Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How can I edit the VIN in an EEPROM dump of an immo3 cluster using a hex editor?  (Read 16535 times)
jrelder

Hi,

So I have finally got my immo3 B5.5 FIS cluster which replaces my immo2 B5 MFA cluster Cheesy

I have done the key matching, soft coding, distance to empty, welcome message and illuminated needles/dials. The cluster works perfectly.

However, as it is an immo3 cluster, it contains the VIN of the previous vehicle in the EEPROM. Now I know this isn't important as it doesn't affect the operation, but as I have the EEPROM dump and the ability to read/write to the cluster EEPROM I would like to change this VIN to my vehicle's VIN for completeness. Does anyone happen to know how I can do this?

Thanks,
James
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

have you tried to open eeprom with a hex editor?  Roll Eyes
jrelder

have you tried to open eeprom with a hex editor?  Roll Eyes

Yes I have, but i'm not sure which addresses to change exactly. I'm also not sure if I will face any checksum issues or anything like that?
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

well then
use visualme7logger - tools - eeprom
jrelder

well then
use visualme7logger - tools - eeprom

Thanks for the info, the following may sound stupid and if so I'm sorry Cheesy

Would it be possible for you to briefly explain how to use the EEProm Tools in visualme7logger?

When I open it, I leave the EEProm Application Path to it's default (ME7_95040.exe) and then under Bin Path I select my EEPROM dump. Then I clicked Read (File) and I was presented with "INCORRECT FILE SIZE. EXPECTED 512 BYTES" under the VIN, SKC and Immobilise ID fields. I suspect it's because i'm using the wrong Application Path? Do I need a different path for the Cluster EEPROM vs the ECU or something? The EEPROM dump I opened is direct from my cluster and is the same one that it is currently using successfully...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:13:52 AM by jrelder » Logged
macxxx

Yes I have, but i'm not sure which addresses to change exactly. I'm also not sure if I will face any checksum issues or anything like that?
Use a hex editor with a parallel ascii view like Neo hex editor or something like that. 

No checksum in that area of your cluster so don't worry about it.
jrelder

Use a hex editor with a parallel ascii view like Neo hex editor or something like that. 

No checksum in that area of your cluster so don't worry about it.

Okay I can manage that but I thought the VIN was stored in 3 places, two of which are in the encrypted portion?

Also should I change the immobiliser ID to match my vehicle? I'm not sure if this ID is supposed to correspond to the cluster or the vehicle?
fknbrkn

mk4 1.8T AUM

oh sorry
what a day, i thought you mean 95040 from ecu Smiley
jrelder

oh sorry
what a day, i thought you mean 95040 from ecu Smiley

Haha no problem! I thought as much when I started looking into visualme7logger, but at least I've extended my knowledge and now know something about ECU programming/tools
ianpgonzaga

Okay I can manage that but I thought the VIN was stored in 3 places, two of which are in the encrypted portion?

Also should I change the immobiliser ID to match my vehicle? I'm not sure if this ID is supposed to correspond to the cluster or the vehicle?

i am guessing you are changing the code on a 2nd hand cluster?

you need to match ALL data up so that is

SKC
VIN
IMMO

from the data of the ECU's EEPROM as they need to match. try finding "VAG EEPROM TOOL" that will be one of the easiest ways to edit your cluster's file

open up your emu's EEPROM so you can gather the relevant 3 pieces of information.

transfer them into the cluster's file. you should be able to tell what value you need in vag eeprom tool by moving the cursor so it is highlighting the beginning of the VIN/SKC/IMMO on the right hand side.

note you will be inputting hex values and not simply typing in your VIN. The characters on the right will change as you input the correct coding from your ECU file.
ianpgonzaga

i was able to figure it out by reading "automan001" post

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6161.15

and check out my post here of when i bricked a cluster LOL

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=10199.0title=
jrelder

i am guessing you are changing the code on a 2nd hand cluster?

you need to match ALL data up so that is

SKC
VIN
IMMO

from the data of the ECU's EEPROM as they need to match. try finding "VAG EEPROM TOOL" that will be one of the easiest ways to edit your cluster's file

open up your emu's EEPROM so you can gather the relevant 3 pieces of information.

transfer them into the cluster's file. you should be able to tell what value you need in vag eeprom tool by moving the cursor so it is highlighting the beginning of the VIN/SKC/IMMO on the right hand side.

note you will be inputting hex values and not simply typing in your VIN. The characters on the right will change as you input the correct coding from your ECU file.

Thanks for your reply, yes it's for a 2nd hand cluster,  but as it's an immo3 cluster in an immo2 car it will not automatically learn the new vehicles details.

I understand I can change the visible values using a hex editor,  but what from I have read the VIN is stored at 3 locations in the EEPROM, only one of which is in the unencrypted part. How can I change the other two locations?
jrelder

i was able to figure it out by reading "automan001" post

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6161.15

and check out my post here of when i bricked a cluster LOL

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=10199.0title=

Thanks for that, his post will be very useful. However I'm still not clear on whether or not the VIN is in fact stored at 3 locations in the EEPROM, only one of which is in the unencrypted area? From what I have read this is the case and if so how can I change the other two references to the VIN?
macxxx

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 12:02:58 AM »

Know I found out that we are talking about vw cluster Wink

I have made only Audi xxx920xxx clusters but it shouldn't be much more complicated...
jrelder

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 12:36:32 AM »

Know I found out that we are talking about vw cluster Wink

I have made only Audi xxx920xxx clusters but it shouldn't be much more complicated...

I see, well this is a VW xxx920xxx cluster and I would have expected they would be the same tbh. We're the Audio cluster you have done immo3? And did you need to change the VIN in 3 places in the EEPROM?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: