Pages: [1]
Author Topic: hello from ohio. another noob.  (Read 7498 times)
mounty

« on: July 17, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »

Hey all.  I've been doing lots of digging lately and stumbled onto this site. 

So far it seems great.  I see a lot of people using tuner pro.  Which I've had for a few years. So I guess I'm not that new.   I understand that I need definition files and such.   But the problem I am having is that what I tinker with is just too old.  1990 Audi's.    One 1990 Audi 200 quattro turbo.  Being a 5 cyl running the factory cis system. . And the other being a 1990 Audi v8 quattro.

I can't seem to find  any files anywhere.   Anyone else around here mess with the dinosaurs?   
prj

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:36:09 AM »

Get a standalone ECU if you want to mess with those...

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
mounty

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »

Well that's reassuring
UrbanAssaultar

if you're not first, you're last

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:13:21 AM »

Well that's reassuring

Megasquirt or VEMS - 034motorsport makes a decent kit also. CIS is very a inefficient system and has it's limits, there is no aftermarket to make big power.
prj

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

The V8 is fuel injected with Motronic 2.4.
That one can make lots of power, but there is no knowledge out in the wild how it works, so you won't able to tune it correctly...

Just to get useful data out of it you will have to implement your own data logging routines and so on. BTDT Wink

Log your car properly.
mounty

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:16:46 PM »

I understand the restrictions of cis.
 I also understand that the people that make chips for them and used to, make fewer and fewer.

For someone wanting a little more out of their stock car I see a benefit from a chip vs the cost of vems or 034's nice unit.   

As per the v8.  I'm sure there are ways into it than that of a cis car because it is motronic.   Just not sure how.   And again the same story on people making chips for them.  I know of quite a few people that have them and say they are awesome. But they don't know how awesome as they don't even have the abt chip...    even if I could figure out how to do a carbon copy of chips..
prj

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:31:28 AM »

Sorry, if this seems harsh, but if you are asking such basic questions as to how to copy a 28DIP package chip, I don't see you getting very far with anything.

As for the V8 - you are not going to much/any power over it from standard. Their bane are the MAF's in the inlet manifold, which all read differently after 20 years, and making more power is mostly about getting a well working MAF and removing all the vacuum leaks. Second problem they have are the aluminum blocks which deteriorate.
The 3.6 PT engine is a bit better in this regard, as you can bore it out and sleeve it, but with the 4.2 engine after getting excessive ring clearance you have no option but to try to find a block in better condition.

Unless you are turbo- or supercharging the V8, or trying to convert it to a different fuel, there is no need to touch the ECU.

Log your car properly.
mounty

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:09:16 AM »

I understand.  You see a typical noon.  I get that.   Figured I found this site that seems to have such great knowledge.  Figured I would try. I'll just see what I come up with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: