Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Firing up a ME7.5  (Read 3945 times)
DSmalls

« on: September 08, 2015, 02:07:53 AM »

Not sure where I'm going wrong but any help gratefully received.

I am attempting to convert a 55yr old land rover with a cologne V6 (1972) to electronic throttle. I have an electronic throttle body from a MkI TT and I have fabricated a system for it to operate the throttles on the old DGAS Weber carb (vid attached if you're interested). I then got an ME7.5 from an Audi A4 and following the excellent advice here on the site, I desoldered the EEPROM and changed the 4 bytes to render it IMMO free. I have VAG-COM which works fine and using another cable I can run nefmoto but with some issues.

So here's the problem, I have the ME7.5 powered up, I have throttle (6 pins) connected and I can see the angle correctly with VAG-COM, I have resistors to give normal temp and an arduino to give the engine rotation sensor an input and VAG-COM shows the correct RPM. I have the accelerator pedal connected but I can't get any action on the throttle. Also no activity on the injector or ignition coil outputs.

Do I have to buy a dashboard as well or is there a way of fooling the ME7.5 into running the engine ? Are there any other sensors I need to emulate to convince this thing to get active.

Any help please.

Derek
Thanks
adam-

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:50:49 AM »

How are you controlling ignition?

If you're going to rely on the Landy stuff and purely use ME7.5 as throttle control; you're basically attempting to do what I wanted to do with bike carbs on my Polo.

I'll wait to see what you say about ignition, but I also want to follow, because this is interesting.
DSmalls

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »

Thanks for your interest. 

My original intention was to write my own software for the Throttle but after I build a high power H-bridge to handle the pulse width modulation to control the throttle, I ran into several issues, firstly, preventing fine judder when the throttle is close to its target position, smoothing the sampling causing a slower response, so at that stage I thought that I could save a lot of time by reverse engineering a Bosch unit.

As I spent more time on it I began thinking that maybe I could use it to run more that just the throttle as the old Cologne V6 has electronic ignition but its hateful Ford's Duraspark system branded as motorcaft. These use a hall sensor in the base of the dizzy and are generally considered to be crap (although it's worked faultlessly for 20 yrs). The only problem is that the ECU I bought is for a 4-cyl engine and the Cologne is a V6.

The appeal of using the Bosch for everything is that I could dispense with the dizzy, use ignition packs and have more control over the engine. Temp, Lambda, airflow are simple, RPM and TDC are more fiddly, but I need to do those anyway to allow the throttle to run the idle. My solution is to machine a toothed ring and weld it the the front engine pulley and then mount the two sensors to read off it.

But I'm still not able to get the thing to come to life, I presume that the two data channels from the dash module must send instructions about starting and running which is why I'm not getting any signals from the throttle, ignition or injector outputs. Interestingly, the cooling fan output is working, it uses 1KHz PWM to control cooling fan speed in response to me artificially altering the coolant temp.

Hope this helps.

Derek
adam-

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »

It does sound like you're planning on doing exactly what I was doing with the Polo.  My idea was to mount the throttle body to control the carbs and thus ignition timing.  I would still have to fab a method of finding TDC, but the original 60-2 wheel would still be there.

I could use the coils from the original engine to provide spark.

The only reason I wanted to do it was because no-one else had.  But, when I asked (I had like a 2 post count) and got shot down in flames because "carbs are retarded", etc etc.  I only wanted to try something new.

It does look like you've got the throttle control pretty much perfect, but the ECU should be able to run without the dash, I'd have thought; even if there was a shit load of errors.

I'm still unsure how you're going to control the other two cylinders that the ECU has no support for?  Would you be better off starting with say, an R32 ECU?  6 cyl, N/A?
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:58:33 AM »

carbs are retarded

Wink

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
adam-

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:12:19 AM »

It was cheap, hadn't been done ever to my knowledge and the ECU was sitting there.  And I like dicking about.

The noise of carbs are outstanding, and you know it! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: