Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "stage 2" S4 that came with some sort of file in it  (Read 4624 times)
B6T

« on: April 02, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »

A buddy recently purchased a "stage 2" S4 that came with some sort of file in it.  I downloaded it from his ECU and compared it to the stock M-box file.  This showed me what maps had to be changed.  So then I changed the same maps on my R-file BEL ECU and I just flashed it.  Cheating, I know, but homie works 60+hrs a week already and does some night courses on top of that and doesn't have time to get an online PhD in Motronic, so I did what any man who wants to go fast will do.

The tune spikes to 15psi and settles quickly at 10psi.  On the short drive I took the car seems to have perfect driveability and no codes.

I will log it in the next few days I hope (if I can figure that out).

The exact file I flashed to the car is attached below.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:22:50 PM by nyet » Logged
B6T

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 04:49:13 AM »

I haven't logged the car yet, but I know that I definitely missed something.  As I mentioned previously, the boost spikes to 15psi then quickly settles to 10psi, then slowly drops to 7psi.  In 3rd gear pulls where the engine is loaded for longer, it drops down to 5psi which I'm assuming is a soft limp mode since there is no CEL.

Time to read about the PID stuff I suppose.
ollieoxenfree

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »

I haven't logged the car yet, but I know that I definitely missed something.  As I mentioned previously, the boost spikes to 15psi then quickly settles to 10psi, then slowly drops to 7psi.  In 3rd gear pulls where the engine is loaded for longer, it drops down to 5psi which I'm assuming is a soft limp mode since there is no CEL.

Time to read about the PID stuff I suppose.

You really shouldn't copy-paste tunes like this from one car to another especially if you don't understand the changes in the file. Your buddy's stage 2 tune could be from someone like APR that encrypts their files and and use different addresses for the maps than a stock file so that people can't redistribute their flash as you are attempting to do. Not to mention, copying a commercial flash could be considered theft. Real options would be to:

Spend the time to learn how to tune it correctly
Pay someone else to tune it for you
Leave the car stock

Like everything in life, its not free. You are either gonna spend the cash to have it tuned or spend your time to tune it.

I use to wonder why they deleted the tuned files section but it makes perfect sense that not every yuppy with an audi should be able to just snag whatever file up and load it.  To easy to cause permanent damage to the car.

All that said, I work full time and managed to squeeze in the time to make a tuned file. Took me about a month(couple hours a night reading here and the wiki) to build a successful safe tune for my s4. Don't get in a big rush just take your time and take advantage of the great minds on this website where you do get stuck. You will be up and running in no time!!!
B6T

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 06:25:43 AM »

I don't think we should get into legalities on a forum where proprietary Bosch files and documentation are freely distributed.  This file belongs to my friend,  and me using his values as a starting point for my file are no different than someone downloading the stock flash and using that as their starting point.  I didn't advertise this as free distribution of some other companies tune.

I researched the maps I changed, and compared/analysed the changes in excel between stock M box,  tuned M box,  and stock R box before updating the map.  In fact there are other settings I changed which are working perfectly fine since I researched those changes prior to making them. So I didn't just copy and flash.

The difference between what I'm doing and what other people did is that I'm being honest about it and I wrote my previous post with a sense of humour.  Despite what I said I've been researching this stuff for a while and just wanted a starting point to get this community project fired up.
ddillenger

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »

I don't think we should get into legalities on a forum where proprietary Bosch files and documentation are freely distributed.  This file belongs to my friend,  and me using his values as a starting point for my file are no different than someone downloading the stock flash and using that as their starting point.  I didn't advertise this as free distribution of some other companies tune.

I researched the maps I changed, and compared/analysed the changes in excel between stock M box,  tuned M box,  and stock R box before updating the map.  In fact there are other settings I changed which are working perfectly fine since I researched those changes prior to making them. So I didn't just copy and flash.

The difference between what I'm doing and what other people did is that I'm being honest about it and I wrote my previous post with a sense of humour.  Despite what I said I've been researching this stuff for a while and just wanted a starting point to get this community project fired up.

The entire purpose of these community threads is to get people to think for themselves, make changes, see what happens. Cause and effect if you will. What you are doing is not that. I understand you looked at the file, and researched the changes, but that's putting the cart before the horse. That's exactly the kind of thing we're trying to avoid here. The file you copy and pasted-how do you know it was good? Are you logging it? Did you post the logs? It's very easy to make a car faster at the expense of longevity or reliability.

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
B6T

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 07:12:45 PM »

I took the tune out of the car.  I'm going to follow the normal approach when I have more time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:43:42 PM by B6T » Logged
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:22:35 PM »

Please do not thread crap.

Subthread split from community tune thread.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: