representation of load. (throttle angle, MAP, direct airmass, abstract load, whatever...)
You can always somehow relate these measurements back to charge/cyl. filling.
Why would such systems use load as a main lookup factor when it wouldn't affect flame speed? :-)
RRRS

« Reply #85 on: March 31, 2012, 12:09:37 PM »

@TTQS
All TTs have wideband HEGO sensors, I understand.
Sorry, but that isn´t correct. The european APX Engine (225PS - predecessor of the BAM engine) is non wideband. It has only one narrowband hego pre cat. ECU Number is 8N0906018AE or 8L0906018M.

A big "Thank you" for developing the "Understanding ECU Remapping".pdf -> This will be the literature for tonight and i can´t wait to read it  :-)
I still wonder why i did not found this thread earlier? That was right the stuff i was looking for all the time. I´m more into (engine) hardware than in software stuff but still very interested in learning the Me7.5
Without a good software the best hardware is a waste of money ;-)
TTQS
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »

@TTQSSorry, but that isn´t correct. The european APX Engine (225PS - predecessor of the BAM engine) is non wideband. It has only one narrowband hego pre cat. ECU Number is 8N0906018AE or 8L0906018M.

A big "Thank you" for developing the "Understanding ECU Remapping".pdf -> This will be the literature for tonight and i can´t wait to read it  :-)
I still wonder why i did not found this thread earlier? That was right the stuff i was looking for all the time. I´m more into (engine) hardware than in software stuff but still very interested in learning the Me7.5
Without a good software the best hardware is a waste of money ;-)

O.k., no problem. Good spot for pointing out the correction and thanks for the appreciation. You obviously know your TT specs. I hope you don't fall into the trap that I've seen other Mk1 TT enthusiasts succumb to which is to just bolt on hardware upgrades without understanding the overall effect on the ECU calculations.

I see the agent that did my Revo remap has switched back to APR after less than 18 months with Revo.  Roll Eyes

TTQS
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:44:08 PM by TTQS » Logged
RRRS

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2012, 08:37:42 AM »

hope you don't fall into the trap that I've seen other Mk1 TT enthusiasts succumb too which is to just bolt-on hardware upgrades without understanding the overall effect on the ECU calculations.
That´s why i´m here.  Wink
I´d like to understand the ECU calculations BEFORE i upgrade my hardware!
I don´t like to give the car away to a"tuner" to get a remap not knowing what he changed within the maps nor to get satisfieng answers what he has done.
Thanks for providing the BAM/BFV files, helping to understand the differences a lot.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:39:43 AM by RRRS » Logged
lulu2003

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2012, 06:27:22 AM »

Why would such systems use load as a main lookup factor when it wouldn't affect flame speed? :-)
very true, but it underlines what I mean: there is no simple "factor" to calculate the flame speed depending on boost. you need to determine it on experience or dyno.

IMO, this should far outweigh any reduction in transposition rate due to the denser, heavier charge.

yes, I would like to have that proved Wink  "IMO" and "should" is no physical law. and indeed it seems to neutralize each other. many tunes (not only me7) work fine by increasing boost and changing lambda significantly, but not touching ignition.
masterj

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2012, 06:57:31 AM »

I have few small questions:
during part throttle ecu ignores LDRXN and works only in KFMIRL limits?
during wot ecu ignores KFMIRL limits and works only in LDRXN limits?

or LDRXN is applied no matter what,  but during wot kfmirl is ignored?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: