Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: ME7 Logger - Always dies ERROR -8 after a few samples.  (Read 22570 times)
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »

I'll see what I can do. Logging only works properly when 'Port' is set to 'USB' rather than a real COM port number that reflects the Virtual com port. 'Baud' is set to '125000' and 'connection method' is 'accurate'.

Time is sparse though as I have a newborn human to maintain Smiley

setzi62

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »

I'll see what I can do. Logging only works properly when 'Port' is set to 'USB' rather than a real COM port number that reflects the Virtual com port. 'Baud' is set to '125000' and 'connection method' is 'accurate'.

Time is sparse though as I have a newborn human to maintain Smiley

Congratulations Carl! Don't spend your time on sitting in the car & taking logs Wink.
kenmac

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »

I found that if my logged "data size" is over 40 bytes, the ERROR -8 eventually appears within 10 seconds of logging.

Currently I'm logging fine with:
   "Logged data size is 36 bytes."

[Communication]
Connect      = SLOW-0x11
Communicate  = HM0
LogSpeed     = 56000
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »

So,

Somehow got a nasty rootkit on my machine while messing about with various serial spy software. That wrote of Friday. Abandoned that idea Cheesy

I managed to beg another laptop at work to try to get some LA logs of the timeout event. As is the way of these things, it is now logging flawlessly (so far).

Because I am away from home I  re-downloaded ME7Logger, my ORI and regenerated the .ecu and template files. Installed FTDI VCP driver from scratch on a pretty much clean XP machine.

The only other difference is that this time I used the template generated from my own ORI, before I
was using the basic 4 cylinder template.

Logging about 24 variables at 20Hz seems fine. I'll push these up a bit and see how we go. Also, attempt to copy the configuration on my own laptop and see if it still works.

EDIT:
My joy was premature. Added another 6 or so variables and now it is as it was before, timeout after  only a few samples. Oh well at least I can recreate both situations for the logic analyser.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:06:41 AM by carlossus » Logged
setzi62

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »

This is exactly what I said already about this problem:
The problem will be less often happening when the packets sent by the ecu are smaller
(i.e. log only few variables) and the sample rate is HIGH enough so that there are not
many idle times on the K-line. Obviously this all is not a useable workaround for logging.

The problem is, most probably in your car the instrument cluster acts as a gateway
and blocks some kind of communication. It seems to me the "Gateway" checks somehow
for "KWP1285 compliant" traffic, getting confused by KWP2000 traffic.

If you want to analyze with a LA, you should connect it once together with the logger to
the diagnostic connector and then connect for comparison directly to the ECU's K-line wire.
I would bet what you will see is:
in the first case you just see no more messages from ecu side when the timeout happens.
in the second case you see the ecu still sends response messages (not appearing at
the diagnostic connector, blocked by the gateway).

You can verify this theory by two ways:
1. Turn on ignition, then turn off ignition. The ecu still is running for several minutes.
   Now connect the logger and log big packets -> this will work fine, since the "gateway" is
   switched off.
2. Connect the logger immediately at the ecu's K-line wire -> the logging works perfectly
   even for the biggest data frames, since the "gateway" is no longer in the way.
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 06:17:39 AM »

You can verify this theory by two ways:
1. Turn on ignition, then turn off ignition. The ecu still is running for several minutes.
   Now connect the logger and log big packets -> this will work fine, since the "gateway" is
   switched off.
2. Connect the logger immediately at the ecu's K-line wire -> the logging works perfectly
   even for the biggest data frames, since the "gateway" is no longer in the way.

I have verified that this is indeed the behaviour of my system.

I really can't face pulling out the ECU so I am going to live with this. Setzi, If there is still any value for me to sample the K-line during a timeout then I will, but I can't get to the ECU side of the bus without some problems.

It also occured to me that in my case ECUx logs relatively few variables, probably few enough to be around 30 byte packets which seems to work fine with ME7L too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:20:24 AM by carlossus » Logged
setzi62

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 04:24:58 AM »

I don't think a sample log of the K-line will provide more insight now,
it will most probably just show that the cluster is "disturbing".
Yes, getting to the ecu cables is lots of work. Easiest place
to access the cables might be below the steering wheel, above the pedals.

Hopefully there might be a way to tell the gateway to "shut up and pass
all data".
Zac

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »

I got a reduction in timeout errors by switching to the fastest baud in the ECU definition file and logging fewer variables. I'll still occasionally get timeout errors if I try to log too many variables at the same time. But it'll still log long enough to get data for a single run. Timeout again? Hit the up arrow then enter in the command line to start it back up with minimal fuss.

If you're trying to log tons of variables I've had great success with pulling fuse 11 (instrument cluster) on my MKIV GTI. Of course nothing will display on your instrument cluster so be careful! Also don't do this if you don't have VCDS or some other way to clear the airbag controller's "no ecu communications" code. I generated a 30MB log file testing this on a late night drive.

Thank you setzi - This application is amazing. You are a very talented programmer!
TTQS
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 04:38:41 PM »

I couldn't even connect with my genuine Ross Tech interface (with boot in intelligent mode unchecked) with port set to USB, so thinking that might be the problem, I have ordered a dumb eBay 409.1 KKL cable. I downloaded FTDI Virtual COM port drivers just in case.

I had prepared a 127 variable sub-set with a plan to log at 5 samples a second but seeing this thread leaves me strongly discouraged that I can get this superb piece of software working at all.  Cry

TTQS
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 04:02:02 AM by TTQS » Logged
carlossus

Leon Curpa Stg1+

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »

No, on the contrary. This thread shows a workaround for the worst case. A workaround that still provides a solution you can't achieve by other means.

Your FTDI cable + drivers will work 1st time I'll bet. Don't fanny around with low sample rates, the real value is at 20+Hz in my opinion.
TTQS
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »

No, on the contrary. This thread shows a workaround for the worst case. A workaround that still provides a solution you can't achieve by other means.

Your FTDI cable + drivers will work 1st time I'll bet. Don't fanny around with low sample rates, the real value is at 20+Hz in my opinion.

O.k., thanks for the encouragement. If it works, it will be tremendously exciting to get into all those parameters at such high data volumes.
Thanks.

TTQS
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:32:52 AM by TTQS » Logged
TTQS
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »

Received the cable today and sure enough it worked first time with my 127 variable template. I experienced a few disconnections but after a successful continuous logging session over maybe five minutes, I figured this was because the cable was coming adrift either at the OBDII port or the USB port because it's only just long enough to stretch across the footwell to the passenger seat. I'll post up the log on carlossus's statistical load bearing dyno thread later on.

Thanks for your advice guys.

TTQS
rme

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

I'm also having a problem with connection. The car is Audi S4 with 8D0907551D.

The program works fine when ignition is off but right away when I turn the ignition on the connection gets lost. I also tried to connect when the engine was already running: no connection at all.

I think that the number of logging variables doesn't affect because I couldn't maintain the connection even with only one variable.

I'm using VAG KKL USB cable and have installed the FTDI VCP driver.

What should I try next?
kenmac

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2012, 10:32:06 PM »

What should I try next?

Try pulling the fuse for your cluster to see if it makes any difference while ignition is on.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: