Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: running lean  (Read 45478 times)
golfputtputt

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »

Boost PID needs work.

Boost seems to go where it wants to in this screencap. WGDC seems to follow boost desired. Not quite sure how to tweak PIS to reign in the boost erratic behavior. Would this be P,I, or D?

What map would need to be tweaked?

nyet
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »

Can you post a normal 3rd gear wot pull csv already?

ME7.1 tuning guide (READ FIRST)
ECUx Plot
ME7Sum checksum checker/corrrector for ME7.x

Please do not ask me for tunes. I'm here to help people make their own.

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
golfputtputt

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »

no, because my turbocharger is not balanced correctly, sorry. I don't have issues with boost at WOT.

Any way you can help with just PT logs? I'm trying to do some learning and studying, not quite ready to tune the car yet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:17:47 PM by golfputtputt » Logged
golfputtputt

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 12:50:22 PM »

Also, it's not listed anywhere that I can find:
what is ps_w and rl_w?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 01:04:12 PM »

Also, it's not listed anywhere that I can find:

Including the FR and the s4wiki?

ECUx Plot

Do not PM me technical questions! Please, ask all questions on the forums! Doing so will ensure the next person with the same issue gets the opportunity to learn from your experience.
golfputtputt

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 07:40:48 PM »

oops sorry, was looking at the wrong section

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »

Why would you go to a hotter spark plug if the plugs are burning out Huh Shocked  You need to go to a colder plug  Grin A hotter plug is not the fix !

Poor quality lingers long after the price is forgotten ....
golfputtputt

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 07:35:32 AM »

So my PID needs work. I'm still unsure how to interpret logs for PID problems, What do i look at, what variables do I log? Calc PID? I've been reading the s4 tuning wiki over and over and over and I still don't understand it, I've also watched an assortment of videos on PID control and none of those really got through to me. I'll have to rewatch them a few more times. I find myself to be good at math but without a live human to explain it to my face, I'm just not understanding it. The whole thing is confusing so I can't really pinpoint specific things to ask.
The 'I' in PID is the desired setpoint correct? The 'P' is the amount of overshoot and undershoot it takes to find the setpoint and the 'D' is what is responsible for learning patterns to reduce amount of over and undershoot to find the setpoint during fluctuating operation over time?

Is this a crazyman's explanation of PID? I def feel like I don't have the whole picture, let alone how to apply it to how ME7.5 functions. Does anyone have a suuuuuuper laymen's description of this stuff? Is PID only responsible for part throttle boost conditions? Is the PID only put to use by the n75 or is the throttle used to meet PID output also?

I did a WOT 3rd gear log the other day after restricting LDRXN to 7 PSI so It's less likely that I blow up my turbo. Fuel is still off when I thought I had it dialed in. It goes off course from desired AFR at high rpms and kind of sways around a bit before that. Not sure if BTS or AWKR is responsible as I am not fueling through LAMFA anymore.

I will post that when I get home. new log should have ps_w. I tried editting the config file to have more available title information but when I save and load into VisualME7Logger, It reverts to the old changes when I pull up the csv.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:38:20 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
prj

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »

Stop what you are doing, it's a waste of time.
You need to make WOT logs. If you have a chinese turbo, that you are worried is going to blow up when you floor it, then LOL.

Why would you go to a hotter spark plug if the plugs are burning out Huh Shocked  You need to go to a colder plug  Grin A hotter plug is not the fix !
NGK - higher number = colder.

PM's will not be answered, so don't even try.
Log your car properly.
golfputtputt

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 09:13:28 AM »

I did make a WOT log. I said i'd post that when i got home....
??

Turbo is genuine BW VW to my knowledge (came with the car when I bought it so I can only assume it's genuine, tag blue dye had been removed by oils, or solvents It was, come to think of it, it did raise some eyebrows as I think I looked for the KKK triangle and couldn't find one, can't be sure I looked hard enough though). I attempted to rebuild it as i was getting oil in the intake tract. When i opened it up i found a smooshed and hardened o-ring on the compressor side, i bought a rebuild kit with all the fixings and took it apart. As i did some research, i followed the instruction of "dont mark or dent a small turbo such as k03 to mark the balanced position as this can permanently throw off the balance due to the internal rotating components small size and would need to be professionally rebalanced and machined." I called like 6 places and none of them said they worked on turbos that small. So, i marked the turbo with whiteout the best i could and removed the nut, the mark got smeared a bit but not enough to completely lose my position. I got it back in place as close as i could and i can confidently say i got it really close but i can't 100% guarantee its where it should be.

So, i limited boost to 7 psi down from 11 (using LDRXN), took the risk and did the WOT log. I could buy a genuine BW VW turbo replacement but thats like $800+$100 for gaskets and nuts ans studs and all hardware and such and i already had intentions to upgrade my turbo, so i took the dive and bought the gt2860rs. Now i'm here. Now you know the story. I'm not sure if the turbo I have will blow up but I'm not financially or time prepared to replace it, with buying the turbo kit and all. (taking this turbo in and out is like a 40+ hour job for me with no help available) You can judge me for my decision but I think in the long run, it was what is best for the car.

How do ya'll take WOT logs in 3rd all the time?? Here in New England, finding a straight enough road that isn't a patrolled highway is like winning the lottery. Also, If you get caught going 100+ anywhere on public roads, you lose your car, your license and you spend a bunch of time in jail and a bunch of money to post bail. It's an automotive and career death sentence essentially. How do you get away with it? how do people do this relatively safely without getting caught???

I'll post the log when i get home.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:17:03 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
golfputtputt

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 09:37:55 AM »

Pic is turbo tag. Looks genuine to me aside from lack of blue paint/dye.

Like i said, this turbo came with the car when i bought it 110,000 miles ago.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:44:38 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
golfputtputt

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »

Here's the WOT log in 3rd. Any idea whats going on with my fueling?

Any thoughts on my questions on PID?
nyet
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2016, 05:43:18 PM »

The 'I' in PID is the desired setpoint correct?
No.

The 'P' is the amount of overshoot and undershoot it takes to find the setpoint

No

'D' is what is responsible for learning patterns to reduce amount of over and undershoot to find the setpoint during fluctuating operation over time?

No

I have no idea where you are getting any of that from, since I can't find a single description of PIDs that says anything like any of the three.

Does anyone have a suuuuuuper laymen's description of this stuff?
I have no idea how to answer that. If you don't know what an integral or a derivative is, there is no way to answer that easily.

The wikipedia entry on PIDs is as good as it is going to get for you.

Is PID only responsible for part throttle boost conditions?

No, it is always active. Certainly you can see it doing something WOT, no?

Is the PID only put to use by the n75 or is the throttle used to meet PID output also?

Genearally n75, but the throttle will close (see also throttle cut, discussed in detail on the s4 wiki) if the PID detects a gross error (extended overshoot).

I did a WOT 3rd gear log the other day after restricting LDRXN to 7 PSI so It's less likely that I blow up my turbo. Fuel is still off when I thought I had it dialed in. It goes off course from desired AFR at high rpms and kind of sways around a bit before that. Not sure if BTS or AWKR is responsible as I am not fueling through LAMFA anymore.

You can log both to find out but tabgm_w should pretty much answer that question for you.

ECUx Plot

golfputtputt

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »

If you are unable or uneilling to help, why are you posting a reply to my question?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:10:58 AM by golfputtputt » Logged
SB_GLI

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:41 AM »

what do you feel is wrong with fueling?  Actual lambda is lining up perfectly with requested until after 5,500rpm when it starts to go rich.

Are you concerned with the request?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: