Pages: [1]
Author Topic: w8 cluster in b5.5 passat help  (Read 6677 times)
megadoc

« on: June 14, 2015, 11:05:25 AM »

hey guys, recently  swap my cluster out with  one from the w8 passat.
I made my modifications by editing the bin   but I cant seem to find the address for
fuel signal input, its reading no fuel can anyone help?
 also,Is it possible to retrieve the radio code from the cluster? I don't know where to find it in my bin
thanks!

tjwasiak

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »

There is no radio code stored in cluster. Setting VIN to match your car should be sufficient for radio not to ask for code. But you have to recode CAN gateway so the gateway built into the cluster will know what devices are present on the bus.
I do not understand what issues do you have with fuel signal as this one is compatible with other cars. You will face issue with coolant temperature gauge as W8 cluster is not using direct connection to sender but getting the data from ECU over CAN (which your ECU does not provide). AFAIK it is doable to revert that change but you would have to change some elements on the board of the cluster (some have to be removed, some have to be replaced and some have to be added) and then reflash the cluster with normal 3B0 dump.
megadoc

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 12:00:02 PM »

thanks for your reply ,my temp gauge is currently working via CAN ,I have also  done the "linearization" mod and this works perfectly,  my issue is , in that bin the fuel signal is processed via CAN,  I just need to find the bit that switches it to  analogue but I dont know where to find it

as for the radio it is currently displaying safe   but I will  get at that some other time,  my main thing is the fuel gauge

thanks again!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:01:46 PM by megadoc » Logged
tjwasiak

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »

AFAIK there is no module (even in W8) which is able to send fuel level signal over CAN as it should be directly connected to instrument cluster. I will check wiring diagrams in ELSA to be sure later.

EDIT: BTW which ECU/engine does your Passat have so it is able to use CAN coolant temperature signal? From your W8 cluster EEPROM dump I can tell it does use CAN as a source for coolant temperature but that we all knew before.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:53:21 PM by tjwasiak » Logged
megadoc

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »

tjwasiak,thanks again for your patience ,my passat uses  the AWT engine  my  ECU bin was posted here two years ago
http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2299.0

I think the W8  uses a fuel pump control unit and that unit sends the fuel level info to the cluster via CAN bus  
but if this  cluster is  flashed with the  bin from maybe a diesel I am sure the fuel gauge will work, so my thinking was
that it may just be a matter of  changing some bits,just  like how it  is done for temperature.

tjwasiak

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 07:56:13 PM »

Unfortunately I will be able to check ELSA not sooner than in 8 hours. After that I am going to compare your W8 dump with some other dumps I have and maybe I will find something helpful regarding your fuel gauge.
Hollywood

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »

if you plug in the new cluster, the radio goes into safe mode, but old cluster, radio comes back? I'm pretty sure that changing the vin and immo id in the cluster will fix that, if your CAN busses are wired correctly.
tjwasiak

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 02:49:36 PM »

CAN gateway have to be recoded so it will rescan for available modules on the bus.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: