Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US regulators grant DMCA exemption legalizing vehicle software tinkering  (Read 4572 times)
nyet
Administrator

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/us-regulators-grant-dmca-exemption-legalizing-vehicle-software-tinkering/

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
ddillenger

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

super.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
k0mpresd

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »

yay!
mister t

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 12:57:31 AM »

As a lawyer, I applaud the legal reasoning of the decision.

From a practical standpoint, it wouldn't have changed anything for me either way (if I lived in the US).

As far as I'm concerned, go ahead auto makers, sue me lololol. Good luck proving that tinkering with my ECU caused you any compensable loss even if you did win. [insert middle finger icon]

Funny thing being a criminal defense lawyer. When you have people calling you for advice on 2nd degree murder charges, copyright law just doesn't rate much on my 'giveadamn meter'  Wink
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:00:52 AM by mister t » Logged
reset

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 12:59:14 PM »

I believe the DMCA is a criminal statute not civil
RBPE

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 08:01:42 AM »

As a lawyer, I applaud the legal reasoning of the decision.

From a practical standpoint, it wouldn't have changed anything for me either way (if I lived in the US).

As far as I'm concerned, go ahead auto makers, sue me lololol. Good luck proving that tinkering with my ECU caused you any compensable loss even if you did win. [insert middle finger icon]

Funny thing being a criminal defense lawyer. When you have people calling you for advice on 2nd degree murder charges, copyright law just doesn't rate much on my 'giveadamn meter'  Wink

The principles behind domestic copyright laws is universal pursuant to Article 17 of the Convention don't forget, so part ratification within a state is largely irrelevant under a fortori principles and the Rule of Law, which often makes lesser statutory provisions, or lack thereof as the case may be, somewhat irrelevant! Simple fact of the matter is that since this forum came into effect Bosch's bean counters would have noticed an increase in sales most likely and brought about by an increase in aftermarket tuners, which in turn means more aftermarket parts sales or oem part sales, more money in the economy etc......

Main thing now is to "seperate the wheat from the chaff" in terms of tuner quality!

Oh and as for criminal defence lawyers, are you better off not saying anything on the matter?  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: