Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Security for files, dissuading potential piracy, I have Ideas, need help plz  (Read 15753 times)
IamwhoIam

I'm not a tuner, I'm trying to learn how to tune my own car. Figured Maestro would be a good starting point to get the basics down

So in may of this year you weren't a tuner, but in just a little over 6 months you've learnt so much and figured so much out that your tunes are the bestest out there and you feel entitled to protecting them against copiers? Hahahaha! Pathetic at best...

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
littco

So in may of this year you weren't a tuner, but in just a little over 6 months you've learnt so much and figured so much out that your tunes are the bestest out there and you feel entitled to protecting them against copiers? Hahahaha! Pathetic at best...

I'm going to cut the guy a little slack here.

He's created a tune for a customer of said hybrid turbo manufacture that might actually work or at least be better than the none sense that was sold with the turbo at the time.. His 6months of learning can not be any worse than the sh*t that was sold to the customer!
sn00k

on the topic..

everybody with decent knowledge of the me7 could locate and copy the maps needed in any tune.. as long as the ECU can read the flash and values, so can we.

you can make things a bit harder and offset maps.. like many "pro"s do.. but its still easy to locate and copy the maps.

another way would be to add multipliers/factors to the values in the maps themselves, by manipulating the code for how the ECU reads the map.. this would make the n00b copy-paste tuners scratch their heads.. since the values in the maps would be useless to them.. but still not protect against someone with knowledge in dissassembly.

another way would be to add custom code.. and add a checksum correlating to certain locations WITHIN the most used maps.. so it basically takes a certain row/segment in KFMIRL/KFMIOP/KFZW/2/LDRXN etc and calculates a checksum for this.. that can be hidded in any other used map.. and trigger a checksum error, or add to certain map-values to make the tune go bananas..

if any of the segments are changed, and the checksum missmatch..... no go.

Gonzo

Custom code with scrambled map areas  Wink
prj

Custom code with scrambled map areas  Wink
Waste of time.

The people who want to copy it, will just boot mode it and clone the EEPROM + FLASH = done.
The people who can tune do not need to look at your shit.
The people who want to look at what the tune does can simply log the car and they will see exactly what it is doing. There is no need for the file itself.

Any time someone is asking about "protection" on a forum you can be 99% sure they have no idea what they are doing.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

I agree. By a large a huge waste of time and effort on all accounts.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

I don't need to speak to any of the tuners you call true professionals. My files are very good, The people using them have used the "best" tunes on the market and mine outperforms them in EVERY way imaginable.

LMFAO

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
littco

Shame that post got deleted..
nyet
Administrator

Some people just take everything personal.

Bottom line: at this late stage, no me7.1 file is worth protecting.

Anybody who thinks their special sauce is special enough to justify the huge amount of work to make their file marginally less easy to copy is clueless or delusional.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
RaraK

cement your 29fxxx chip to the ecu lid when you close it up, theres your security.  Tongue
IamwhoIam

I hear some people do that with BDM ports Smiley

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
B234R

cement your 29fxxx chip to the ecu lid when you close it up, theres your security.  Tongue

Yep and then shoot yourself in the leg when you need to boot that ECU, because an OBD write crashed ;-)

I know you meant it ironically, but you never know who might think that this is a good idea  Roll Eyes
RaraK

Yep and then shoot yourself in the leg when you need to boot that ECU, because an OBD write crashed ;-)

I know you meant it ironically, but you never know who might think that this is a good idea  Roll Eyes

Hey you know, if you have such "L33t" ME7 tune i guess this is what you need to do,  Grin
n0ble

all that coming from the same guy that doesnt know what a usb cable is?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6031466-USB-part-of-Maestro-cable-worn-out-check-this-out

Haha k0mpresd nice find!
Snow Trooper

+1 on basically everything else, everyone else said to you.  Your first post stinks of arrogance and is hilarious because you are dead serious, from there your true colors show.  If you are so good at tuning people will pay you for a custom tailored file for their car, even if it has a common setup. 

A file you made that is loose enough to be sorta ok enough, to seem better than a shit file does not make you the next Greg Branish, people can copy past that all day, so what.

You did nothing in any motronic file that someone else hasnt done before you, you need to get that through your head.  You think you are the only guy who tunes and spins wrenches?  LOL, get real man.

Then you want to say people here are nerds or not professionals (assumptions) huh, because they point out your flawed logic and delusions of grandeur?  Well you are the one asking them for help, moron!

cartoons?
6A 61 72 65 64 40 76 6C 6D 73 70 65 63
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: