Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bricked 2012 ecu's?  (Read 5310 times)
vwaudiguy

« on: June 03, 2012, 11:01:43 PM »

I've had a few friends now tell me about all of the big name tuners having situations where while flashing the latest VW/Audi ecus via bootpin mode, the ecu's just brick themselves..I'm pretty sure they have to do this for everything 09 and up, but it seems recently (2012) I keep hearing about this more and more..Any thoughts? I saw something on EVC's site about OE's getting wise (BMW) to bootpin flashing and password protecting the processors?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:49:24 PM »

Anyone?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Rick

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »

boot loader is password protected on new stuff yes, but you can get round it.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:46:41 PM »

This is correct. BUT I've heard that even after doing lots of them successfully they've run into situations where the ecu just becomes unresponsive following the same procedures as before.. One of my friends is a VW tech and they do boot pin flashing at his dealership. For them it's not a big deal because they just warranty it or whatever but he's curious as to what may have happened after doing more than 5 or so for the next one to just not work....He tried to bring it back to life with his VW factory tools, but there was just no communications all of a sudden. I'll ask him again tonight to maybe explain better what happened.

RaraK

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »

a guy that works at local vw dealer told me same thing, was with an APR flash in one of the tech's car.  ecu just bricked one day.  i dont know more details than that, we were just shooting the shit and he asked if i knew what that was, and hell i have no idea, i dont work for apr Tongue
vwaudiguy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »

This guy still has one of the bricked ecu's...I wanted to buy it from him (cheep) to see if anything could be done to get it back up maybe in the future. He said nothing burned, or touched any of the components on the board. He had the idea that maybe the ecu knew it was being powered up outside the car, and locked itself?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: