Pages: [1]
Author Topic: maf scaling m-box  (Read 4153 times)
dilly

« on: March 11, 2020, 04:48:40 PM »

ok so upon reading i am still unsure about scaling the maf table.
im going from stock 72mm s4 maf housing to 85mm intake tube with filter. (Hitachi)
now i know some of you have opinions about having open element intakes but i struck a deal and it is what i have currently.

i did the calculation for the increase in size - (72mm -- 2.83*2.83*3.14 = 25.15) and (85mm -- 3.35*3.35*3.14 = 35.24) this yields an 18.1%increase in actual size. after dividing the two numbers and getting 1.40 do i multiply the whole table in tuner pro? comparing to a tip file i have that uses 85mm maf it is way off. and i have tried the tip maf table and the car misses at idle and upon acceleration etc.

anyone wants to chime in it would be appreciated. thank you
dilly

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 08:12:45 PM »

multiplied the stock table by 18% (* 1.18)and fuel trims are in the +/- 8% range now
i'll figure out what i need to data log and get those tomorrow
Kompiesto

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 05:32:40 AM »

In my opinion better gets RS4 linearization (83mm) and multiply to go on 85mm maf. I say that because, some areas are different after multiply than stock linearization compared to bigger rs4.

I show You different method, what i tested in the past. This is my method.

1 + ( 1 - (72mm*72mm*PI) / (85mm*85mm*PI) )  = 1,2825 <- multiplier

Copy table to excel and next, add maf offset to go to non negative values of map, then multiply by x and substract to table Yours added offset.

Example:  (one max value) ((1200kgh + 200) * 1,2825 ) - 200 = 1595gkh new max

If You multipled table by 18% and You have +8% correction: 1,18% * 1,08 = 1,2744 is very close 1,2825.

Normal is You must find new corrections in fkkvs or kfkh map

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:34:12 AM by Kompiesto » Logged
IamwhoIam

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 09:23:39 AM »

how do you multiply values for a Bosch sensor to a Hitachi table that doesn't contain negative MAF values? Maybe you have a secret for us here

I have no logs because I have a boost gauge (makes things easier)
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:00:14 AM »

how do you multiply values for a Bosch sensor to a Hitachi table that doesn't contain negative MAF values? Maybe you have a secret for us here

Yes, for bosch MAFs you have to apply the offset, scale, then offset back

My math is hazy but you may have to scale the offset as well.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
dilly

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »

i am aware about the bosch offset. but question is do i just disregard those steps in the calculation and stick to the pi equation that leads to the 1.28 for my set up?

wicked info. thank you for all that
Kompiesto

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 10:10:57 PM »

Sorry, I forgot! I checked today and i think only multiplying is enough. Additional calculations i use only when i have negative offset. IamwhoIam always watchful  Grin Cheesy

Yes, for bosch MAFs you have to apply the offset, scale, then offset back

My math is hazy but you may have to scale the offset as well.

I not saw much binarys, but offset OFS all time is same for different sizes of maf tube (I wonder why?)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:19:59 PM by Kompiesto » Logged
dilly

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 10:43:04 PM »

Sorry, I forgot! I checked today and i think only multiplying is enough. Additional calculations i use only when i have negative offset. IamwhoIam always watchful  Grin Cheesy

I not saw much binarys, but offset OFS all time is same for different sizes of maf tube (I wonder why?)
i know nothing about what you said but if i were to guess it just has to do with the sensor output. even though housing diameter changed either increased or decreased, the offset stays because the sensor uses it for proper calibration? anybody want to confirm lol
RBPE

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 06:44:11 AM »

"Only part of the air-mass flow is registered by the sensor element. The total air mass flowing through the measuring tube is determined by means of calibration, known as the characteristic-curve definition." - to quote Bosch. Or same sensor, different housings - temp/deviations as per HFM 5 pdf not withstanding in other words.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:53:46 AM by RBPE » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 09:26:46 AM »

I'm fairly certain you dont have to scale OFS.

I never have and it works fine.

If i had time i'd check the math but never got around to it.

Also, I've found that (empirically) the "correct" value is somewhere between proportional to r and r^2

I have no idea why.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
dilly

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »

what exactly should i log to fine tune this intake? just watching the fuel trims driving around town and steady highway driving they kind of float around more than i would like it to ie above =/- 10%. it is constantly to what i would think is overcorrection but have no faults. havent been able to watch them under load well because im solo riding for it and i need to pay attention to the road lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: