Pages: [1]
Author Topic: finding address for emissions codewords (ESKONF) for AWP 1.8t  (Read 8843 times)
bs.

« on: August 14, 2015, 11:40:22 AM »

hi everyone,

i cringe for posting such a dumb question.... but after a dozen hours of research i am getting nowhere.

i have an 06A906032LQ ECU that i have successfully done an immo delete and reflashed with a 06A906032LP stock binary (obtained here, of course). 

does anyone know how to find the address for ESKONF for my ECU?  or any info regarding the assignment of bit pairs to hardware devices?

i eliminated the LDP and SAI systems from this engine when i installed it in my vanagon, and now i'd like to get rid of the associated fault codes.  from the reading that i've done here, it sounds like ESKONF is the code word that must be edited in order to eliminate open circuit diagnostics for the solenoids that are missing.  i have downloaded every KP, XDF, and OLS map that i can find, and none include ESKONF.  i have read that it should be located near the KFKHFM map, and there is good agreement among the maps packs i downloaded as to the address for KFKHFM, but my binary has nothing near this map that matches what i'd expect to see for ESKONF (7 bytes filled with 00 or 11 bit pairs).  everything near KFKHFM in my binary has lots of 01 bit pairs.

sorry for such a n00b question.... i feel like this should be straightforward, but i went through all 32 pages of the community 1.8t stage 1 thread as well as every single thread with the word ESKONF, and i'm still confused!

thanks for any info.

k0mpresd

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:51:45 AM »

its right where it should be. look harder or post original.
ddillenger

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 12:07:36 PM »

In 366194, ESKONF is 10C29

As you neglected to post your original, I can't be sure if that's the version you are using. As for the bit pairs, it's all in the wiki,

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
bs.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »

THANKS for the replies, guys!

my apologies for not including this with my original post:

so in this image, the highlighted data is my ESKONF = FF F8 30 0A 02 02 02
right?  i had expected it to be immediately adjacent to KFKHFM, which is highlighted in blue.

and this info from the S4 wiki is correct?  (i didn't see this covered in the nef wiki...)
    Byte 0= ZUE4 ZUE3 ZUE2 ZUE1
    Byte 1= NC NC NC NC
    Byte 2= EV4 EV3 EV2 EV1
    Byte 3= LSHHK EFLA LDR TEV
    Byte 4= BKV NC AAV MIL
    Byte 5= NC NC EKP SLP
    Byte 6= ULT UAGR SLV NWS

thanks so much to you two and all the other great contributors to this site.  the hours you've spent sharing knowledge are what has allowed me to get started in this hobby!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:59:55 PM by bs. » Logged

k0mpresd

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:40:48 PM »

you used daz's address, but your software version is not the same.
ddillenger

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »

Ian's right.

AA FF 00 30 FF F8 30

is ESKONF.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
bs.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »

thanks for the great info and fast replies!

i was going to ask how on earth you were able to pick that out, but assuming the bit definition table i posted from the S4 wiki is correct, it seems that the first few bytes for just about any configuration should be AA FF 00.

if anyone is still reading at this point, all i am trying to do is eliminate faults on an engine that has had all SAI and LDP hardware removed.  will the following changes accomplish this goal:
change ESKONF from this value:
AA FF 00 30 FF F8 30
to this value:
AA FF 00 30 FF FB 3C

zero out the following codewords: CDLDP, CLALDPE, CDSLS, CLASLVE, CLASLPE.  the addresses for these codewords were included in the OLS file that i downloaded here, so i have a bit more confidence in them.

here are these changes described in a bit more detail with fixed-width.

Code:

here's how the ESKONF bits break down.  original value is in the left column, new value is on the right with the binary value after the = sign and the definition for each bit pair listed at the end of the line.

old new
byte 0: AA  AA = 10 10 10 10    Coil        Coil        Coil          Coil
byte 1: FF  FF = 11 11 11 11    NC          NC          NC            NC
byte 2: 00  00 = 00 00 00 00    Injector    Injector    Injector      Injector
byte 3: 30  30 = 00 11 00 00    Rear02      ErrorLamp   N75       N80
byte 4: FF  FF = 11 11 11 11    BrakeBoost  NC          Shutoffvalve  MIL
byte 5: F8  FB = 11 11 10 11    NC          NC          fuelp pump    J299 SAI relay
byte 6: 30  3C = 00 11 11 00    N249 DV     EGRValveamp N112 SAI      VVT 

i also plan to zero out the following code words:

codeword  address  origVal  newVal
CDLDP   181A8         01      00
CLALDPE   107BB         03      00

CDSLS   181B0         01      00
CLASLVE   107D8         03      00
CLASLPE   107D5         03      00

ddillenger

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 07:51:33 PM »

Don't touch any CLAxxx.  It's error class hack bullshit.

Email/Google chat:

Email>PM
bs.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »

Don't touch any CLAxxx.  It's error class hack bullshit.

OK.  got it.  i haven't delved into the error class stuff yet, but my understanding is that you can mask out individual fault codes... i'd been thinking about this to get rid of the persistent faults that i have due to lack of instrument cluster, ABS, and airbag modules, but i'm not there yet.

for the SAI and LDP, i want to actually disable the diagnostic rather than masking out the resulting fault code.

so will it suffice to just zero out CDLDP and CDSLS?  i saw a mention in the s4 wiki of a CWKONABG, but i can't find that in my maps.

thanks!

k0mpresd

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:53:53 PM »

eskonf for open circuit. CD bytes to disable diagnosis.
bs.

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »

you guys are awesome!!

i'm setting up ME7Check right now so i can try this out.

bs.

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »

it took me a few hours to finish mocking up some heat shields in order to put my exhaust back in to fire up the engine and try this out.  all of my SAI faults were gone, but i still had:
17881 - EVAP Leak Detection Pump
            P1473 - 35-00 - Open Circuit

i looked back through the s4 wiki and realized that there is no ESKONF bit pair to disable circuit diagnostics for LDP.  i did a bit of research and found this thread in which P1473 is discussed.  it seems that some were able to eliminate the circuit diagnostics by setting codeword CDTES=0, so i tried this next (i already have CDLDP=0 in my binary).  it did not work.

so i took the cheesy hack way out and set CLALDPE=0.  i understand this is the "error class" method of masking out the fault, but i couldn't think of anything else to try and it sounds like others have been forced to resort to this as well.

for completeness, the addresses for these codewords in my binary are:
CLALDPE 0x107BB
CDTES 0x181B2

i'm not sure i saved any money with the hundred + hours that it took me to perform an immo delete, load the manual trans binary, and code out all the emissions stuff, but it was impossible to resist the temptation to learn this stuff myself once i saw how much info was contained in this forum.  and it's hard to put a $ value on the satisfaction of learning a new automotive skill.

thanks again for all of the help.  i really appreciate the fact that message boards such as this allow beginners like myself to benefit from the knowledge and experience of others.  now i need to finish heat shielding, get some miles on this thing, start logging some data and thinking about a bit of tuning!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: