Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any adverse effects by leaving LFT_1 ON till redline?  (Read 1621 times)
armada

« on: June 16, 2022, 03:23:13 AM »

Hi,

I want to run LFT_1 mode till redline on dyno, then run STD mode till redline and taking into consideration the actual mass airflow (maf_sel_mon[0]) to adjust the point of activation of VVL in my specific case. The problem is that LFT_1 mode is inhibited when C_N_MAX_VVL_CTL (Threshold of engine speed when switching to VLFT_1 is not allowed) is reached. Of course, I can just raise it, however, I found this in FR:

C_N_MAX_VVL_CTL Maximum allowed engine speed at Valve Lift 1 above control of VVL to Valve Lift 1 is not allowed. Have to be set to the critical engine speed where Lift 1 just can be controlled.

So, I'm a little bit concerned just raising this limit. Is there any physical problem\engine damage that I may introduce by running LFT_1 till redline?

P.S. it is set to 4050 RPM stock.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:25:46 AM by armada » Logged
prj

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 03:39:02 AM »

And why would you want to do that?
Have you ever put the car on dyno? It makes much less power after 4000 rpm. Certainly no point to run it to redline, even with much larger charger.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 03:43:20 AM by prj » Logged

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
armada

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 03:56:34 AM »

And why would you want to do that?
Have you ever put the car on dyno? It makes much less power after 4000 rpm. Certainly no point to run it to redline, even with much larger charger.
Nope, never, I'm trying to prepare for the dyno session, which is quite expensive where I live. What drives me towards my conclusion is this datalog from my car (marked the interesting part in ORANGE, starting from row ~280+):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oKicgpSXqjSFY_Ly2oRx3PUzEEXDvNb83G5FtAh1N48/edit?usp=sharing

As you may observe, maf_stk_cbk_av[0][1] values are bigger than maf_stk_cbk_av[0][0]. maf_sel_mon[0] is using maf_stk_cbk_av[0][0] values after 3000 (in my specific case). So, from my perception there should be a benefit from switching to LFT_1 mode. Am I mistaken?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 04:43:52 AM by armada » Logged
prj

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 04:46:04 AM »

Your car does not have a MAF, you have a completely different turbo on it.
Those values are pretty much irrelevant because the VE calculation is completely wrong anyway.

You do need to go on a dyno, make boost request completely flat based on pressure ratio and test switchpoints. You will find that it does not make sense to go far past 4000.
I think I used 4100 or something for a 500hp car. Mind you this was 5+ years ago, but I do have my own dyno where I tested that on, I did not just put in a random number.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 01:15:37 PM »

you can always to road pulls and compare RPM/s

yes, it isn't a dyno, but if you are careful about methodology overlaying logs will illustrate exactly what is going on (generally)

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
armada

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 02:29:00 AM »

Your car does not have a MAF, you have a completely different turbo on it.
Those values are pretty much irrelevant because the VE calculation is completely wrong anyway.

You do need to go on a dyno, make boost request completely flat based on pressure ratio and test switchpoints. You will find that it does not make sense to go far past 4000.
I think I used 4100 or something for a 500hp car. Mind you this was 5+ years ago, but I do have my own dyno where I tested that on, I did not just put in a random number.
Thanks. I understand that the airflow is calculated based on MAP pressure and some modeled values (it was IS20 stock, but I copied modeled values from IS38 in my case to be closer to reality). But the difference is almost 18% of airflow on stock modeled maps in LFT1 mode compared to STD. Is my Hybrid IS38 500 hp turbo really so much different from stock IS38?

Anyway, my question was: is it safe to move the safety net beyond 4000 RPM to keep LFT1 position of VVL to test it on the dyno or any mechanical failure may appear?
cherry

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 04:52:10 AM »

There should be another value for max rpm for actuator shift, at least in Bosch ecu it is. Take a look to it. You will get high lateral forces to the system in high rpm.
armada

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 08:06:05 AM »

There should be another value for max rpm for actuator shift, at least in Bosch ecu it is. Take a look to it. You will get high lateral forces to the system in high rpm.
I can adjust the value. I’m trying to understand if it is safe or not.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: