Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Which direction to take?: Coding my 4.2 ART for manual  (Read 32978 times)
ddillenger

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2016, 11:50:41 AM »

What version are you running? What file you want, and what do you need in it?

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
4loops

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 01:15:21 PM »

What version are you running? What file you want, and what do you need in it?

I think you were directing your question to hopsis?

But if you were asking me, I was just saying I could use a 560AE .xdf, or the .kp (converted to a .csv, as you suggest) you mentioned you had for the 560AE.

Any thoughts on what maps I should be looking at to get a 560AE file thinking there is only one swirl flap? -and configure it for an A6 intake configuration?
-Edit: I think I meant to ask how I would get the 559E file thinking there are two swirl flaps (A6 configuration).  -Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:00:29 AM by 4loops » Logged
4loops

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »

Any thoughts on what maps I should be looking at to get a 560AE file thinking there is only one swirl flap? -and configure it for an A6 intake configuration?

I'm thinking this must be possible: I have been following bhusted's thread on audizine, and I thought I saw you were able to help him out with the same scenario.
I even have the same (ART) engine, and donor (B5 1999.5, 01A trans) car...  I'd like to try and recreate the maps/bin as well, get it back functional, and learn something along the way..   Wink
ddillenger

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »

KFSU are the swirl flaps. However, as I stated, they work differently. To make the S6 file operate as an A6 you'd need code changes (Or I suppose use KFLUKL which operates the now defunct secondary flap solenoid).

Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience!

Email/Google chat:
DDillenger84(at)gmail(dot)com

Email>PM
hopsis

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 10:50:37 PM »

Don't want to clutter this thread any more, I'm using 559D atm but any 4.2 ME7.1 or 7.1.1 kp/xdf will do. I have most of the basic maps covered but codewords and Eskonf bits are a bitch to find, I've been reading and testing disassembly but it has proven to be even more challenging than I expected.
4loops

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 04:30:07 AM »

KFSU are the swirl flaps. However, as I stated, they work differently. To make the S6 file operate as an A6 you'd need code changes (Or I suppose use KFLUKL which operates the now defunct secondary flap solenoid).

Right.  I saw the KFSU and KFSU2 definitions in the 559E xdf.  But my thoughts exactly: how I would get the 559E file to behave as an A6 with it's swirl flap operation.  Also, KFLUKL is new to me.  I don't see that in the 559E xdf you gave me.  I tried searching for KFLUKL, too.  I don't see it in the S4 tuning wiki nor the ME7 tuning information section, nor in the whole site.

That's what I was wondering in post#9: if this would require a code change rather than just a map change.  Do we have any real ability to change the code, or is my only option really to play with maps?

I was thinking I could take the swirl flap #2 map from the A6 558S, and overwrite those values in the S6's (559E) secondary (airbox) flap map (KFSU2, if I'm correct).  Am I thinking right here?: That should make the S6 file's secondary flap (KFSU2) table want to move the #2  swirl flap appropriately, as opposed to moving the air box flap?  -Or is it just not that simple?

Another question:  I understand that the .xdf and .bin must match each other (the table of contents, and the pages), but can I place these 559E.xdf and 559E.bin into my 560AE ECU?  I've read that sometimes one can use different hardware, but it must be compatible.  Is the 560AE one of those compatible ECUs for the 559E file?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:32:55 AM by 4loops » Logged
4loops

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 01:19:46 PM »

Allright, I've taken to some WinOLS youtube training, to get a hang for how to compare bins.  I have compared the following three files:
  • The 559E S6 file from ddillenger
    The 560AE '01 A6 file from ddillenger
    The 558S '00 A6 file from turboegt

I have located each files' Flap 1 and Flap 2 map.  
For the A6 files of 560AE and 558S, I believe these are called KFSU (for intake flap 1) and KFSU2 (for intake flap 2)
For the S6 file of 559E, I believe these are called KFSU (for intake flap 1) and KFLUKL (for the air box flap)
-I suppose names don't really matter.  I've located the data in WinOLS and semantics really shouldn't matter for editing the data once it's found.

So this is what I want to do: Take the map and table from the 558S's intake flap 1 & 2, and overwrite those maps in the 559E's intake flap 1 & air box flap maps.  From my point of view, this should allow the S6 559E file's two flap maps behave like A6 558S/560AE flaps.

Please tell me I'm on the right track.  I feel like I am.

Here's an image that shows I've found the data and that the tables are all the same size.  I'm sure this should work:
A6-S6 Flap Maps Comparison
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:26:59 PM by 4loops » Logged
TwoToes

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »

Do you have any further progress on this?
I'm very interested in doing something very similar.
4loops

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 05:35:22 AM »

No more progress on this since my last post, but be assured I haven't dropped the subject!
For my 4.2 swap into the b5, I've been focusing on finishing the brakes, new lines for that, motor mount setup, radiator and clip, and intake swirl flap bushings... that and a new edition to the family has slowed me down a bit, but it's still going, and I will get back to this!

I'm going to try to compile everything I've learned and how-to's as best possible once I get this figured out.  I'm all about compiling knowledge to make it easier for the next guy!
TwoToes

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 09:00:08 AM »

Excellent news. Ill be working on this in my spare time as well.
Are you doing a full build/project on another forum?
4loops

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 09:18:35 AM »

Yea, full-on swap.  Taking a 4.2 ART from an '00 A6 (auto trans) and plopping it in my '99.5 a4 (5-spd man trans).
Here's the thread:
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/680171-Detailed-V8-Swap-B5-A4-4-2L

If you're doing the same thing, hopefully we can help eachother along in our understanding  Cool
TwoToes

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 11:32:22 AM »

Yeah. I intend to swap an ART into a 2001 B5 I bought just to put the V8 into.
I initially bought the car (2000 A6 4.2) to swap the engine into my B4 (1995 Audi 90) then after some research found it was WAY easier to put in a B5. Almost too easy. So I decided to go for it and found one with a 2.8 with a spent timing belt.
I've read your thread before, I was amazed at you flap bushing reproduction skills. Nice work.
4loops

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »

Wink
Thanks buddy.  None of that could've happened though unless I had a little CNC mill sitting beside me at work  Grin
I've setup my toolpaths to machine the other side of the bushing, just got to clamp the 1/2 done part back on the MIL and get to cutting.  Not a bunch of material to grab on to though, once the bottom half is machined.  Hopefully the bit doesn't come in too fast, grab the thing and pull it out of the vise, sending it flying across the shop  Undecided  I'm definitely green at the whole milling thing.

Once I have that all machined and I test it to fit right, I'll release the .stl and .vcp files for someone to hopefully mass produce and sell cheaply!

Great to hear someone else is doing this swap.  Glad you got the 2.8, you can reuse the subframe.  I'm curious to see if your engine will sit on the mounts and clear the subframe, or if you'll need to cut the subframe to fit.  I had to cut mine to clear the oil pan, others did too, but then some folks said they didn't have to.  I don't know how they didn't have to, unless their oil pan was shaped just right.. (maybe there were oil pan differences even on the ART engine?)  -but nonetheless, curious to see how you go about these things.

Got a thread I can browse through? -To see your progress?
TwoToes

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 05:33:53 PM »

Great to hear someone else is doing this swap.  Glad you got the 2.8, you can reuse the subframe.  I'm curious to see if your engine will sit on the mounts and clear the subframe, or if you'll need to cut the subframe to fit.  I had to cut mine to clear the oil pan, others did too, but then some folks said they didn't have to.  I don't know how they didn't have to, unless their oil pan was shaped just right.. (maybe there were oil pan differences even on the ART engine?)  -but nonetheless, curious to see how you go about these things.

Got a thread I can browse through? -To see your progress?
I didn't start a thread. I suppose I could but I feel like it might just annoy people having the same thing. I feel like yours is the last thread allowed before its concidered "beating a dead horse". I DO like how every thread that I read gives me a little more info that the last didn't though.
I read on one of them that the ground the bottom of the rear of the block that's no longer needed when bolting it to a manual trans and maybe that's why some clear and some don't.
So far I've just got the 4.2 pulled from the C5 and waiting on parts to put the timing back together.
I just remembered that I have questions to ask but I'll do that on your build thread so it will be more accessible to others in the future.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:51:27 PM by TwoToes » Logged
4loops

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 06:13:22 AM »

Well, I kind of thought the same thing before I started my thread.  So I thought I'd be as detailed as possible to add something to the whole b5 V8 swap scene.  By labeling my thread "Detailed" swap, I think I've really set the bar... Hopefully I'll deliver on this.

I wouldn't say yours would be beating a dead horse though.  If you show your experiences and if they differ from what I and others might have done I think it could just clarify on some points.  If anything it'd give you a place to ask your specific questions and get exact feedback.. It's totally up to you though  Cool

Good luck on the build!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: