Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Looking for a quick confirmation of my suspicions...  (Read 6693 times)
jibberjive

« on: October 27, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »

So I switched cars with my sister's new allroad (01' tip, allroad k-box) to tune out her secondary O2's and EGT's, and ran into some issues an hour away from where she lives.

So I flashed an untouched (by me) AA-box tip S4 file, and the car ran fine. Then I tuned out the O2's and EGT's without correcting the checksums (this is my first foray into actually changing values in ME7, and I thought that I wouldn't need to correct the checksums for these simple 1 to 0 changes). The modified file flashed completely, and then the car wouldn't start (it would crank with no start). When I tried to connect via NefMoto to flash a working file back on, I couldn't even get nefmoto to connect ("slow init failed"). I tried every setting on NefMoto (fast/slow init, different bauds, even tried adjusting the settings on my com-port).  I then ran the files through ME7checker (should have done this beforehand), and the files that ran fine had no checksum errors, and the one that won't even connect had 6 checksum errors.

I don't have NefMoto logs on this computer, but it doesn't even get past connection ("slow init failed").

I unplugged the ECU for a few minutes and tried again, no go. Disconnected the battery for 10+ mins, no go. Pulled instrument cluster fuses, no go. Battery voltage was good (13+ volts, always connected to a charger into the wall). I've done everything that I've heard of, and no bueno.

I did a bunch of research, and it seems like my only/best option from here is to get a Galletto cable, get into boot mode and flash a working file.  Then flash it with NefMoto again to get rid of the checksum error.

Is that what I should do, or is there anything else I can try, so that I might be able to have a means of transportation before the Galletto cable gets shipped here?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:26:46 PM by jibberjive » Logged
phila_dot

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »

Sounds like your stuck until the galletto cable gets there. Build a bench harness while your waiting.
jibberjive

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »

I need to dig more into the Galletto stuff in the meantime, but I don't "need" a bench harness/power supply/etc., right?  I can do it in the car over OBDII with 2 people, yeah?
Gonzo

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 08:02:22 PM »

Ive had a checksum issue on my 12v and I was at home away from my tools and had to drive back to the shop to fix them. I just left ignition on and started pulling fuses (the ones that power the ECU) and putting them back on until the CEL came on. Started just fine and drove back to the shop  Smiley

I would just suggest that you leave ignition on and fiddle with the battery terminal (taking it off and putting it back on several times) until the CEL comes on. If you can get it to come on, you can get a flash it Wink
jibberjive

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:14:54 PM »

Thanks for the ideas.  I read when you said this in a different thread, when I looked in the manual at the fuse locations, I didn't see anything that was ECU specific. You remember fuse #'s by chance?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:27:35 PM by jibberjive » Logged
phila_dot

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »

I need to dig more into the Galletto stuff in the meantime, but I don't "need" a bench harness/power supply/etc., right?  I can do it in the car over OBDII with 2 people, yeah?

Yeah, in car is fine.
jibberjive

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 08:26:21 PM »

Yeah, in car is fine.
Word to your grandmother.
Gonzo

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »

Thanks for the ideas.  I read when you said this in a different thread, when I looked in the manual at the fuse locations, I didn't see anything that was ECU specific. You remember fuse #'s by chance?
I have a VW MK4 so the fuse #'s won't work for you.

Do it like I told you and you might be able to recover it. Several people have had success with my method.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: