Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Author Topic: 2001 all-road 2.7 ST build  (Read 100467 times)
spacecadet

« on: August 28, 2016, 09:57:18 AM »

Summary:
2001 all-road i got off craigslist with STK conversion already done by PO. PO did things hastily and under the guise of creating a drift missle.(Weld diffs, rwd conversion, wiring harnesses resting on down pipes, chinese t66 turbo, ect) needless to say I have it torn apart and am rebuilding as I am wanting to build a nice DD for myself with a bit of grunt.

Right now I have the entire drive train torn apart and am rebuilding.

Currently:
-01e rebuild under way with JHM carbon syncros
-stock 2.7 heads at machine shop for inspection, pressure test, and valve job.
-block at machine shop for hot tank and hone
-rotating assembly will get balanced once block comes back with ok bill of health with IE forged rods.
-PTE5858 with .87 hot side on its way
-PTE 46mm wg
-EV14's on the way (298's)
-clutch went with JHM stage4 and rs4 pressure plate, already worried it may not be enough, we will see.

Undecided:
-thinking walbro 450 intank as it seems to drop into allroad tank/carrier
-sensors:
       maf: was planning on hitachi but not sure
       map: was planning stocker but now unsure
       primary 02's: was thinking pre turbo each bank as I'm worried about tuning with a single in the DP.

tuning:
Was thinking of tuning myself, still might, just scared at this point and still learning.

Goals:
I'd like this to be a daily driver with some grunt, but reliability will take precedence over power, give and take all that. The most power I'm looking for would be 500whp. If that could be achieved in a reliable set up, that's where I will stop. If to many reliability areas must be dropped to achieve that will happily tone the power down. Not really planning on launching it ever, high way rollers sure.

Well that's about it for now, will upload some pictures when I get my desktop back up and running.

please feel free to chime, any input is appreciated.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 10:21:12 AM »

I have an S4 at the shop with a build very similar to yours. Not a fan of the spool, but when it gets going, yeah it's fast. Not really something you could road race with, and too laggy for a DD in my opinion. Just making sure you know what it's going to feel like when you're done.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
spacecadet

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »

you say that because of the hot side?
vwaudiguy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »

you say that because of the hot side?

That, single turbo, and overall size of the turbo.

"If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL."
spacecadet

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 05:21:11 PM »

Ah understood and appreciate the input.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 08:25:27 PM »

I'm just saying, it might be a good idea to drive something similar to what you're building in advance to make sure it's going to drive the way you want. I enjoy my K03 tuned car a lot more than this 500 hp ST...At least on the street. Good example is that 1200 hp 16v turbo (Boba). It's only good in a straight line on the expressway at speeds that will land you in jail, or kill you, and making cool youtube videos. I have mad respect for their build, but I personally don't think the car would be fun to drive most of the time.

Carsinc

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »

SHHHHH stop telling the secrets of big turbos. I think everyone must have one to understand its not what they want.
The pursuit of a HP number forces men to do crazy things.
Spacecadet don't listen to this bs, I say get a bigger turbo i've always thought that single turbo 2.7t should be T4 60mm
compressor or larger. The vw audi world is spoiled by tiny little turbos that spool instantly, if this were a rb25 we would all be calling
him a chicken for not running a 67mm.

On a side note, I love big turbos but I would not drive one everyday they suck at that. I drive a na car, lots of torque and and no turbo
spool time.
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:42 PM »

Don't forget octane limitations.

Just because you have turbo that can do 40 psi doesn't mean you can get fuel to burn properly at the cylinder pressures in question

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
spacecadet

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:57:41 AM »

uh oh, all input considered but sort of at a point right now that financially changing or turning back is not an option. Onward, to disappointment!
Carsinc

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »

Don't forget octane limitations.

Just because you have turbo that can do 40 psi doesn't mean you can get fuel to burn properly at the cylinder pressures in question

Well there is always e85, and headspacers. I thought he said he wanted 500hp his setup should do that before 40psi.
My guess would be 25 to 28. I know you werent saying he would have to run 40psi, but I just want to give him some
hope.
spacecadet

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »

If you guys could look at my cam chain timing and verify I'd appreciate. I've checked about 15 times and would like to verify

Passenger head:

driver head:

Thanks.
vwaudiguy

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »

See attached.

spacecadet

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

appreciate that. I've verified it a few time just nervous.

I dont have a head bank that matches the above though, when on the marks they line up with a tooth and a pit like the 1.8t diagram.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:28:50 PM by spacecadet » Logged
spacecadet

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »

bank 2: tooth tooth i can match with 16.

bank 1: pit pit i can match if i do the service manual alignment as below which is how i originally timed them:
pit
 \
  |
  ^
mark ho head

if any of that or my ramblings make sense.

Looking like im good, pieces coming together!
vwaudiguy

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 01:44:18 PM »

I don't think that diagram could be any clearer. If you have a 2.7T, you have two banks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: