Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Author Topic: LTFT issus  (Read 53111 times)
birchbark506

« on: July 24, 2016, 07:19:51 AM »

i am on stock file and stock intake i have replace dv cam follower hpfp fuel filter MAF check for intake leaks by smoke test i will be replacing the intake pump once the new locker ring comes in or the g247 fuel sensor
birchbark506

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:33:12 PM »

Get error code p2177
ktm733

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 03:43:07 PM »

Go over the basics of how the pcv system works. Then think about what happens when you go from a vaccum to positive pressure.
birchbark506

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 07:43:12 PM »

I did a smoke test it passed and when pressured up the front pcv closes but can hear a light bleeding of air around the turbo some where.
ktm733

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »

You're heading in the right direction.
birchbark506

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:08:15 PM »

What would bleed off air around turbo I also have a gfb+ dv but I do have ltft with stock file and stock intake, only thing I haven't replaced was the g247

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »

What would bleed off air around turbo I also have a gfb+ dv but I do have ltft with stock file and stock intake, only thing I haven't replaced was the g247

You most likely have a rear main seal leak . The 2.0T was made to have a lot of vacuum in the crankcase but the engineers did not think about the front and rear main seals. I have seen many rear seals become badly worn because of to much vacuum in the crankcase . the engine in the past would use 0.2 - 1.5 of vacuum in the crankcase but VAG thought it would be a GREAT idea to up the vacuum to 2.5 - 5.0 vacuum on some engines . 2.5 - 5.0 is WAY TOO MUCH.

My point is the rear main seal is most likely the problem because VAG uses too much vacuum in the crankcase .

Lee

Poor quality lingers long after the price is forgotten ....
ktm733

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »

If this is true I'm going to need a couple beers. How do you diagnose this? I smoke tested the car. No oil leaks either.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 07:09:49 AM »

If this is true I'm going to need a couple beers. How do you diagnose this? I smoke tested the car. No oil leaks either.

As for oil leaks from the rear main seal most of the time it does not leak oil but it will allow air to be sucked in due to the PCV system applying vacuum to the crankcase .  The PCV system is a bullshit design with too much vacuum going to the crankcase . I hate idiot engineers .

With that said you need a few thing to diag the rear main seal .1. you need a computer or scanner that can read live fuel trims when the engine is running . 2, You need a can of parts cleaner or a can of brake cleaner .   Now jack up the car and start it . Hook you the computer / scanner and find the " STFT " or front O2 live readings . After all that you will watch closely the STFT  while you spray the can of parts / brake cleaner between the transmission and engine or in one of the inspection holes on the transmission. You will need to spray for a minimum of 3 -4 seconds for you to see a reading on the computer / scanner .   If the rear main seal is leaking you will see the STFT start to read ( -10 to -28 ) . That indicated you rear main seal is bad .

NOTE : almost every 2.0T rear main seal starts to suck in air around 50,000 mile and gets worse as time goes by .

Lee

gman86

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 07:21:17 AM »

As for oil leaks from the rear main seal most of the time it does not leak oil but it will allow air to be sucked in due to the PCV system applying vacuum to the crankcase .  The PCV system is a bullshit design with too much vacuum going to the crankcase . I hate idiot engineers .

With that said you need a few thing to diag the rear main seal .1. you need a computer or scanner that can read live fuel trims when the engine is running . 2, You need a can of parts cleaner or a can of brake cleaner .   Now jack up the car and start it . Hook you the computer / scanner and find the " STFT " or front O2 live readings . After all that you will watch closely the STFT  while you spray the can of parts / brake cleaner between the transmission and engine or in one of the inspection holes on the transmission. You will need to spray for a minimum of 3 -4 seconds for you to see a reading on the computer / scanner .   If the rear main seal is leaking you will see the STFT start to read ( -10 to -28 ) . That indicated you rear main seal is bad .

NOTE : almost every 2.0T rear main seal starts to suck in air around 50,000 mile and gets worse as time goes by .

Lee

News to me, and I've worked on a lot of high powered TFSI engines. If that's the case, then on crankcase pressure, it'd be spewing oil out via said seal.
ktm733

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:19 AM »

what can i log to further diagnose this?

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 10:13:30 AM »

what can i log to further diagnose this?

I have replaced 2 rear mian seals this year but last years my shop had replaced over 10  of them . The local dealership in Danvers Ma ( Ira Audi ) replaces 1-2 per week . I am suprised you have never heard of this problem because it is a common problem with all 2.0T engine platforms .

Lee

ktm733

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 10:31:57 AM »

I have no oil leak though, also this is known on the tsi engines. My engine is a bpy fsi engine.
SB_GLI

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »

Lee

Lee, this is excellent information.  Thank you for sharing.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 01:53:39 PM »

I have no oil leak though, also this is known on the tsi engines. My engine is a bpy fsi engine.

KTM733 , most of the times the rear main seal will not leak oil but it will allow the engine to suck in vacuum through it . This problem is on all 2.0T engines from 2008 to 2015 . The 20016 1.8T engine are having the same rear main seal problem as well .

Lee

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: