Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: S4 B5: 17743/P1335 - Engine Torque Monitor 2: Control Limit Exceeded  (Read 40884 times)
rnagy86

Hello,

So i've been hitting this error code for about 3 months when I slowly accelerate in 2nd gear and I hit 3800-4000 rpm the car stalls right away and goes into limp mode with MIL.
If I restart the engine the MIL goes away but the intermittent code stay until I clear it with VAG-COM.
I did not get this error code previously so I tought something might have broken in the car.

According to http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17743/P1335 there can be several things that can cause this, so I did the following:
- Intake hose(s) or intake system leaks (Unmetered Air) after MAF == NO LEAKS
- Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) faulty (replaced it with a brand new one)
- Engine Coolant Temperature sensor faulty (replaced it with a brand new one)
- Restricted Air or Fuel Filters (cleaned out my K&N filter and replaced fuel filter)

The only thing I did not do is to check the Check Intake Air Temperature sensor because according to VAG-COM the temperature values seemed sane for me. The only thing that changed since summer when I did not get this code is that now it's kinda humid and cold outside (- 5-8 C).

THe other thing is that I do not get this error when i am doing 100% TPS, where according to my vag-com logs I get up to 499nm. The max specified torque specified by ASR is 599.9.
Why the hell does it think that I exceed that by doing 50% TPS in 2nd gear.

The car is a S4 B5 (2000.05 from Switzerland) has RS4 K04 turbos, 85mm MAF, a high flow fuel pump, stock injectors and stock FPR.
Initially it came with a D-box but I managed to get parts from a crashed S4 from the UK which was running the above setup.
Unfortunately that car had an encrypted chip on an A-box, without any pointers to it's actual tuners, so if it is a software problem, I can't really fix that, unless I flash an M-box flash to my D-box (which works fine), but I don't really want to loose the tune I have because I don't feel confident enough to start out with my own tune.
I have basically no other issues with this ECU it pulls as hard as it should, unless I do half-throttle in 2nd gear. It does not happen in any other gears.

So does anyone have any idea what can cause this issue? I would be happy to do logging as much as needed, and I would really appriciate if someone could give me some pointers.

Thank you guys!
rnagy86

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »

Oh and there are no boost leaks either.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:08:44 AM »

It could be a tuning problem: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=1371.msg14368#msg14368

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
rnagy86

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

Yes that would make sense, but I did not get this error before and my driving habits did not change Smiley
masterj

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:21 PM »

KFMIZUFIL -> FFs
KFMIZUOF -> 00s
KFMIZUNS -> FFs
KFMI_UM -> updated to reflect KFMIOP
KFMPNS_UM -> FFs
KFMDZOF_UM -> FFs
KFMPED_UM -> FFS

Try these! Smiley Just in case...

rnagy86

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:49 PM »

The problem is, that I can't modify the chip. What can cause this outside of a software limitation?

KFMIZUFIL -> FFs
KFMIZUOF -> 00s
KFMIZUNS -> FFs
KFMI_UM -> updated to reflect KFMIOP
KFMPNS_UM -> FFs
KFMDZOF_UM -> FFs
KFMPED_UM -> FFS

Try these! Smiley Just in case...
rnagy86

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »

Let me say again, the car was running fine until end of 2011. I only got this starting last month, so it has to be either environment related or some faulty component.
masterj

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »

Let me say again, the car was running fine until end of 2011. I only got this starting last month, so it has to be either environment related or some faulty component.

It can be environment related, maybe colder air gave you bigger torque (for example with KFTARX). You'll have to find some way to edit maps and try it and if it doesn't work then you have a bad component

rnagy86

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »

Since I have a D box I can flash an M firmware onto it, but unfortunately I haven't found one for my setup yet that i can start out with.
rob.mwpropane

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »

Have you opened your ECU to verify what's going on inside? I mean, it may have an encryption chip, or maybe not. Bench flash, boot mode? I assume you tried to read with Nefmoto software? I'm a pretty big fan of starting fresh and learning to tune, but with your situation you really can't. Maybe you could pay one of the better known tuners on here to at least get your car running and then tune from there? Sounds like a software issue to me, but I am definitely not a pro.

This has nothing to do with cars but you can see my glorifying job at,

www.MWPropane.com
rnagy86

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:44:43 AM »

Have you opened your ECU to verify what's going on inside? I mean, it may have an encryption chip, or maybe not. Bench flash, boot mode? I assume you tried to read with Nefmoto software? I'm a pretty big fan of starting fresh and learning to tune, but with your situation you really can't. Maybe you could pay one of the better known tuners on here to at least get your car running and then tune from there? Sounds like a software issue to me, but I am definitely not a pro.

I've taken it to a guy who had the equipment to read the flash and now I am trying to get the actual file from him, but he told me that the maps are swapped so I guess it would be useless anyways.
rob.mwpropane

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:10:58 AM »

Sure they're swapped, but they still "look" the same. The addresses can't be switched all that far, and to avoid the problem your having you only need a few maps changed anyway. Again, I'm still a fan of DIY tune, for all we know, you may have a shit tune, but at least your car would run while you worked on your own tune, if that's what you decided to do.  Smiley

This has nothing to do with cars but you can see my glorifying job at,

www.MWPropane.com
rnagy86

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »

Oh i got this lovely code back with berttos' and tony's stage 3 file as well after we got a 10 celsius drop in temperature during the day 27 celsius vs 17 celsius with some rain and more humidity so i guess that the weather actually makes a difference in this case. I havent tried zeroing the suggested maps yet because i would really love to actually understand this problem better. Is it possible that the long term fuel trims were adjusted to the warmer weather and the sudden drop actually f**ked things up? Thanks in advance for the input!
rnagy86

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »

It can be environment related, maybe colder air gave you bigger torque (for example with KFTARX). You'll have to find some way to edit maps and try it and if it doesn't work then you have a bad component

So berTTos' stage 3 file has KFTARX flattened to 1.0 from -20.25 till 20.25 degC and for there it is going down from 1.0 to 0.8 at 6000 rpm and 120 degC.
This is slightly different from the stock KFTARX since that has a 0.96 at around 17 degC so I guess at that point less boost would occur?

Thanks
rnagy86

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 07:02:29 AM »

I've done some logging today with VAG-COM because I could not get ME7Logger working yet.

The CSV is available at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhrG40GHpr-hdG9DdzJTMVNZTm0wTWgwQTlRR1dBX0E

You can see that at row 322 I switched to 3rd gear and tried to pull away with about 25% of TPS and at row 327 I got dumped into LIMP mode with the usual control limit exceeded DTC.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: