Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MED 17 ECM flash limit reached. Help?  (Read 2887 times)
jpmcleod

« on: January 10, 2023, 12:54:25 PM »

Hi guys,

First post on this forum. Im having an issue with my 2011 mk6 Gti. I've been using PCM flash to load files from my tuner over the last couple months. The last time i got a file the car overboosts big time so I decided to take the file off. Unfortunately, PCM flash gave me an error and will NOT let me take the file off. I contacted Oleg and was told that i have reached the flash limit of the car. ( i still find it hard to believe as ive probably only loaded 25 files). He then told me that he cant assist me.

Can someone please guide me on how i can go about resetting the flash counter on the ECU? car is no fun as the moment i get into boost it shoots up to 28-30psi. i only have VCDS, PCM flash and clone kess. Ive seen a couple other posts but none that seem to be Med 17. Can this be resolved using OBD?
prj

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 01:17:34 PM »

You can't resolve this via OBD at this point, since you can not enter a programming session anymore.
Need to reset it in EEPROM. Bench.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
jpmcleod

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 01:30:24 PM »

You can't resolve this via OBD at this point, since you can not enter a programming session anymore.
Need to reset it in EEPROM. Bench.

thanks for the reply. What is my cheapest and easiest way that i can resolve this? what tool/software will i need to get this done?
is it safe to say that even the VW dealer will not be able to fix this using their software/tools? is there any reason i am still able to use the obd for scanning? or am i just locked from reprogramming?
prj

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 01:31:54 PM »

You are just locked from programming, nobody can fix it over OBD.
If you already have PCMFlash, you can buy the scanmatik tool and do it with that.

The problem with pcmflash is that it does the full exploit bypass every time, so each time it flashes it increments the counter by 4 iirc.
Instead of doing an unlock and then only flashing the cal.

Log your car properly.
jpmcleod

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 01:49:57 PM »

ok, well that explains why i reached the limit that fast. If i was to buy the scanmatik tool. is that something easy to do or would it be possible for me to buy a different tool, read the ecu, have someone of here edit the counter and i reload on the car?
i think i saw earlier on the forum that someone did it with kess? is that possible?
prj

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 08:46:45 AM »

ok, well that explains why i reached the limit that fast. If i was to buy the scanmatik tool. is that something easy to do or would it be possible for me to buy a different tool, read the ecu, have someone of here edit the counter and i reload on the car?
i think i saw earlier on the forum that someone did it with kess? is that possible?
Once you have a flasher you can ask someone to reset the flash limit in the eeprom for you.
There is no magic reset button.

Pull ECU from car, read full dump (incl. the eeprom), send it to someone who knows what they are doing, flash EEPROM back to ECU and then you can OBD flash with PCMFlash another 25 times.
Or if someone really knows what they are doing they can build in a flash counter resetter that sets the counters to 0 the moment the ECU boots up.

Either way you are going to have to pony up.

Kess is an OBD tool. The bench tool is K-Tag. But then if you buy a china clone it probably won't do bench, only boot, so you will have to disassemble the ECU.

Log your car properly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: