Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: audi a8 4.2 bfm ME7.1.1 custom mapping  (Read 41174 times)
cookie44

« on: August 11, 2016, 04:38:51 PM »

hi all, im relatively new to the whole custom mapping so please bear with!

i have an audi a8 2003 4.2 with an ME7.1.1 ecu 4e0.
i cant get the map off of my car yet, but i have a copy of one from the same vehicle to tinker with.

the software that i have is the nefmoto flasher, tunerpro, winols and an ecu grapher and some checksum corrector. ive also done a lot of reading in the s4 forums as they have the same ecu and read the s4 tuning wiki.

my problem is, is that ive run my audi.ori in winols and it states that there are 89 potential maps. great!... what do i do now!? i may also note that i do not have a damos file, xdf or a2l for the ecu. does anyone have any of these? once i do, what do i do after? how do i link the xdf / damos file to the map? basically, what can i expect?

thanks for any help

C
k0mpresd

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »

89 maps out of probably around 5k. its a start!
nubcake

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 04:55:40 PM »

basically, what can i expect?

Unfortunately, not much.
There's very little (if anything) to be gained by tuning NA car. Sad

As far as damos/xdf files - you can start by opening a known documented binary, then try to find patterns and find similar maps in your bin.
cookie44

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:02:58 PM »

ha thanks guys, i know there isnt much to gain from the engine, but my main outcome was fuel efficiency.

im not really sure where i would find a documented bin file and how would i know if it was well documented?

C
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »

ha thanks guys, i know there isnt much to gain from the engine, but my main outcome was fuel efficiency.

that isn't happening either. why would audi leave any MPG on the table?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
cookie44

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »

good question... that one i do not now the answer to but, i thought i could give it a go, for example, dropping idle rpms on hot and cold starts, incrementally lower the amount of fuel used when driving (injector timing / fueling) or even cylinders used on idle e.g run 6 on idle 8 when in motion.
i would love to learn exvertything of everything to do with my ecu so i can change and make my own maps, do as i please without messing it up!!

but first i need to find a decent xdf to use on the bin i have

C
cookie44

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »

this is the bin file i have. this was taken from an a8 4.2 auto... which was taken by a user of this site. this is the bin id like to play with.

c
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 06:47:54 PM by cookie44 » Logged
prj

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 06:48:34 AM »

good question... that one i do not now the answer to but, i thought i could give it a go, for example, dropping idle rpms on hot and cold starts, incrementally lower the amount of fuel used when driving (injector timing / fueling) or even cylinders used on idle e.g run 6 on idle 8 when in motion.

You have a lot of reading to do about engines, before touching the ECU.
The things you have written show that you do not have a clue about internal combustion engines.

It is extremely naive of you to think you would do a better job at fuel efficiency than the engineers at the factory.
Before dabbling with the ECU pick up a book or two about ICE internals and processes - you will then understand why what you wrote is complete bs.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
hopsis

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 12:27:06 AM »

All the more experienced people here will tell You that it's pointless to fiddle with a NA engine, especially with one that is relatively good from the factory, as there isn't much room left for tuning (for power). With NA engine pretty much all the improvements are made with ignition advance and rpm. Factory makes the engine so that You can run it to redline all day. If you're willing to ignore these safeguards and add some advance, maybe raise the redline, You can get something out of it. Realistic goals are maybe 10% over stock and even that might be reaching it.

The A8 is a very nice car to have and the 4.2 engine is a very nice motor to put in such a car. It won't be as powerful as a 2.7T but as a luxury sedans engine, the 4.2 is supreme.

As for dropping cylinder's for fuel economy... Impossible. You'd need a totally different cam/valve control.
cookie44

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 02:07:33 PM »

You have a lot of reading to do about engines, before touching the ECU.
The things you have written show that you do not have a clue about internal combustion engines.

It is extremely naive of you to think you would do a better job at fuel efficiency than the engineers at the factory.
Before dabbling with the ECU pick up a book or two about ICE internals and processes - you will then understand why what you wrote is complete bs.

And who the fuck are you? Actually I'm a vehicle technician and have been for the last 7 years. I'm also a university honours graduate in computing I'm very qualified to say what I've said. Unless you can prove to my why I can't do what I want with an ecu then shut up. Your post was inaccurate and irrelevant to the convo.
I never said I was better than the engineers, I'm not too fussed about power loss or how fast it goes, I just want it to be slightly more economical. If you cannot assist in this debate, please see youself out as I don't have time for idiots like you that don't know my background  Cool
nubcake

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 02:09:10 PM »

And who the fuck are you?
<snip>
please see youself out as I don't have time for idiots like you that don't know my background  Cool

I chuckled.
cookie44

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 02:15:01 PM »

All the more experienced people here will tell You that it's pointless to fiddle with a NA engine, especially with one that is relatively good from the factory, as there isn't much room left for tuning (for power). With NA engine pretty much all the improvements are made with ignition advance and rpm. Factory makes the engine so that You can run it to redline all day. If you're willing to ignore these safeguards and add some advance, maybe raise the redline, You can get something out of it. Realistic goals are maybe 10% over stock and even that might be reaching it.

The A8 is a very nice car to have and the 4.2 engine is a very nice motor to put in such a car. It won't be as powerful as a 2.7T but as a luxury sedans engine, the 4.2 is supreme.

As for dropping cylinder's for fuel economy... Impossible. You'd need a totally different cam/valve control.

Thank you, a relevant statement. I know with it being na it hasn't got much potential other than fitting a supercgarger, which I may as well have got the s8 instead. But it's not the power I'm looking for. I don't mind losing a few hp for extra few mpg
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 02:26:04 PM »

I don't mind losing a few hp for extra few mpg

Answer: don't step on the gas as hard. Seriously.

It isn't clear you're listening :/

There is zero reason for the manufacturer to leave even a little MPG on the table, AND you have a V8. It will never get decent MPG.

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
nubcake

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »

Seriously, if you want fuel economy on this exact car - get LPG installed, if it's available where you are. Probably makes much more sense than trying to outsmart Audi engineers.
prj

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »

And who the fuck are you?
Someone who calibrates ECU's for a living.
Actually I'm a vehicle technician and have been for the last 7 years. I'm also a university honours graduate in computing I'm very qualified to say what I've said. Unless you can prove to my why I can't do what I want with an ecu then shut up. Your post was inaccurate and irrelevant to the convo.
I never said I was better than the engineers, I'm not too fussed about power loss or how fast it goes, I just want it to be slightly more economical. If you cannot assist in this debate, please see youself out as I don't have time for idiots like you that don't know my background  Cool
So you are a wrench - does that make you qualified to say something about how ICE-s work? No.
Computing? No.
for example, dropping idle rpms on hot and cold starts
Idle RPM on hot start is a compromise between vibration and fuel efficiency. Also, Idle RPM is nearly irrelevant to fuel consumption unless your car spends the majority of time idling.
If the RPM is pushed below what it effectively can run, fuel consumption increases.
incrementally lower the amount of fuel used when driving (injector timing / fueling)
This means leaning out the mixture. The engine runs closed loop lambda 1 when cruising.
Putting it in open loop, then leaning this out significantly will lose power and increase fuel consumption.
or even cylinders used on idle e.g run 6 on idle 8 when in motion.
This is the main reason why I called you out. The engine will use a lot more fuel this way. Anyone who knows how engines work in the slightest knows this.
But not you.
Unless you manage to stop the intake and exhaust valves from opening, thus creating an air spring, all you do by cutting fuel to the cylinder is increase fuel consumption.
i would love to learn exvertything of everything to do with my ecu so i can change and make my own maps, do as i please without messing it up!!
but first i need to find a decent xdf to use on the bin i have
If you had 1/10th of the credentials you claim to have, you would already have built this xdf from the information that is found on this forum.

Good luck.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: