Pages: [1]
Author Topic: new from ohio!! need some info.  (Read 9182 times)
farley

« on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »

Hello!

figured i would join up here since it seems that this is a more capable way of tuning my GTI(1.8t) and my jetta (tdi). the tdi i have injectors and bolts ons and a clutch(already installed) and i refuse to pay a couple hundred bucks for software instead of tuning it myself.

the 1.8t is almost done...engines fully built and i am fabbing the intake manifold and the turbo manifold (pte6262). which brings me here.... i cant run a stand alone and still be road legal. so i ahve to somhow make the stock ecu work with no check engine lights....

i downloaded tunerpro and the demo of winols(i heard tis is expensive?)...i have read through a few DIY's and it seem slightly confusing as far as which cables i actually need and for which process.. because two off the diy's i have read have the cables different than the other diys...

any help will be greatly appreceated!!! thanks in advace!!

even if you guys just point me to a proper(known correct!!! diy) that will e a great help!
k0mpresd

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:03 PM »

those people charging a couple hundred bucks for software, after theyve spent thousands and thousands on tools.
not to mention the time, experience, and knowledge to make a proper running file.
those people are crazy.
but then youre here. asking for those same people to tell you what to do so you can do it yourself.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:28 PM »

I don't have a problem with him asking for help.

IMO the "my shit doesn't stink" attitude of many people that charge for tunes leaves a lot to be desired, especially when they complain about how expensive getting "information" is.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
k0mpresd

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:12:13 PM »

I don't have a problem with him asking for help.

IMO the "my shit doesn't stink" attitude of many people that charge for tunes leaves a lot to be desired, especially when they complain about how expensive getting "information" is.

then by all means, make him a file and send it to him. or link him to that diy he's asking for.  Smiley
but fwiw, i didnt say anything about getting information. i have thousands, literally, invested in hardware alone.

also, just curious, tomorrow when i lug my $4k x17 tool down the street to tune a '13 gli, should i not charge him? i mean, where do we draw the line exactly?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:19:38 PM by k0mpresd » Logged
farley

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

those people charging a couple hundred bucks for software, after theyve spent thousands and thousands on tools.
not to mention the time, experience, and knowledge to make a proper running file.
those people are crazy.
but then youre here. asking for those same people to tell you what to do so you can do it yourself.

glad to say you took what i said and didnt actually read into what  i said....but than here you are down talking me until you actually figure out what i asked.. so let me simplify it for your apparently overqualified and much more highly educated opinion,thus making you better than my self.

i am not looking for a damn file for my car for one.i also dont recall asking for you or anyone els eon this website to make me one. 2 i did not down talk any of these so called programs that are for sale for these vehicles. i have absolutly 0 problem paying for a system that will tune my car and allow me to retain a stock ecu to pass emissions  for my county.

so let me restate my previous post for your oh so highly evolved level of intellegence.

i ahve read a few diy's using winols..... the cable selection along with what logger program are in quesiton as to which programs work well with each other. if you ahve a better solution to flashing the stock ECU please enlighten myself as i shall ahve the correct informaiton to then make a proper purchase.

farley

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »

then by all means, make him a file and send it to him. or link him to that diy he's asking for.  Smiley
but fwiw, i didnt say anything about getting information. i have thousands, literally, invested in hardware alone.

also, just curious, tomorrow when i lug my $4k x17 tool down the street to tune a '13 gli, should i not charge him? i mean, where do we draw the line exactly?

what does you dropping 4k on that have to do with me asking for the correct information? if your so pissed off that people are trying to tune there cars them selfs why are you on this website in the first place?
ddillenger

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning

If you've read that, read it again. As for the cable. Galletto is good, it works with nefmoto, and it allows you to recover failed flashes (bootmode. Search, figure out how it works BEFORE YOU NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!). In addition, it can be used with me7logger and vcds lite. HOWEVER! I'd get MPPS (search for MPPS on ebay, they're all the same) as well. It's only another 16 bucks (I say ONLY because to be honest, you'll probably spend more time and money tuning your own car than you would if you paid someone), and also does bootmode flashing. You can never have too many options. As for tuning. Forget about winols, it's got a learning curve that's a bit too steep for a beginner. That, and without a license (you can't get one, you're not a pro tuner, and the price is $1000's) it's more of a hassle than it's worth. Get acclimated with Tunerpro, and purchase a checksum plugin license from MTX electronics. That's all you need to know.

On another note:

You'll find some of us to be a bit abrasive towards new members who ask questions that have been asked, and answered. Look at it from our perspective. Most people come on here asking for free files. Many of them register just to download and contribute nothing. Some of these guys work very hard, and your comment insinuating that a couple hundred bucks was excessive for that work was taken as an insult (albeit not  intended as such).

what does you dropping 4k on that have to do with me asking for the correct information? if your so pissed off that people are trying to tune there cars them selfs why are you on this website in the first place?

Let's just let this one go. At some point you may (you will) come across a problem that you need help with. It's best to make friends with some of the more experienced members. I can tell you that snapping back at perceived attacks is a quick way to get ignored (be it right or wrong). This is a very small community, everyone sees everything that's posted. Starting off on the wrong foot (again, whether you were in the right or not) will get noticed. There aren't a ton of guys who's opinions I value, but two of them have posted in this thread Smiley

I could write an essay about what you should do, what you shouldn't do, what you should read, who you should talk to, and more. Problem is, it's all been covered before. It may sound rude, but read the forums. All of them. Then, read them again. If after reading you have specific questions, politely ask them. I try to help anyone that has made a legitimate effort. Maybe, one day, (If you stick around, very few do) you can direct our new members to the appropriate places and offer the guidance you feel is lacking.

Cliff notes:

Galletto/MPPS
Play nice
Welcome.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:58:49 PM by ddillenger » Logged

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
k0mpresd

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »

such a way with words you have. lol. never something i possessed.
ddillenger

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 12:01:17 AM »

such a way with words you have. lol. never something i possessed.

I talk real good.

Grin

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
farley

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 08:41:17 AM »

thank you very much. that alone has awnsered the many conflicting questions i have had with what to buy and not to buy.

just persay i wanted to buy winols and you say 1'ks .... what are we talking? 1800? or above 2k?

Cliff notes:

Galletto/MPPS
Play nice
Welcome.

i do genuinely apologize for my hastly chosen words as a comeback. the problem stems from other forums where that would be considered just some random person chiming to purposfully cause shit. prime example would be a quite big vw website..... so to k0mpressed i do apologize as i did not know what primed your reaction. 

i am sure in about a month when everything is all buttoned up on my car...or earlier if i so choose to tune my tdi...ill be on here asking at least a few "noob" questions lol

k0mpresd

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »

ols is 1050eu for the basics i believe. but unless you are a professional/business owner or can fake it really well, they are not even going to respond to your email.
ddillenger

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »

ols is 1050eu for the basics i believe. but unless you are a professional/business owner or can fake it really well, they are not even going to respond to your email.

Not to mention the plugins.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:20 AM »

EVC is one of the biggest contributors to the "pro-tuners shit doesn't stink" fallacy that pervades the euro tuning community.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Jason

Breaks everything!

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »

EVC is one of the biggest contributors to the "pro-tuners shit doesn't stink" fallacy that pervades the euro tuning community.

Quoted for truth.   Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: