Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Yeah, I'm stupid enough to admit it.  (Read 10502 times)
mikeb52

« on: November 22, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »

Hey gents. Need to share a story some may relate to.

So I bought a 2000 Audi A4 1.8t ATW 150 HP, and with the help from here was able to improve the bin, remove loads of unnecessary stuff and made the car perform better than it had in years.
Jump ahead two years, give the car to my son. He takes it in for the clean air test, due on my upcoming birthday, and it fails. Seems the cat monitor is disabled now and the clean air machine knows it.
So now, I need to relearn how to read my bin, re enable the cat monitor, or restore to a stock ATW bin, if they exist anywhere.
Still can open nefmoto, found my saved bin files but cannot remember which ME7 Mem layout to use.
Ideally I'd like to just retweak the existing bin to pass clean air, but am damned if I recall how I did it two years ago.
Anyway, write stuff down! That's the moral of my story gents.
Any help re the above would be appreciated.. ribbing for getting old, expected.  Lol..
Cheers.
Mike.
KasperH

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 01:07:12 AM »

IIRC the memory layout is 29f400 Smiley

This might help:
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0
mikeb52

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »

Hey Kasper, thanks. That helps a lot.
Nice thing about re-learning things is it takes less time..
Connected nefmoto flasher with my ftdi cable to tha car, hit refresh, saw FT232R USB UART as my device, hit connect slow init,
Result "failed to read test echo from ftdi device. Make sure cable is in dumb mode and connected to the OBD port."
So, now to reread how to configure my obd cable again. Was hoping nothing changed but something must have.
Thanks again brother. Once I can copy my ecu file from the car I will check CDKAT and go from there.
Mike.
mikeb52

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »

Well, reinstalled the ftdi driver to version 2.12.28 and it shows my cable as being serial port(com1)
I'm running Nefmoto 1.9.1.2, and have two cable choices, both of which says they supports premium features within nefmoto.
Still won't connect and get the echo error code and make sure you are in dumb mode.
I can read my obd from my alternate stand alone reader, but even though I get the light in the cable while connected, continues to get same connection error.
Same thing in vcds-lite, shows there on comm3 as pass through etc, but won't read or connect...
Reviewing the noob walk through again..
Sigh
mikeb52

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »

Well, I was using the wrong laptop, hehe. I used an Xp laptop to flash the car and my win 7 rig to do my offline programming.

Ok, now I have read and saved my installed bin file using the 400bb mem lay out. A pop up appeared at the start saying the mem layout appeared invalid, but the file transfer was successful.
Can't remember if I saw that message two years ago... is that a worry?

Now I'm running a compare in tuner pro and see my cat monitor cdkat is, as expected, set to 0. Deleted sai and a bunch of other stuff back when, so now I'm hoping just to reenable cdkat and associated post cat sensors and pass clean air with minimum mods.
Cat monitoring is what the test failed for at the ministry, so that's where I am going to focus..
Cheers, and thanks.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 04:58:11 PM »

Well, I was using the wrong laptop

Any idea what was wrong with the wrong laptop?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
mikeb52

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »

The win7 laptop didn't have the proper ftdi drivers, I presume.
Nor a copy of vcds, just vcds lite and I couldn't force the cable into dummy mode.
So happy I still had a connecting xp rig I didn't spend too much time trying to ascertain what was going wrong on the newer laptop. Think deleting and reinstalling all the latest versions will be in order over the holidays.

Checked the bin pulled out of the Audi and yes, I've disabled cat, post cat o2. No wonder it failed the clean air test.
I need to find a happy medium between stock and what I was running as there is no more sai, but there is still a cat and an o2 sensor etc installed in the car.
Want to ensure in two years my son won't be facing the same reflash issues.
BIN comparison is a great feature In tunerpro I am rediscovering this weekend.
Smiley
mikeb52

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 11:39:03 AM »

Here's my code status currently, post reflash.
Now to see if I start throwing codes again once the required number of restarts has been made.
Red means still testing, yellow means not supported on my app.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:40:50 AM by mikeb52 » Logged
mikeb52

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »

Bad news update.
Threw a code P0411 for the secondary air.
Tried to change CDSLS to 0 to disable secondary air monitor. Checked bin with me7corrector,  o errors found. Connected with nefmoto, reflashed, disconnected after success. Started and ran car once. Shut off, now won’t restart, just turns over. And nefmoto will not reconnect?
WTF? Have I bricked this thing somehow?
Everything seemed to look proper...
Please help with any suggestions from your 3xperience. My boys gonna be some mad at his dad as he works midnights this week..
thanks guys.
mikeb52

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »

If I somehow checked the wrong bin with me7 and flashed a bin with checksum errors, would it still run through a rewrite without errors and allow the car to drive once before locking up?
While it was running that first time I was able to connect my wireless dongle and read the new diagnostics as I did in the above picture. It did show secondary air not supported. But then like I said. I shut the car off and now it will not restart or allow nefmoto to reconnect. Fails at address 0x01 three times repeated, then goes back to stand by.
Now that it won’t start, the WiFi dongle no longer connects either. Really believe I somehow installed a bin file with checksum errors by mistake. Too many versions open at the same time I guess. That would explain why nothing connects, or starts anymore.
Now to relearn how to flash in boot mode, or if it can be done while still in the car,etc. dang it.
Thanks in advance for some suggestions.
Mike.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:41:34 PM by mikeb52 » Logged
mikeb52

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »

My specs are:
2000 Audi A4 B5 1.8T ATW 150 hp 4B0906018P 0261206537 1037352750 .bin
I never had this one bricked so am not sure of which pin needs to be grounded to force boot mode, while still in car. Presume the ecu is under the windshield like on the Jetta at this point.
Then I will use nefmoto to reconnect I presume? as I start to relearn all this stuff in a hurry.

I’ve only flashed one ecu in boot mode on the bench so would really prefer to do this one in car I think. And that was over 4 years ago.
Cheers, and thanks.
Mike.
KasperH

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »

As far as i know, galletto 1260 cable/software can do boot mode while in car.
But i might be wrong?

The other option is to remove ECU and open it.
It should be pin 24 on the AMD 29f400 chip Smiley
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:18:32 PM by KasperH » Logged
mikeb52

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »

Galetto 1260 and cable can boot in car? That may be the ticket.
Thank you Kasper.
This pc doesn’t have galetto on it it seems, but was the one I used when I boot flashed an 02 1.8t out of a Wolfsburg Jetta a few y3ars back.
Wondering out loud how I boot flashed 8t back then..
Is Galetto available like nefmoto?
Regards.
Mike
mikeb52

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 04:17:32 PM »

I’ve installed Galetto 1260 successfully and hesitate now to remove all my ftdi chip drivers.
From what I’m reading galetto may have a conflict with the ftdi chipset and require all existing drivers to be removed.
Think I will actually install galetto on my win7 laptop as it wasn’t working with the ftdi dongle anyway. That way, once unbricked I can reuse the space machine to further diagnose what went wrong on my last flash as after all this, I still need to get the car to pass clean air..
Will be reading lots more tonight I think..
Thanks again.
KasperH

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »

Galetto is premium software/cable.
But there is "cracked" software iirc.
And you can flash a kkl cable to work with it Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: