Pages: [1]
Author Topic: mileage correction?  (Read 12576 times)
missmouse

« on: November 02, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »

can the software do mileage correction on the ecu as well as the dash?
Aragorn

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 01:09:13 AM »

As far as i was aware the Motronic units dont store vehicle mileage.

The EDC15 ECU's on diesels do, but the petrol engines dont.

If they did store mileage, then it wouldnt be in the main EEPROM which nefmoto flashes, but in the smaller rom used for IMMO and vehicle VIN data. The smaller rom cant really be written properly over OBD, you need to use a standalone flasher hooked up directly to the chip itself.
angel15

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »

Ah, I read someplace the mileage IS stored in the ECU as well as the dash eprom? Isnt that how you can have mileage verified if you are suspicious of the odometer reading?
missmouse

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »

well Im hoping it IS because my dash has been stuck at 99999 miles for months & Id like to find a way to get it working again without having to buy a new unit Cry
If you have any ideas Id be V grateful. Ive tried several Ebay programs but they dont seem to recognise the cars ECU for some reason.

Ah, I read someplace the mileage IS stored in the ECU as well as the dash eprom? Isnt that how you can have mileage verified if you are suspicious of the odometer reading?
Aragorn

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 02:43:55 PM »

I doubt its anything to do with the cars ECU.

Sounds like some kinda EEPROM fault with the instrument cluster.

Everything i've read says only the Diesel ECU's log mileage. Maybe newer petrol ones do, but not ME7.
missmouse

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

hmm, thats a bummer cos although Ive been trying to keep a rough log of the mileage, after my bump last month the insurance company isnt too happy with the odometer not working. - Ive got an agreed mileage policy & while they have accepted the dash has a fault at present, they are expecting me to fix it ASAP. Looks like Ill have to give up on this DIY idea & pay someone to repair it or buy a 2nd hans / new dash!
  phoned a guy in glasgow ages ago that does mileage correction but he said he cant guarantee he can fix it but he would have to unsolder something & it will be £150.
TTQS
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 07:01:39 AM »

hmm, thats a bummer cos although Ive been trying to keep a rough log of the mileage, after my bump last month the insurance company isnt too happy with the odometer not working. - Ive got an agreed mileage policy & while they have accepted the dash has a fault at present, they are expecting me to fix it ASAP. Looks like Ill have to give up on this DIY idea & pay someone to repair it or buy a 2nd hans / new dash!
  phoned a guy in glasgow ages ago that does mileage correction but he said he cant guarantee he can fix it but he would have to unsolder something & it will be £150.

I agree it does sound more like an instrument cluster fault. What kind of car have you got? Early Audi TT 8N were notorious for this. Have you tried all the usual obvious stuff like running a fault code scan on the instrument cluster to see what is returned then clearing them, or pulling fuses/disconnecting the battery for a time to see if that clears it?

TTQS
missmouse

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »

I agree it does sound more like an instrument cluster fault. What kind of car have you got? Early Audi TT 8N were notorious for this. Have you tried all the usual obvious stuff like running a fault code scan on the instrument cluster to see what is returned then clearing them, or pulling fuses/disconnecting the battery for a time to see if that clears it?

TTQS

Its a b5 RS4 that I have. Yes Ive read this is a common fault on TT's Ive also read on some forums that some have fixed it by simply removing the dash & then refitting after a few hours! Kinda hard to see how that would work but sometimes it works with your home computer so I might give that a go next!
Thanks
TTQS
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »

Ive also read on some forums that some have fixed it by simply removing the dash & then refitting after a few hours! Kinda hard to see how that would work but sometimes it works with your home computer so I might give that a go next!
Thanks

I would try removing the fuse for the instrument cluster (or just disconnect the battery for a time and then refitting it first because that might just have the same effect as removing the dash itself but with a lot less hassle. Always try the simple things first!  Wink

TTQS
julex

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »

B5 S4 stores mileage only in cluster. Get a new cluster and vag-commander it with the same cable you're currently using for nefmoto. Vag-commander can be downloaded for free on internet (some hacked version but it works.... don't ask me how I know Smiley)

As to the removing of dash, no need really. All you need to do to "restart it" is either disconnect power cable FOR AT LEAST 1-2 minutes or pull the fuse for similar amount of time. I would be patient and do 5 minutes at least.

Dash doesn't reset for any shorter amount of time without power since it seems to store enough juice internally to last through short power outages.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 08:48:15 AM by julex » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: