Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone have a bad flash cause an ecu to get really hot?  (Read 3986 times)
infinkc

« on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:21 AM »

Had an ecu sent to me to help a friend bench flash it cause all he had was his car to flash with.  The ecu was in his car running, he flashed it with a new file and it would start up then die.

I got the ecu, plugged it in and noticed that the regulators next to the eeprom including the eprom and some more components were getting super hot (hot enough to burn yourself)

Anyone else heard of this?  i will be pulling off the eeprom to see if that fixes anything.

pvl

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »

"pulling off the eeprom" -> No you won't Smiley 
There is no eeprom in the ecu!  Nowadays it's a flashrom, as of M3.83/M5.82.

Can't make any contact with the ecu at all ?  Had it problems before Huh? (dtc's)

Read sticker on ecu, and read-out software via obd or benchflashharness. Compare
numbers (look into the software) if they match with the sticker. Ifnot, you might have
found the problem Wink

Normally they don't get that hot when doing nothing... Otherwise bosch had placed a heatsink
i think. They generally do a proper job on electronics as of design.

Cheers,

PvL
RaraK

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:22:51 AM »

I had this once with a junkyard ecu, i plugged in started making flash and it fried somehow, the magic smoke came out from underside of board.  Traced it to a bad internal ground from corrosion by moisture.  ECU went in the trash :/

Good luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: