Pages: [1]
Author Topic: B5 S4: Code for Random and Misfires in Cyl 5. But logs show differently.  (Read 5983 times)
Carlo1170

Kind of odd. So I've got a misfire, and after i converted my A-Box to an M-box (with Bosch settings) it's finally giving me the following codes:

P0300- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

Seems pretty straight forward right? Not so fast. Decided to dive a little deeper and do a log, which logged Misfire Count per cylinder. No misfire counts on cylinder 5, but Cylinder 4 is full of them.

Now I'm thinking because I'm getting a random misfire code along with that cylinder 5 code, that because the cylinders are right next to each other, its just picking it up? What do you guys believe to be more accurate? I would assume the logs would pinpoint the issue? Has anyone else seen this issue?

Haven't gotten a chance to switch around coil packs yet, but multiple pulls and logs only point to cylinder 4, and the codes are the same everytime (random misfire and cyl. 5).
vwaudiguy

I've seen this before. Sometimes the earlier me7 cars will mis-report misfires when it comes to DTC's. I would go off the logs first. Had a v6 once reporting misfires on a cylinder, when after doing a visible inspection we found the cam lobe had lost its egg shape on the cylinder next to it. Changed the cam, and everything was good.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Carlo1170

That is what I was suspecting since I'm getting both Random and that Cyl 5. I believe the ECU is just confused as to where its coming from.

Anyone else have input on this?
nyet
Administrator

Absolutely. Do not trust what the ECU is saying, i've seen several situations where it gets the cyl wrong. It generally gets the bank right though.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Carlo1170

Absolutely. Do not trust what the ECU is saying, i've seen several situations where it gets the cyl wrong. It generally gets the bank right though.

So you're saying my knock detection through my actual logs could be incorrect? Or are you just referring to the cyl. 5 misfire code? I think I'll do some coil swapping tomorrow, that should pinpoint the issue.
nyet
Administrator

Don't trust the ECU to tell you exactly which cyl.

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Carlo1170

Well.. Did some swapping around today. Swapped Coil 1 for Coil 4.. Still had the same misfire detected through logs (only misfires in Cyl. 4), albeit lower, and wouldn't trigger a CEL this time. The plug is cylinder four looked great, not wet and a nice color. Gap was .025.

Just for diagnosing purposes, I also swapped my ICMs around, with no change..

Any further ideas?
nyet
Administrator

Try 5.

ECUx Plot

Carlo1170

I'm at a loss.. but the issue is fixed haha

I swapped Coil 5 for Coil 2.. Did a few logs and I'm getting 0 misfires. Not really sure what happened, but I'm okay with it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: