Pages: [1]
Author Topic: About a month new!  (Read 5626 times)
P4Au

« on: April 07, 2013, 07:19:53 AM »

I join this forum about a month ago and learned a lot. (thanks)

My name is Patrick. I am studying electronics engineering and previously done computer programming in C, C++/Aka (Microsoft Foundation Class...MFC), Some assembly language (not real mode), and Java.

I also do all work on my personal cars. (From changing clutch to rebuilding engines)

Because of my background in electronics, fuel injection is all I know. While I know how diesel engines and its almost pure mechanical aspect work, I know nothing about carburetor fuel delivery cars. (don't care to know either)

I am not here to learn how to tune cars...I will leave that to the guys that have the time, skills, and patience to deal with that subject.  As we all know, flashing is not tuning... Even thou if told what parameters to adjust and by how much, its still an experiment issue with the possibility of a few things that can go wrong, either immediately or overtime.

Both of my cars are chipped by the way so I am not conservative there.

ONE:

What I am interested in is the memory map layout of the bin files. From what I understand it all depends on what model of AMD EPROM chip the ECU or cluster contain. What location can I find certain data (eg. VIN, SKC, Mileage, Engine Code, etc.) The thought process is to create a software, (NOT simple command line, but Windows or Android versions that will read in bin files and display info...of major interest is the SKC. As read here in the forum, the SkC is coded in hexadecimal (as is everything else in a hex editor) but need to be rotated then add a zero before it. (Thanks DDillenger)  Things like this is easy as ABC in programming and one can take advantage of this fact to present the data to the user in a structured or intended English-like form.

Of course I can create a program that chop up/encrypt my data and store them in multiple places, coded or un-coded.  I would be the only one who know how to decode this data. (can be figured out with the right tools and skills) The point is, this is what we are faced with and EPROMs contain several different software coding and schemes.

My interest at the moment is ME7xx since this is what I have at my disposal. ME7.1.1 (T box) to be exact. In reality, if a software is to be created it should cover all ME7xx.

TWO:

Calculation of checksums is another.

And yes, I have a bench top setup for both cluster and ECU. This way I can pull my own files. Also VAG-KKL interface, Original VAG-KEY-USB interface, and Galletto 1260 interface.  Will get a KWP2000 later.

THREE:

Data logging in OBDII
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:02:28 AM »

Please do not create polls unless it is a poll.

Use "new topic" not "create poll"

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
P4Au

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »

Sorry, I have no idea what is a poll.  I will use the create new topic next time. Stupid me, I thought that using the create new link would list my post outside of the Introductions section.

Just some of the things newbie do (lol)
P4Au

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:09 AM »

Thanks for the come back.  The program seem to have some issues reading *.bin files. The default extension is *.CSV. Even when forced to open *.bin files, it hang with the mouse cursor turned into an hour glass (busy!) and display a grid with no data.

In programming file extension is not an issue as far as reading a file go.  Raw binary data is just that and nothing else, it can always be read.

Now think of the file that is flashed to the ECU.  It has a stream that runs from top to bottom (EOF) A software designer will then decide how to structure the data (aka what location... or starting location stores what) Some data can be CPU instructions while the other data storage.  I am gonna go with the assumption that the ECU contains both since there is a checksum and looping schemes (bricking the ECU)

To make the point more clear, when you use VAG-COM, after polling the specific address it finds and display data such as the VIN number and other parameters.  Those guys have to know what address location and what scheme to use (if coded) to find this data.

This is the information that I am looking for.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:43:26 AM »

Welcome to the forums... I would suggest you break up your specific points into the correct sub forums to start a discussion.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
phila_dot

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 06:36:34 AM »

I haven't really dug into it too much, but VAG-COM works with a tester interface built-in the ECU. It doesn't really do anything on it's own.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: