Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Question about Moates RoadRunner emulator.  (Read 37303 times)
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 03:34:57 AM »

Here's a link from the efilive forum

https://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?9821-RoadRunner-guts-kit/page12

There they discuss about the absence of the RR gut-kit.
Moates seems to stopped selling the prefabbed ls1 ECU with already built-in RR because it was kinda unstable, and now because parts supply problems.
I think I also read about RR being a bit buggy and unstable when you real-time tuning, as littco described.

Audi A4 Avant 1.8t Quattro -2001 (AWT)
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 03:52:20 AM »

Nyet, that seems like a cool replacement for the RR if someone could get it all to work and so on.
Littco, so it was only a certain version of tunerpro that worked with 16bit emulation? I thought all of the recent versions had the support for it?

Could something like this work on ME7 ECUs?
 http://shop.fekzen.se/product.php?id_product=165

I'm curious so I'm gonna send a mail and ask them a few questions. They are Swedes like me.
It seems the flash chip is replaced for a chip with a USB-port so you can connect and communicate with the flash-chip directly and live.

But the Me7 ECU is more advanced than the Volvo 850 turbo ECU (m4.4)
And the BMW m50 ECUs (ms4.1) that the live-chip supports.

Terror_Flynn

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »

Read some more on the net. Seems Moates stopped RR because components on the board made the RR unstable.

Another thing I thought about, on Nissan ECUs they use 2 ostrich 2.0 emulators and some clever PCB board so they can connect and emulate 16-bit Nissan ECUs. Is that possible for me7 ECUs too?

bofh

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »

sad to hear they stopped selling the roadrunner.

I own a roadrunner and used it on many cars so far (mostly m 3.8.3, but also me7).
yes, it has some problems; but it is definitively very handy.

and btw: some say ols300 can cause problems on me7 too
prj

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »

Absolutely nothing unstable on roadrunner, I don't know where this comes from.
I never had an ECU crash because of it.

OLS300 has issues when you don't disable checksums in the ECU. Same as the roadrunner. If you disable checksums there are no problems.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »

Absolutely nothing unstable on roadrunner, I don't know where this comes from.

Using WinOLS, your bridge program, and emutility, it resets (engine dies) every 3-4 changes. Using TunerproRT no problems. Still trying to figure it out. You're (prj) using firmware ver 12.14, and I'm using ver 12.15, so there's that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:46:24 PM by vwaudiguy » Logged

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 05:34:46 PM »

Absolutely nothing unstable on roadrunner

I gave up on mine.

One problem after another, HW issues.

Something went wrong with either their last batch, or their final revision of the board.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 12:58:22 AM »

Maybe - I've had no issues whatsoever.
Sometimes out of the blue, every 100 changes or so it will stall.
Also, when rapidly cycling ignition, the ECU does not always boot the first time, but ALWAYS boots the 2nd time you cycle ignition.

Do you have all checksums turned off though? There is a patch that needs to be done, and the EEPROM modified to turn it all off.

Log your car properly.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 10:01:06 AM »

Also, when rapidly cycling ignition, the ECU does not always boot the first time, but ALWAYS boots the 2nd time you cycle ignition.

Do you have all checksums turned off though? There is a patch that needs to be done, and the EEPROM modified to turn it all off.

It won't even load any more via their software.

The last time I had it loading, when I did a read via bootmode, a ton of the bits were stuck low.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
prj

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 02:18:36 PM »

Well that is definitely an issue.
Mine reads just fine in boot. Always has. You probably have a defective unit or something, or the cable is damaged.

Log your car properly.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 02:22:19 PM »

Well that is definitely an issue.
Mine reads just fine in boot. Always has. You probably have a defective unit or something, or the cable is damaged.

The large ic in the middle of the board was bad. It would load/boot until the voltage regulator got hot. If you looked closely, you could see a small area in the middle that looked melted. The IC has been replaced, unit works fine now. Well with TPRT it does. Smiley  prj is the only person I know that has it working mostly issue free using WinOLS. prj, are you using emutility to upload to the emulator?

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
Terror_Flynn

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 03:54:08 PM »

So that ic could be why moates stopped selling RR?

Tunerpro supports 2 x ostrich to emulate 16-bit ECUs. Can it be done on a ME7 ecu?

bofh

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »

how do you workaround that the ecu does not boot?
I have a me 7.5 an my desk with connected roadrunner. I reads fine in bootmode but ecu does not boot. not one successfull boot in 50 attempts.

I have this boot issue randomly on a me 7.1.1 too. but the me 7.1.1 boots the 2nd time; the me7.5 never though boot mode reads are fine?
vwaudiguy

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 09:25:51 PM »

how do you workaround that the ecu does not boot?
I have a me 7.5 an my desk with connected roadrunner. I reads fine in bootmode but ecu does not boot. not one successfull boot in 50 attempts.

I have this boot issue randomly on a me 7.1.1 too. but the me 7.1.1 boots the 2nd time; the me7.5 never though boot mode reads are fine?

If it's on the bench, make sure you power pin 121. I have a bench harness that works great with every ecu, but it only uses the large plug. Could not get the RR to boot. Ever. Spent a lot of time trying different things. Powering 121 made it finally mostly work.

DT

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2016, 05:06:48 AM »

I've had RR in my daily drive for a couple of years now and I removed all checksum checks and also modified/decreased TNLSGM  from a couple of hours to 10seconds.
Even though I did not find all my notes I'm 99% sure that TNLSGM was my solution. Numerous hours spent to find the solution.
I've ran 10sec for a long time now. 2sec was to short, the ecu needs more time to finish the shutdown procedure, like write eeprom and such.

This gives a clean startup every time you enter your car and turn key. And close to 100% boot consistency.
Since I didn't find all notes I don't remember what implications could follow, you will never run in nachlauf again and it probably affects milage during startup.

prj, I think this could cure your boot problem too.

TNLSGM
Delay time for ECU shut-off

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: