Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible to replace an 800BB chip with a 400BB?  (Read 6898 times)
GWerks

« on: October 23, 2013, 07:52:06 AM »

Hey guys,

I recently flashed a MK4 GTI ECU (HJ box) with a file without doing the checksums and haven't been able to restore it so I bought a new ME7.5 ECU, my surprise was that went I opened it the chip in it was a 400BB chip, now, if I defeat the immo on this 400BB ECU, can I flash it with the HJ box .bin file and run the car?

Thank you,
GWerks
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »

29f400bb ecu's are narrowband.

29f800bb ecu's are wideband.

Besides the fact that the 29f400bb is only a 512kb ecu, it doesn't have the hardware for the wideband.

In short, not a chance.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
coreyj03

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:12 PM »

What about the reverse? flash 400bb file onto 800bb ecu?  i could solder in a 400bb chip if necessary
ddillenger

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »

Yes, you can do the reverse, but it wont change anything. You still have to run the 29F400BB file and fill the empty space on the chip with either FF's, or double the file.

Adding a larger chip won't allow you to run the newer files as the ecu is still not wideband compatible.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
coreyj03

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »

reason i ask is because i have a customer who has a 2000 audi TT with narrow band ecu the has a checksum error . audi dealer wanted to replace ecu, i told him i could reflash it. so i did and while i was in there i changed a few maps for some more power as he requested with winols.  it was fine for a few days now he says the CEL is back on but i haven scanned it yet to see the fault code is( hopefully its not checksum error).   but just in case it is, i wanted to replace the ecu , but i dont have any 400bb narrow band ecus, however i have a stack of 800bb wide band  ecus i could convert to narrow band .bin file if you are right ddillenger.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »

The 29F800BB and 29F400BB ecu's are different. One cannot run the software of the other regardless of what you do.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
_nameless

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:04:24 AM »

reason i ask is because i have a customer who has a 2000 audi TT with narrow band ecu the has a checksum error . audi dealer wanted to replace ecu, i told him i could reflash it. so i did and while i was in there i changed a few maps for some more power as he requested with winols.  it was fine for a few days now he says the CEL is back on but i haven scanned it yet to see the fault code is( hopefully its not checksum error).   but just in case it is, i wanted to replace the ecu , but i dont have any 400bb narrow band ecus, however i have a stack of 800bb wide band  ecus i could convert to narrow band .bin file if you are right ddillenger.
post your tt file and i will correct checksums

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:32:50 AM »

Not all checksum errors can be fixed. There's a point where the hardware fails and causes this.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
coreyj03

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »

this is not my problem, i can correct checksum with winols.  turns out it was an evap error,  so my reflash of ecm fixed checksum error so far.

i work for VW so i run into checksum error all the time on newer cars, and solution is to replace ecm, techs dont have access to reflash ecus unless it is a recall/update with a 4 digit update code for online server reflash.  only vw engineers have this capability. 
coreyj03

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 12:02:13 PM »

The 29F800BB and 29F400BB ecu's are different. One cannot run the software of the other regardless of what you do.

i understand what you were getting at now .thanks for info.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: