Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3831 times)
tate393

« on: November 01, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »

Okay. i just ordered a tuning book but i am completely new to this. I dont know what "maps" are and look like. what can u do with timing? what is Knock voltage, BDM read's, FPR readings, and what is a bench flash/ECU? some one help or at least guide me to a beginners thing. i read the wiki to and still am confused. thanks for ur patience. 
Jack_Snows

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »

Okay. i just ordered a tuning book but i am completely new to this. I dont know what "maps" are and look like. what can u do with timing? what is Knock voltage, BDM read's, FPR readings, and what is a bench flash/ECU? some one help or at least guide me to a beginners thing. i read the wiki to and still am confused. thanks for ur patience. 

Maps are basically text, 2D, or 3D data groups that direct the ECU how to control the engine.

You can advance timing or retard timing. This will help with off "boost power". The amount you can advance is relative to the fuel you're using. You really don't want 30* of timing at 6000RPM and 20 pounds of boost. It may lead to predetonation or knock which can destroy your engine.

I would do rigorous research before you actually flash an ECU.

First start by logging your current set up. Learn how it runs stock, then attempt to tune it once you have a grasp on all the terms you're inquiring about.
TTQS
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:41:29 AM »

My guide (based around 1.8T BAM & BFV) should answer many of your questions. I take you through basic stuff first, some of which is cherry-picked from Greg Banish's book on tuning.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,62.msg3330.html#msg3330

TTQS
tate393

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 07:45:41 AM »

My guide (based around 1.8T BAM & BFV) should answer many of your questions. I take you through basic stuff first, some of which is cherry-picked from Greg Banish's book on tuning.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php/topic,62.msg3330.html#msg3330

TTQS
thanks man. ya i have an mk4 1.8T so this will help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: