Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ME7 Logger - Always dies ERROR -8 after a few samples.  (Read 22565 times)
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« on: September 25, 2011, 10:27:45 AM »

I am not able to log sucessfully. Connects OK but always fails after a few samples with error -8.

I have tried reducing baud rate, reducing sample rate and adjusting FTDI latencies with some effect but still unusable.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Shell output of three different attempts attached.
setzi62

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »

All logs show that the ecu stops communication completely at a random
point in time and nothing is received anymore from the ecu.
I faced exactly the same behaviour with my configuration!
The problem will be less often happening when the packets sent by the ecu are smaller
(i.e. log only few variables) and the sample rate is HIGH enough so that there are not
many idle times on the K-line. Obviously this all is not a useable workaround for logging.

I got just around this problem after installing a switch that allows me to disconnect all other
devices except the ecu from the K-line. If there is only the ECU connected to the logger,
it works perfectly. Up to now I don't know which device is disturbing the K-line.
Would need a  log of the interface when this problem happens (using a logic analyzer)
to find out more.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:22:30 AM »

Cheers Setzi,

I have a logic analyser here. Should I log the K-Line during on of these attempts?
setzi62

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 07:29:58 AM »

Would be really great, if you have the possibility to hook on a LA to the K-line
in addition to the tester. At least a log should give a starting point for further
analysis what happens on the line.
You could keep the comm speed of the logger at 10400 and (as far as the
capacity of the LA allows) log the communication until you see a timeout.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »

Right. I'll see what I can do.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 01:07:02 AM »

No joy. For some reason my Saleae logic is forcing my laptop USB ports to operate in low speed mode stopping we sample anywhere near fast enough. I've tried fannying around with drivers but ran out of time.

I can log fine with my desktop, but obviously with the ECU removed the error 8 problem is gone anyway.

This will have to wait until I can get another laptop.
setzi62

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:55:15 AM »

Thanks for your efforts, really nice you spent your time trying to run the LA.
NOTORIOUS VR
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »

No joy. For some reason my Saleae logic is forcing my laptop USB ports to operate in low speed mode stopping we sample anywhere near fast enough. I've tried fannying around with drivers but ran out of time.

I can log fine with my desktop, but obviously with the ECU removed the error 8 problem is gone anyway.

This will have to wait until I can get another laptop.

Is it possible you have a HDD suspend/protection feature (from shock/g-force) on your laptop?  That gave me huge troubles with ECUx until I remembered to disable it.

SCHNELL ENGINEERING BLOG ·  STANDALONE ECUS · TUNING · DYNO · WIRING · PARTS · VEMS
Google Talk: NOTORIOUS.VR
n00bs start here: http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tuning
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »

I dont think that's my problem but it won't hurt to have a look, cheers.
kenmac

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 07:58:58 AM »

For the record, I am plagued by the same ERROR -8 issues when enabling different variables.  Whether or not this is a result of "too many" variables (ie. too much data) is something I have not tested yet.  To me it always seemed that there was a handful of usual suspects so to speak, so that when I enable them, the error always happens.  I will attempt to isolate some of the variables that I considered a usual suspect into a single config consisting of only a handful of variables to test whether or not this is a K-line throughput issue.
Tony@NefMoto
Administrator

2001.5 Audi S4 Stage 3

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 12:33:37 PM »

A lot of work went into solving the issue of getting no response from the ECU in the NefMoto flashing software.

In my experience, many different situations can cause the ECU to not correctly receive or respond to a request. All you can do is try to make the logging software recover when something goes wrong.

Remember you have to log in if you want to see the file attachments!
Info or questions, please add to the wiki: http://www.nefariousmotorsports.com/wiki
Follow NefMoto developments on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nefmoto
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 06:42:35 AM »

For the record, I am plagued by the same ERROR -8 issues when enabling different variables.  Whether or not this is a result of "too many" variables (ie. too much data) is something I have not tested yet.  To me it always seemed that there was a handful of usual suspects so to speak, so that when I enable them, the error always happens.  I will attempt to isolate some of the variables that I considered a usual suspect into a single config consisting of only a handful of variables to test whether or not this is a K-line throughput issue.

This is interesting. I'll try a minimal variable set and see if it makes a difference.
setzi62

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:04:31 AM »

A lot of work went into solving the issue of getting no response from the ECU in the NefMoto flashing software.

In my experience, many different situations can cause the ECU to not correctly receive or respond to a request. All you can do is try to make the logging software recover when something goes wrong.

Yes, I believe the error recovery must have been really a lot of work.

For the logging, there is not much recovery support during the setup phase -
if the ecu would not respond correctly to a message, the startup would fail.

But once the logging is running, it can recover from errors which are "recoverable":
the logger sends a log request and expects an answer message from the ecu.
If the ecu sends an incorrect answer or does not answer at all, the logger will
give a short pause time (about 55ms), clear all input buffers and then send
again a request. Only after a certain amount of repeated requests with no further data
received the logger will give up.

I think what Carlossus is facing (and what I faced in my setup initially) is that the ecu just stops
talking "forever", and the only recovery here would be to restart the complete communication.
An automatic reconnect feature could do that, but I prefer seeing a stopped logging session
over a log with a hole in it lasting several seconds.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 01:30:39 AM »

Interestingly EcuX logs just fine, but the available variables are pretty inadequate.

I'm interested to see how Tony's logger performs.
setzi62

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »

Hey, that is fine. Would you be able to produce a serial port log of such a logging session?
Argdub produced such a log some time ago, but I don't know which program he used
to do that. Probably some kind of comport logger ...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: