Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Manually encoding cluster since VCDS didn't work  (Read 3948 times)
ianpgonzaga

« on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:34 AM »

Hope someone can help me here...

I've managed to stuff a cluster up due to changing a couple of the LED's... basically it died, i can't read off it so it's a tad useless.

i did however read the original ECU's eeprom and have been able to pull a replacement cluster's dump.

following the pattern in this post

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6161.15 by automan001

... i THINK i've got the locations that i need to change on the replacement clusters coding. i've already changed the VIN, SKC, and IMMO ID. on scanning with VCDS the information in 17-instruments matches what 01-engine information says.
scanning block 023 in the 4th value i have a 6 so that's telling me the ecu is matched to cluster.

i'm having trouble immo matching my old key (of which i only have one)

i followed the procedure and have managed to zero out my old value of 4 keys. i'm now stuck because i try to re-code this key that was functioning fine but i go to save the new value of 1 and the immo light goes solid for about a second and then blinks faster than usual. to make the blinking go "slower" i need to test value 21 at 0 and save the new key value at 0 resulting in regular immo light blink speed.
what else can i try?

can someone please clarify that the information i've highlighted is the immobiliser key matching information?

do i also need to change the transponder key info (cuz i don't know how i will be able to without being able to read my old cluster)Huh

i've got new transponder coming in a couple weeks... hopefully they help in this process ...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:41:38 PM by ianpgonzaga » Logged
ianpgonzaga

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:35:53 AM »

just want to update this for future reference

i needed to get the car back on the road otherwise no work = i'm a sad boy!

bit the bullet the other morning and my suspicions were correct!!!!

everything i had already changed was fine. put in the 7 bytes that are after the SKC from the ECU eeprom into the cluster data where i've put "immo key?".
flashed the file over
car off... wait a bit...

then i proceeded with the regular VCDS method to match the key to the immo. this time around the immo light flashed solid for a second - and DISAPPEARED!

we're in the money!

car off... wait a bit.... car on... immo still active!?

wtf! LOL

so i turned off again, key out, waited a bit longer than the first time.... gave the key another twist and car fired up and stayed running!

*massive sigh of relief and   Grin  *

what confused me the most was all other information on the forum had the locations of the information at different locations (i'm guessing because of the type of ECU). just needed to scour the data to find the patterns... and there we go!

hope someone finds this helpful in the future.
vwmaniac

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »

Whenever I flash the cluster file, I either pull the fuse and reboot or straight up disconnect it, and based off the key programming protocol after the light goes out you must remove key and insert and turn ignition on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: