Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vag Commander problem- finding SKC  (Read 16049 times)
jazzageuk

« on: March 29, 2015, 04:04:22 AM »

Hi. Apologies if this is in the wrong place- was not sure if I should post at end or even start a new one. I'm also tring to get my SKC in order to program a new tansponder (only have one key currently). My car is an Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi 2004 model (IMMO3 and B6).
Have purchased a vag commander 3.6 from china OBD. Also have VCDS (which works). Vag commander doesnt. It did manage to read over K-line on one accasion, but now wont communicate at all- just get 'target unit not responding' or 'device doesn't respond to wake up event'. Have tried opening channel on 07 Kombi, and also by selecting 'Engine Control Unit' and trying to read EEPROM.

Can anyone advise what to try next. (Have tried with Win7 and also an old XP laptop). Thanks
_nameless

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 04:48:39 AM »

I would avoid using clone tools on a b6 cluster... Can end bad(ask how I know). There's a tool floating around for reading the EEPROM from the ecu for edc on the immo section. Personally I'd go that route, if you brick your cluster unless you have a full dump to restore for that cluster you might as we'll throw it in the bin afterwards. Pm k0mpresd (Ian) he's good with clusters and has real tools.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
jazzageuk

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:49:14 AM »

Thanks Marty

I'll do as you suggest- sounds like you had a bad (and expensive?) experience. I've certainly had a less than satisfactory expedience so far.
_nameless

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:21:32 AM »

Yes def error and didn't have the encrypted read.

If you are in the market for a tune and would like the ease of downloading and flashing a dyno tested tune for a fair price check out https://instatune.sellfy.store/
jazzageuk

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:29 AM »

Here are a couple of screen shots from my attemt to read EEPROM via VAGeepropmprogrammer. Tool then showed a Rx Timeout error.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 10:23:19 AM »

screen shots

sigh.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:50:55 AM by nyet » Logged

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
_nameless

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »

Use dash> read  encrypted EEPROM or crypto cluster option like that to take a read. But I'd advise not to do so...

jazzageuk

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 12:04:51 AM »

Thanks Marty,
Not sure if I should try or not- dont want to risk losing my only key, and dont want to pay price dealers are charging.
If I do try to recover SKC I believe it is in both cluster and Engine EUC- is either of these options less risky- or easier to recover. Thanks
_nameless

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 02:12:51 AM »

Here's a thought to consider, if you brick your cluster won't matter if that is your only key. Your car will shutdown on immo if you brick your cluster. To a certain point you have to pay to play, you say you don't want to spend the money for skc read? Well a bricked cluster and a car that won't start is what your gunna end up with. Read the EEPROM from your ecu if you want a safe method of retrieving it. 

turboat

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 03:11:30 AM »

If you do decide to gamble on bricking your car, make sure its parked somewhere convenient, close to home, where it wont be in the way for a few days. Last time I bricked my A6, it was 30 miles away from home in my workshop - genius move!
jazzageuk

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:04:44 AM »

Thanks Marty and Turboat- good advice.

Definitly seems reading ECU is best bet. Unfortunely VAGeepromprogramer when I tried to

Read EEPROM option on ECU dropdown, it didn't work ('communicating' follwed by 'Rx Timeut' error).

On Dash dropdown there are options to 'read EEPROM' and also on dropdown 'Immo3 Info/Bosch/Audi A4 (RB4 Encrypted)'

My dash is 8E0 920 950 M- the Bosch one I believe. So looks like this tool wont do ECU read and I'm reluctant to try via dash.

Can anyone recommend a tool that can retrieve SKC via ECU?

thanks
seanf

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »

I used k commander 2.5 I just googled it and d/l the first link with a $7 blue ebay cable to pull my skc from the ECU using this guidehttps://sites.google.com/site/imnuts/ then I used a licenced version of vcds and programmed my new key. Took me 5 minutes earlier this afternoon.
jazzageuk

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 06:45:19 AM »

Thanks seanf

I tried to use k commander to get skc. Unfortunately could get communication with the ECU (and I didn't want to risk trying to read cluster data as there are so many bad experiences relating to the bosch cluster. Thanks anyway.
A6_C5_Allroad

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »

Thanks seanf

I tried to use k commander to get skc. Unfortunately could get communication with the ECU (and I didn't want to risk trying to read cluster data as there are so many bad experiences relating to the bosch cluster. Thanks anyway.

You can buy a cheap programmer, like the MiniPro TL866CS for under $50 on Ebay, along with the SOIC8 Adapter that clamps onto the Eeprom and reads directly from the chip, without having to solder off and on.    It's a handy tool that you may need at a later time, or you could always sell it after you're done with it.

Here's a link to the cable SOIC adapter that plugs into any Willem type programmer, like the MiniPro TL866 :  http://www.ebay.com/itm/381028670542
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: