Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: ASR, torque intervention, and the ESP button: has anybody used this for anything  (Read 40365 times)
userpike

As recently had those items apart for fresh 02J transmission swap, which I wish now I invested in 02M, but with the 02J I like B&M short shifter with the reverse lockout, which is not available for 6-speed, with Sachs stg2 228mm flywheel and clutch kit. All other transmission hardware is new, nuts, bolts, wiring, etc.

I put a custom "closer" ratio gear set in an EHA 02j case with Wavtrac for my GTI. I installed a Neuspeed short shift arm and custom gate selector arm(I forget the name of the company but they are based in Canada) on top the tranns. The Neuspeed part reduces foreward/backward shift lever travel 40%ish IIRC and the custom gate selector arm shorten the side to side travel 30%. I have the B&M knock off Ebay special short shift lever and can't complain...for 25 bucks shipped. lol So add I think another 20% less in shift lever movement to the total because of the shift lever itself. yes, its VERY short but became "notchy" compared to using the stock parts. I'm satisfied with the way it shifts but there may be some fine adjusting of the cable that could be done to smooth out the "notchiness" somewhat most likley. Also I want this instead.. http://vimeo.com/2782828 

I don't need a 6th gear as I don't drive on the highway much and if I needed to I could swap out 5th gear for one out of an 02j for a tdi without dropping the tranny in about 15mins and be good to go on a road trip. (02j that come on the tdi engines came with like a .71ish 5th gear)

It's like a $2000 project just to get the used parts necessary for the 02m swap.. tranny, axles, spindles, new hardware to bolt it all up etc... not to mention the extra cost of the Wavtrac for that tranns..( I won't ever go without a Wavtrac in any car EVER again..just sayin... Tongue) also it adds weight to the vehicle...at least its "low center of gravity" weight..

AFAIK the B&M short shift lever will fit the 6 speed, its the "short shifter" gear/gate selector arm assembly that sits on top the tranns is what's not interchangeable.
edgy

nyet, the only solution I found for ESP in my '01 was to grab the ABS pump and harness from a '00 B5 parts car; 1.8, 2.8, S4 doesn't matter, as long as it doesn't have ESP they're all the same (save for some minor pin swapping in the kick panel plugs depending on donor car motor).

Now, wiring it into your car is a challenge. Remove seats, trim, carpet, and the dash if you're feeling adventurous. The ABS w/ESP harness is much bigger and more complicated, obviously. But the hardest part of both removal and installation is fishing the end of the harness through the firewall, as there are clips holding the harness in place that are nearly impossible to reach.

IIRC, I also ended up using the two hard lines from the donor car's master cylinder to the ABS pump as well.

I guess the other option would be to hack the ABS/ESP controller under the back seat to defeat ESP and EDL, and make bias adjustable  Grin

2002 S4 full stg 3
2001 S4 stg 2
2001 TT 225 stg 2
1988 80q 4.2
2005 A4 (the wife's)
nyet
Administrator

ugh. sounds like more trouble than it is worth

but thanks for the info!

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: